Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space Dragon Scenario questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Space Dragon Scenario questions Reply with quote

Our group recently played a variant of the Space Dragon scenario. We had 3 Space Dragons vs. LDR NCA, Kzinti CC and Hydran IRQ.

During the game a few questions came up where we could not come to consensus:

1. A Space Dragon takes wing damage that drops it below the threshold for a lower base speed. Does the new lower base speed take effect immediately (i.e. next impulse) or does it wait to take effect until the speed declaration phase of the next turn?

2. When a Space Dragon loses entire parts of its body due to damage, skips on the damage rolls inevitably occur. Are skips treated as misses or are they rerolled until an available body part is hit?

3. Can the ships tractor the Space Dragons? Can Space Dragons apply negative tractor? If negative tractor is possible, is that power removed from speed?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications!
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure that Space Dragons, along with other "biological" monsters, should be immune to tractor beams.

(Indeed, in the SFB rules for Branthodon dragonships, the rule covering tractoring notes that the only reason why they can be tractored is because of the exoskeleton "parts" grafted on to the dragonship; which are large enough to allow for a lock-on... implying that a "free" dragon, without such parts, would be immune to a tractor lock-on.)
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Not sure. The only time this could really matter was if it was asteroid damage, I suppose. Needs a Mike West opinion I think.

2. No, just like normal damage to a ship, keep rolling till it's all allocated.

3. Pretty sure dragons cannot be tractored. The negative tractor question doesn't matter, because they can't be tractored. Living monsters generally can't be tractored, as Gary notes, unless the rules require you to tractor them. For example, tractoring a Space Amoeba because the result on the chart says you have to do that to kill it.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I will have to check to see if there any hints. I don't think that was ever asked before.

2. Keep rollin'.

3. No tractors. This is actually covered in (5D3c), at least in RRB6.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input!

In our game we did item #2 correctly and item #3 incorrectly.
This clears it up.

For item #1 I figured that the speed reduction would not take effect until the next turn speed declaration phase, which would be consistent with how ship damage affects speed.

Ironically, the Space Dragon player was of the opinion that speed reductions take effect immediately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: