Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega Conversion Project (version 2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those the only Federal Republic ships? That's only like, what, ten or so? They're as small as the LDR!

Something I would like to see is the Kolhigar (or whatever they're called). They seem interesting to me, could someone explain their weapons.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the only FRA ships named in published SFB scenarios; they had many more ships in actual service (but which, right now, do not have official designations).

That said, they are a relatively small empire compared to their various neighbours; but, as their impact on Omega history can show, size isn,t everything.

The Koligahr have ships made of bubble-shaped pieces launched into orbit and assembled into a working ship.

Their microphasers roll to hit like a disruptor, and have an advantage against plasma.

Their antimatter cannons are sort of halfway between a disruptor and a photon; in SFB, there's a strict 32-impulse (i.e. one full turn's worth) limit between consecutive firings whenused normally.

They have an antimatter cloud generator, which is targeted on a hex (not on a particular target); it's able to score damage on several objects in the hex at once, and is useful at trying to deal with incoming seeking weapons (more so than enemy ships, againt which they are fairly ineffective).

They get a bit of attention in SFB from some circles, given how their microphasers impact encounters with Alpha Octant plasma empires; but when set in their historical environment, they don't seem to have much in the way of balance issues.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... how would those animatter cannons port to FC? Maybe they could have an impulse-fired chart like the ADDs that is not erased at the end of turns. It's erased the next time you arrive at that impulse on the turn after firing. I know the Particle Cannon rules were changed, but with such a big change in these weapons reducing the reload times doesn't seem fair.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a rough first go at Koligahr rules in the old thread for v1; the ACs would get an impulse used track like the particle cannon, yeah (but for a different reason).
semperatis
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the person who named the two frigates Guardian and Vindicator was a comic book fan.(Both names refer to the same comic book character from Alpha Flight).

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes.

semperatis
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal tastes would have to include one of the OCA's being named Glasgow,I can't believe that there isn't already a Glasgow somewhere in the lists.
The DD's I feel should be named after pre-dreadnought light(scout) cruisers which would fit in well with your penchance for the FRG names,(any navy).
e.g.
Archer;Porpoise;Pelorus;Prometheus;Meteor;Comet;Gefion;Hela;Niobe; Thetis;Medusa;Frauenlob;Roland;Villars;Calabria;Umbria;Etruria;Agordat; Sumatra;Utrecht;Aragon;Castilla ,that should give you enough names to be going on with.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there could be a CLA called the Edinburgh instead...

...but seriously, given the part-Klingon heritage for the DDs, one could argue that some of them should have Klingon-derived ship names, too.

(Actually, in a submission I made for an SFB battlegroup, I named the BC in the force Kraknora; though I wouldn't assign too much officiality to that name unless it was accepted as such. I like the idea of naming the battlecruisers after the FRA member planets themselves, though yet again that is just me; and that would also run into the part where we don't actually know what most of those planets are actually called. Heh.)
semperatis
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Edinburgh didn't have as illustrious a career as the Glasgow had,besides which,the Edinburgh was a BB,(Colossus class turret ship 1897). Not only that,but Glasgow had the reputation as being one the pre-emminent shipbuilding cities in the world, something that Edinburgh cannot boast of.
Not only that,but HMS Glasgow was built here in the Fairfield yard in Glasgow itself in 1910,the very same yard that has just seen the launch of HMS Defender & Hms Duncan.

DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a partial set of Souldra rule conversions done. Dark Matter Pulsars, Dark Matter Torpedoes and the Dimensional Phase Device are done. Next is the Dark Matter Damage Procedure but I want a little input before I get started on that.

Is the Dark Matter Damage Procedure worth keeping in FC even in a modified and simple form? My answer, yes.

I have a system in mind that keeps the spirit of the SFB version alive but is much simpler and provides an easy fix for the Black shards vampirisim.

I can post the basic idea here if that is allowed.

Opinions?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen or heard anything removing the ability to post up playtest rules here, but I'm not in a position of authority in that regard.

That said, I was planning on posting any pre-playtest draft rules I was going to cook up here anyway, so...

I should re-iterate that, in my view (and it is only my view), the Souldra would work well in concert with the Loriyill and Singers; though I would probably want to keep that trio in reserve until after the five current empires get more formally established, and the other Superpowers (Koligahr and Vari) get added in the next wave (should there be one; and even if there was, I'd want to keep those empires on hold until the first five are good to go).
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree about the Souldra/Singer/Loriyill trio. I'm planning to take a crack at the Loriyill next actually.

Once I get done with the Souldra rules I'll drop the draft in here for review.
semperatis
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any info as to how many FRA CVS ships were built? The implication is that there were more built than just the Typhoon.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are listed in the SFB Master Ship Chart as Regular Production Warships, though no data is published laying out exactly how many were built.

(Indeed, there is no data on the FRA's economy at all, or on just how many ships of all classes they were able to build, with or without any outside help.)
semperatis
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pertinant question for you,just what all generic ships can the FRA have? Do they for instance have access to all the normal freighter variants,I know that they won't have a monitor though,but would they have access to the Prime Corvette model for instance?If they do,I think that she would be armed with light photons rather than standard ones,or would it just be the normal Free Trader model?

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Captain's Log #20, there are SSDs for four Maesron-designed civilian ships which were adopted (peacefully or otherwise) by several other Omega Octant empires; the Aurorans picked up those designs as part of an agreement signed with the new Alliance in 2562.

(The SSDs list which phaser and/or heavy weapon type the hulls use, depending on who flies them; the Alliance uses wide-angle phasers and tachyon guns, the Probr quantum phasers and HEATs, etc.)

As far as what Alpha Octant civilian ships the FRA had, it's not formally stated anywhere; though I would hope it might be something addressed at some point.

(By the way, over in SFB, there seems to be a revision of the Omega Master Rulebook in the works...)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: