Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boarding actions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Boarding actions Reply with quote

I recently discovered the rule that allows boarding actions aboard disengaged vessels to continue (Thank you for my opponent for pointing that rule out Evil or Very Mad ).

Just out of interest - are boarding actions genrally meant to be resolved fully at the end of a turn limited game if they are still ongoing, and victory calculated afterwards. Or do boarding actions just end in failure at game end?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since everything pretty much ends instantly when the time limit expires, I have to say that boarding actions that have not been fully resolved are cut short, too.

It is not so much a special exception for the continuing boarding action, but rather just a full application of hard time limits in some scenarios.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJW, I think the question Lee is asking is... If I disengage by seperation what happens to the Boarding Action. If my Marines out number his I believe we can say its over I disengaged, but, what if his Marines out number mine? Does my ship still disengage or dose keep fighting to see if can capture my disengaged ship?

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify: I had always assumed that end of game was end of boarding actions. I had also assumed that a ship that left play via disengagement was out of play and just like end of game effectively killed off the boarding attempt.

I can't remember which rule number, but there is a rule my regular opponent found (whilst boarding one of my disengaging ships with overwhelming numbers) that says disengaged ships continue to resolve the boarding action as normal, or words to that affect. I think the rule is in the disgengagment section. The fact that the rule is there implies that the boarding attempt doesn't stop disengagment.

That made me rethink the end of game scenario, do ongoing boarding actions get resolved. I didn't think they would to be honest, but just wanted to check. Dumping 20 marines on a ship as the last action of the last turn would have been a low down dirty tactic in that case, perfect klingon/orion style stuff Smile

I also wanted to check that whilst you continue to resolve boarding on disengaged ships, you only continue to resolve until game end, so if the game ends and the ship has still not been captured then that is how the game ends, the original owner still controls his ship even if he was hiding behind the blast door of the emergency bridge at that point.

As a follow up question. At the point I'm being boarded then unless I am facing Andros, I am going to be in a position to transport back the other way. Can I Emergency Evac to an enemy ship, given it must have down shields so can't stop it. Presumably it would have to be my transporter that gets used if I could, but that could also be a nice get out of an otherwise foregone conclusion (emergency evac and self destruct).
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:

Dumping 20 marines on a ship as the last action of the last turn would have been a low down dirty tactic in that case, perfect klingon/orion style stuff Smile

What storeylf means to say here, that this is a very cunning tactic!
Shocked
I think emergancy evac to enemy ship and self distruct is wrong.

For 2 reasons

1. It wouldn't happen. i.e I don't think your crew really would be up for this. Medics Science officers. engineers and bean counters! Would they really want to fight armed with clip boards, plastic beekers, oily rags etc
2. It couldn't happen.
i.e you are evac all your crew, thats lots of "people" is done by transporters or shuttles as well?

well that my ten pence worth or 2bits!
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emergency evac is a pure transporter op. I don't think it should be allowed unless the receiving ship agrees, but could do with a clarification on that, as it the rule is silent on that aspect. Only 1 ship has to pay for a transporter, but as long as that is the sending ship it then reads as though the other ship just recieves them without to much say in the matter.

There is no question of fighting - this would be evac to POW status if allowed. Though it might not go down well as the recieving marines who just boarded the sending ship moments before the me-to evac all died in a self destruct fireball.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For marine combat after disengagement, (2E2) is the rule in question.

Yes, if you disengage your ship with enemy marine units still on board, the marine combat continues until one side wins. So, you do need to keep this in mind before you disengage. This is a two-edged sword, however. If you disengage with loads of enemy marine units, you won't be able to have other ships send marine units over to support yours. On the other hand, by disengaging with that many marine units means that the enemy does not get them back in the scenario. They may capture the disengaged ship, but they won't be able to assist with any other boarding action.

The caveat to this is that if the scenario has a time limit, then the time limit should still be in effect. The scenario ends when the scenario ends, even if that marine combat is not finish, or that stack of drones hasn't made it to their target.

For emergency evacuation, an enemy ship is under no obligation to accept the evacuating crew. It doesn't need to do so. If it does, you can safely assume that the evacuating crew is surrendering as part of the evacuation, including the marine units. (Otherwise the accepting ship would be stupid to accept the crew.)

Now, if you are evacuating to a friendly ship (that may also have enemy marine units on board) the boarding parties are fully active and available for use.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this does not cause anyones brain to explode! How do you resolve a boarding, if say the fed ship is boarded by 4 marines klingon and has 4 marines but then is board by 4 orion marines.

i.e the ship has 4marines and 4 enemy marines

then is board by 4 which are at war with each Shocked

This hasn't happen yet but sure will sooner or later.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry that's covered in the rule book Jack. I'll show you next time we meet.
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. As having thought about it my brain started to hurt Rolling Eyes , then thought 4 or even 5 way actions. (brain stared to over heat, smoke coming out of my ears. Quite simlar to they way Targ looks when I say I'll go speed 8! Laughing Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: