Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingons vs. Tholians

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Klingons vs. Tholians Reply with quote

Have never played Tholians in FC before and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to how to approach them when playing Klingons.

The one thing I do know is to not launch mass drones as Tholians can take out a stack all at once with a Web Fist (?)

I am a member of the current online league. I am running a C7, D7 and a D5, and my oppenent a DN, CC-DISR and CW DISR.

Best Regards,

J69
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method for taking out a stack of drones all at one pop is the 'Web Snare', and it can be found in rule (5M3).
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the web snare only works if the ship has web generators, not web casters. Important thing to remember Smile

Web casters throw a free-standing line of web. That can slow down a stack of drones for a few impulses, and the Tholians can use the time to shoot down the drones while they are stuck, but it won't make them go away.

Web fists are a direct-fire function of the Web Caster, and they're like long-range disruptors.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
And the web snare only works if the ship has web generators, not web casters. Important thing to remember Smile

Considering that the Tholians he listed were a DN, CC, and CW, I think the force is web caster free ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the games where I've played Klingons against Tholians were squadron games. My opponent did not always have the same squadron, but he always had a dreadnought. A Tholian dread can be a tough customer. You can't really fight it from long range very well.

I tended to get very close. Range 3 gives you a good chance to hit with overloaded disruptors, and keeps you out of the best range for his many phaser 3's. (These don't bear to the front though, if you want to get closer. You certainly need to be in transporter range, as Tholians don't have a lot of transporters or marines. You'll want to transporter raid. In fact, they have so few marines that in some cases, you might actually be able to capture a ship, though this is hard o arrange, and requires considerable luck.

I tend to buy acceleration on turn 1 in order to close the distance as quickly as possible. This is especially necessary if they have a web fist available, as these can can really reach out and touch someone.

Directed damage power can really hurt the Tholians, who tend to be somewhat underpowered.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to write this tactics stuff up and submit it as command notes for captain's Log.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: