Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed 40 Plasma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think EPTs are unbalancing in FC at all. If I had added them to the game, they would be Romulan use only (as the Roms invented them), and that would differentiate the Roms and Gorns plasma. The Gorns have all the cool things, like caronnades, don't the Rommies derserve some flavor?

However, the NEED for EPTs is probably not there.

As for SABOT... no. I don't see them in FC. For many reasons, especially because it does not work with the move system well.
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
OK, just so we have a common ground to work from ...

If you want to play with envelopers, it would work like this:
- Can only make G/S/R torpedoes enveloping.
- Cost to make a warhead enveloping is the same as the last turn of arming. This energy is applied at the point of launch. This can be done to a held torpedo.
- Warhead strength is doubled.
- Damage is applied as evenly as possible to all of opponent's shields. Defender applies points (and so chooses where the "odd points" go).
- Each shield (or PA bank) is indeed a separate volley (as Gary points out). Units without shields just take full damage.
- I would have to look up various special cases. For now, ignore them.

The point of this is not to endorse the idea (or argue against it). The point is simply to give a starting point to talk from so we all know what "enveloping plasma" means in Federation Commander.

We have been allowing EPTs as a house rule in our campaign so I can comment to some degree.

First I will say that while nice at times they are not the solution. EPTs so far:

1) Guarantee that a newbie will run away from just a single plasma. They are "scary".
2) Generate shield damage against "veterans" who choose to eat the enveloper.

1 & 2 mean you can influence the behavior of both "vets" and "newbs" with envelopers to make mistakes. IMHO you *think* you can afford to eat the enveloper but in reality (on a location map) if you don't get an overload shot for your efforts those shield boxes will come back to haunt you.

3) They can be used during the second phase of plasma to hit down shields.

4) This does help with the problem of shield-shifting that can tend to hurt a plasma ship doing plasma ballet. Usually the target of the seeking weapon has a lot of control over which shield facing is struck. Also most plasma ballets are actually won with phasers. Hitting with an EPT can "prep" all the shields simultaneously so that phasers (or phasers augmented by an F bolt) can generate internals. An S EPT can drop the rear shields on a typical cruiser to 12-15 boxes. And with the damage all around there is not as much that can be done with the 5-box shift.

5) In larger actions they can be mixed with regular torps to force an opponent seeking to phaser away the damage to accept the EPT shield damage because the non-EPT torps are the immediate risk of internals.

There is also a disadvantage of EPT unique to FC: the use of reserve power for shield reinforcement is very efficient since each shield facing is a separate volley.

That being said, I have yet to see a battle won because I had EPTs that I would not have won without them.

Also, I am the only plasma user in a large campaign so most of the new players are still getting used to plasma and falling victim to old tried and true techniques.

Plasma ships are road-kill for experienced players unless the scenario compels engagement or has fixed objectives for the plasma ship to blow up.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I don't think EPTs are unbalancing in FC at all. If I had added them to the game, they would be Romulan use only (as the Roms invented them), and that would differentiate the Roms and Gorns plasma. The Gorns have all the cool things, like caronnades, don't the Rommies derserve some flavor?

However, the NEED for EPTs is probably not there.

If EPTs are added to FC, everyone gets them. The Romulan-only tech is the cloak. The carronade was in response to that, and itself needs no response.

Quote:
As for SABOT... no. I don't see them in FC. For many reasons, especially because it does not work with the move system well.

Actually, speed 40 plasma works perfectly in the FC movement system. Simply give the plasma one extra move after everything else has moved that impluse. It actually slips in quite seamlessly. There is, mechanically, no problem making plasma speed 40.

The issue is that it probably makes plasma too good.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Actually, speed 40 plasma works perfectly in the FC movement system. Simply give the plasma one extra move after everything else has moved that impluse. It actually slips in quite seamlessly. There is, mechanically, no problem making plasma speed 40.

The issue is that it probably makes plasma too good.

Well, yeah, speed 40 is too good. Agreed. Launch at anybody at medium range and see them go down in flames. SABOT was meant as a balance to other later SFB tech, wasn't it?

As for the move system, speed 40 does work, but I just like to keep things simple for FC. There are four move subpulses, therfore there should be a limit. Anything that moves more than four times an impulse just doesn't "fit" my idea of FC. Smells like SFB to me. LOL

Oh, BTW: All my posts are IMHO. Peace!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
Well, yeah, speed 40 is too good. Launch at anybody at medium range and see them go down in flames. SABOT was meant as a balance to other later SFB tech, wasn't it?

Plasma sabot was introduced in SFB because late war ships were just too fast for plasma to catch. Well, most of the ships in FC are those same "late war" ships that necessitated plasma sabot in SFB. So, using speed 40 plasma is not as indefensible as it sounds.

Quote:
Oh, BTW: All my posts are IMHO. Peace!

Sure. Same as everyone else. Smile I just was pointing out that it fits pretty well. (In fact, it works better than I had thought it would at first glance.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about speed 36 plasma that moves the additional hexes on the even numbered impulses only?
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer random speed plasma. It moves d6-1 (0 to 5) hexes per impulse.

EET IZ CRAZEEE!!!!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I prefer random speed plasma. It moves d6-1 (0 to 5) hexes per impulse.

EET IZ CRAZEEE!!!!

OK... now I have a wicked idea for our next gaming session. Thanks Eric. Cool
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krellex wrote:
What about speed 36 plasma that moves the additional hexes on the even numbered impulses only?

I thought of that too. I'd say playtest speed 40 and fall back to 36 if 40 is too good.

Frankly I'm not positive 40 is too good. In reality it extends the range of an S torp by about 5 hexes (before it is too weak to really matter) and an F torp by 3 hexes.

I see it this way. In FC currently a Fed CA can close to range 4 at speed 24, dump full overloads and HET and not be struck by plasma. (36+4-24-8=8 power = 3 impulses at 24+1 which means that an S torp will impact for 2 points of damage 7 impulses later. With speed 40 torps the same tactic results in the S torps impacting 4 impulses later (assume no turn breaks) for 22 each.

Now yes, I know that plasma ships that launch in reaction to a range 4 shot should probably have controlled the range better, but the fact remains that with speed 32 torps such a faceroll push-fire-HET maneuver really is a winner for the Fed. And with a similar strategy a range-8 shot is perfectly safe.

And this entirely ignores the many ships out there with a better power curve than the Fed CA like the NCL and DW that can zip around the entire turn at 24+1 with full overloads or disruptor races which can always be fast when they choose due to not even having to decide to arm weapons to start the turn.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Plasma sabot was introduced in SFB because late war ships were just too fast for plasma to catch. Well, most of the ships in FC are those same "late war" ships that necessitated plasma sabot in SFB. So, using speed 40 plasma is not as indefensible as it sounds.

You hit the nail on the head Mike. Similar issues we're seeing in FC now.

40 seems like the sweet spot given the configuration of the ships that are in the game and the simplicity of the mechanic. For speed 36, I would always forget if I moved it twice on an odd impulse. It's all I can do to keep from attempting to make fire decisions on sub-pulses ala SFB.

IF sabots make the plasma empires a little better than the average it would still be more balanced than it is now.
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am personally not advocating for or against a plasma change at this time because I have not analyzed the issue in enough detail, but...

If there was a change, it seems to me that speed 40 or speed 36 plasmas would be a far better change than EPTs.

EPTs give the plasma ship an advantage and disadvantages at the same time. The advantage is obviously a stronger torpedo. But I see two disadvantages:
1. The extra power needed for the EPT would further slow down the firing ship (speed is life, especially in FC)
2. Spreading the damage across 6 shields on an undamaged ship might not be a deterent.

If I was a Federation cruiser with overloaded photons and my plasma opponent fired an EPT or two, I might be temped to still close and fire the overloaded photons. I might lose significant shield strength on all sides but it would be worth it for a killing blow with my alpha strike. My alpha strike would be much easier to achieve since the firing ship would be slowed down by all the extra energy put into the plasma.

Alternatively, outrunning an EPT is just as easy or difficult as outrunning any other speed 32 torpedo so I don't think an EPT would solve any complaints related to not being able to hit the enemy with plasmas.

I don't think EPTs would be a big plus for me because of these reasons.

Also, just increasing the speed of plasmas does not radically change the dynamics of plasma ships, it just makes them stronger; analogous to the Kzinti buying speed 32 drones.

Adding EPTs might cause other unforseen consequences that no one has thought of yet. As a SW engineer I am particularly sensitive to the fact that the more radical the change to an algorithm the more significant the risk of causing a bad unforseen consequence.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed 40 or 36 might balance Gorn/Roms, but it would probably make ISC/Orions too powerful. If you choose to limit the faster speed to just the Gorn/Rom, then a similar point Gorn/Rom ship would slaughter the equivalent pointed ISC plasma ship in a straight duel.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which would be more powerful.

Speed 40 plasmas
or
speed 32 EPT's that divide damage across the three facing shields of impact instead of all six like SFB EPT's?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If EPTs get included in FC, I can't imagine they'd have a big change to them like the number of shields damaged.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After listening to the SFU 141 podcast I believe there's a misconception that EPT's are equivalent overloads for plasma.

An overload with comparable effectiveness to other empires would need a better method of delivering the damage. Even with some type of true overload, the problem of being able to hit the target and waiting three turns for another opportunity still exists. Given the fact everyone uses positron flywheels, there's no reason to slow down without adding "fiddly" rules.

Introducing sabot plasmas might require fast drones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: