Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brainwashed another Thomas, errr... Recruited another member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Brainwashed another Thomas, errr... Recruited another member Reply with quote

We had a big game of Fed Comm planned for Saturday the 19th... The Battle of Juggernaut Alpha (CL #33). Unfortunately, after getting the board set-up... the players started dropping one by one due to various reasons.
Once it got down to just two of us, I was going to suggest a different scenario (although we'd been looking forward to playing this one on the big table for a while; as you can actually get the whole board [including the planet!] on it at one time).
When in walks my 18 year old daughter who's bored and loookign for something to do. We gave her the Juggernaut.

I ran the game and called the impulses, Jessie played the Juggernaut.
Kenneth "Close'n Hose" Thomas ran the Klignon D7C and the Orion CR. Merl "Stinger" DeWitt playedthe Fed CC and the Tholian CA.

Turn 1, Jessie plotted speed 24 and veered towards the right (closing with the D7C). The turn ended with her and the Klingon exchanging long range fire. The Klingon took the worst of it (3 Ph-4s and 10 P-1s = no #2 shield and 13 internals); although the Juggernaut took 38 points to the #3 armor. Long range shooting from the other units reduced the #5 armor by almost 25 points, too.

Turn 2, Jessie again plotted speed 24 and continued moving to the right. As everyone was closing, Kenny (true to his name) moved to range 1 off the #4 facing and fired. The rotating shield held 8 points of power and the combined fire from 3 ships did 78 points of damage.
The Tholian CA managed another 13 points to the #5 armor.
So far, all internals have hit row 1 on the DAC.
The return fire from the Juggernaut did 146 points of damage to the D7C. It just, sorta evaporated.
Non-facing weapons fired at the Orion CA at range 1. In spite of the stealth coating, the Juggy scored 26 internals.

Turn 3, Armor 3 and 5 repaired 10 points each... 8 points in the rotating shield, speed 24.
The Orion doubled his engines (no Stealth bonus!)
the Tholian CA and the Fed CC were endeavoring to stay on the #5 facing while the Orion stayed on the #3.
At this point, I have to give Merl and Kenny credit for valid tactics. Every impulse they fired a new volley into the 33 and 35 facings. Each time, they scored between 30 and 35 points of damage. Not enough to snap the rotating shield, but enough to cause an additional 15 to 20 internals per fire. Always targeting power.
The Orion tried to sit in the sweet spot between the RA and Fa arcs for Turn 3 (and managed it until nearly the end). When he mistimed his move and ended up in the FA arc, the Juggernaut fired 3 Ph-4s at him and 3 Ph-4s and 7 Ph-1s at the Tholian.
The Orion just went "Poof!" and was gone. The Tholian lost Shield #2 and 90% of it's boxes (although most of what was left was power).

Turn 4, the Juggernaut plotted speed 8 (all it could afford) and 7 to the rotating shield.
The Tholian stayed at a distance while the Fed CC closed in.
More long range fire at the #5 shield resulted in more internals on the Juggernaut.
At this point, we realized we'd never explained "Cargo" to jessire and she'd not taken a single hit on those boxes so her damage recieved was out of whack... oops
And for whatever reason, she'd not marked the numbered Right Warp, Center Warp, Left Warp engine boxes damaged but had instead started below those. For two turns, she'd not counted those 6 points of power as being available... double oops.
Fire this turn damaged the tholian and the Fed CC, but not critically. They OTOH managed to score more damage against the Juggernaut. Merl was kind and allowed Jessie to take it all as Cargo until that was gone, but then... more power hits.

Turn 5, the end is in site...
The Juggernaut plotted speed 0 and 5 to the rotating shield.
The Tholian and Fed tried to manuever for advantageous shots and succeeded against an immobile target.
Finally out of desperation, Jessie fired every weapon that beared. The Tholian Ca took enough damage to go away. The Fed CC lost a shield and took 6 non-critic internals.

Turn 6... The Juggernaut has 3 power remaining and the Fed CC has two damaged shields (#2 and #6) and almost all power and weapons. Photons are not loaded, but the end is obvious so Jessie surrendered.

Mistakes were made, but the game was a blast. And Jessie now wants to play again the next time we get together, so another player was recruited and the game day was a success.
rexbinary
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Smile
Davyj0427
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to take advantage of that poor girl. Very Happy Just kidding sound like a great time! I hope when my daughters are older they will want to play my silly games with me. Better yet I hope they will want to talk to me when they are 18. Sounds like some great father daughter bonding.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the blood. It was just a matter of time... Wink
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davyj0427 wrote:
Sounds like some great father daughter bonding.

Using a tractor beam of course....
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another family spending time together.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: