Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thread Necromancy what is it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Thread Necromancy what is it? Reply with quote

Could someone explain Thread necromancy? AM new user. Does it mean leave old threads alone? Or what ? Confused

Last edited by Capt Jack on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't experienced it here. I say, go ahead and post to an old topic if you have a relevant comment. Anything to keep things active and jazzed.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread necomancy is where you take a long dead thread (oh, say last post was in November 2009) and tack on a message to the end as if the conversation had no delay between the last post and the previous post. Doing this is considered bad form by most users (believe me, I will be told when it happens a lot) and is generally discouraged on most forums.

In general, I don't mind it much, with a few caveats:
1) Acknowledge in the post that the thread has been long dormant. This helps people realize that the conversation is actually disjointed.
2) Add actual content. Don't just make a simple comment or throw-away line. Add enough content to justify bringing the thread back.
3) Do it in moderation. Don't spend the day just pulling lots of threads back from the past. If you need to bring a thread back, bring it back, but don't do several all at once.
4) Make sure there is not an active thread that is more appropriate to use.

So, unlike some forums, we are not saying don't do it. We are, however, saying do it in moderation and really add to the conversation.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! For reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: