Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3rd FCOL Tournament:Information, Announcements and Deadlines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I made this force looking at the DDL official card. I'll just disable the drone rack before the battle begins.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to oversubscription, the Orions printed point value multiplier has been raised from 1.00 to 1.05.

I am sticking with the Orions.

The_Rock is moving to the Romulans.

Archer is moving to the Tholians.

I have not yet heard from Patrick in regard to what he will do regarding his empire choice (may be a little while as he is at Origins).

------------------

Signups to date (4/25/2011 PM):

Mojo_billbo (Federation)
Pinecone (Federation)
gar1138 (Klingon)
ericphillips (Klingon)
Jiraiya1969 (Klingon)
archer (Tholian)
JimDauphinais (Orion Pirate)
Patrick Doyle (TBD)
Krellex (Romulan)
The_Rock (Romulan)
Brazouck (Gorns)
orgyockbo (Hydran)
VulcanDropout (Hydran)

I will accept late signups through Monday the 27th. However, late signups will not cause the point value multipliers for players that signed up on time to rise. If such late signups cause oversubscription, only the folks that signup late will be subject to the higher point value multipliers.

Ship selections are due by no later than Tuesday, June 28th.

I have already received ship selections from the following:

Mojo_billbo (Federation)
Pinecone (Federation)
gar1138 (Klingon)
ericphillips (Klingon)
Jiraiya1969 (Klingon)
archer (Tholian)
Krellex (Romulan)
Brazouck (Gorns)
orgyockbo (Hydran)

If you have already sent me your ships and are not listed above, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

Jim

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Romulans will take their rightful place.... Reply with quote

Muahaha! My brother The_Rock and I shall rule the universe! Mostly due to the efforts of Paul and not myself. Very Happy
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am abandoning you. I had a specific Romulan force in which I was interested, but it included the Vulture. Although the Vulture is available in the e23 Romulan fleet pack (for which you pay just like any other booster pack), the powers the be at Origins decided that e23 products were not the equivalent of the laminated cards, so they are not allowed in tournament play.

I'll have a new race and fleet picked by Monday.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boo hissss.

I vote to change the rule and allow the Rock to play the Vulture.

Here is my thinking:

1. The card is official, just not printed. E23 cards are not the same as those in communique or captain's logs that are considered playtest. They are final.

2. The card uses no new rules. I agree on the Axions and so on, because their rules are not in the reference rulebook. But this is not the case here.

3. He wants to play it. We want people to play because they want to have fun, and this ship fits all the other rules except it is not dead wood.

4. Fun for me! I was happy to see two Rom players. I don't think we get enough plasma, and part of dropping their cost was to encourage them to play. Now we are chasing someone away from plasma?

This is a case where the reality of the rules should give way to the spirit of the rules.

Over and out!
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, though I agree with your position on e23, I don't think Jim should make ad hoc changes to the tournament rules choices made by ADB. The only change I know that he has made is the addition of the empire multipliers (and he allows the LDR, which is not permitted at Origins). That serves a valuable function of gathering data. I don't think additional exceptions should be made to the rules once set.

I'd like ADB to reconsider, since people pay money for the e23 ships packs and I don't see why those cards should be somehow less official than those cards sold as laminated boosters (as opposed to the cards available in CL or Communique - where the Vulture originally appeared - which might take the form of play-test). But presumably by the time they have made it to a booster - e23 or laminated - the ships should be official and available in the tournament.

I see that as a choice for ADB, however, not for Jim and Garrett.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I am more about being inclusive to things.

If I were to guess, I think the not non-allowance of non-laminated card is about spotting counterfeits.
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the e23 cards (aside from the stuff not in the RRB) should be allowed, with the three month wait that other products have before they can be used in FCOL. Just my opinion. I think the Vulture would be a lot of fun to fly.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Rock wrote:
The only change I know that he has made is the addition of the empire multipliers (and he allows the LDR, which is not permitted at Origins). That serves a valuable function of gathering data.

Interesting - the LDR aren't banned in the published rules, is this a rule you only find out about when you turn up at Origins, after you've taken time off work and paid for hotels etc.

As to other differences.

Allowing Frax (which are e23 only).

And the game length (10 turns rather than 4 hours).

Allowing Aegis.

Not allowing anything not in FCOL.

I'd be for e23 cards that don't require special rules, not that I'm entering this time.
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frax - OK, well I guess if you are allowing Frax I don't see why the rest of e23 should not be allowed.

Aegis - No idea why this is in and other rules, such as special sensors, for example, are not. IMO, this should not be in the tournament rule set.

That said, since no one took either, I'd just modify the rules now to make them not allowed until ADB changed its official rules.

The turn limit and the not in FCOL are not rule changes, they are just accommodations for the interface.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Rock wrote:
Aegis - No idea why this is in and other rules, such as special sensors, for example, are not. IMO, this should not be in the tournament rule set.

AEGIS is in because almost all races have them, while sensors are only available on FEDs (and, according to RRB, bases).
VulcanDropout
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Hydran too Reply with quote

Found a hydran ship with special sensors in the library. Even so, not all have it.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fine with e23 cards next time around (in fact, I am very supportive of it). If this had been raised earlier, I would have been open to the change for the 3rd tournament. I am not comfortable with changing this now for the 3rd tournament with nearly all the ship selections complete.

FRAX have been allowed on an e23 basis because they will likely never be placed on laminated cards. However, we have not allowed subs or Axion Torpedoes (by poll and in considiration that those rules are not in the reference rulebook).

Special Sensors and AEGIS are no longer Borders of Madness with the introduction of the 6th edition rules.

However, Special Sensors are not in because too few empires have laminated ship cards that have them (at this time only the Feds have a laminated ship card with Special Sensors).

This is not the case with AEGIS thanks to Booster #92. Thus, AEGIS is in this time.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/

Last edited by JimDauphinais on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to oversubscription, the Orions printed point value multiplier has been raised from 1.00 to 1.05.

I am sticking with the Orions.

Archer and The_Rock have moved to the Tholians.

I have not yet heard from Patrick Doyle (the 4th player who had selected the Orions) in regard to what he will do regarding his empire choice (may be a little while as he is at Origins).

------------------

Signups to date (4/26/2011 PM):

Chandler Archibald (Federation)
Mojo_billbo (Federation)
Pinecone (Federation)
gar1138 (Klingon)
ericphillips (Klingon)
Jiraiya1969 (Klingon)
archer (Tholian)
The_Rock (Tholian)
JimDauphinais (Orion Pirate)
Patrick Doyle (TBD)
Krellex (Romulan)
Brazouck (Gorns)
orgyockbo (Hydran)
VulcanDropout (Hydran)

So, we are now up to an even 14 players.

I will accept late signups through Monday the 27th (tomorrow). However, late signups will not cause the point value multipliers for players that signed up on time to rise. If such late signups cause oversubscription, only the folks that signup late will be subject to the higher point value multipliers.

Ship selections are due by no later than Tuesday, June 28th.

I am still working with VulcanDropout on his final ship selection.

I still need to hear from Chandler Archibald and Patrick Doyle regarding their ship selections.

Thanks,

Jim

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how the ship selections are shaping up so far:

Code:
    Empire          FC Forum Handle              Ship #1                     Ship #2                 Ship #3           Ship #4           Stingers       Points Spent
    ------          ---------------              -------                     -------                 -------            ------           --------       ------------
       ?             Patrick Doyle                  ?                           ?                       ?                  ?                  ?                ?
  Federation       Chandler Archibald               ?                           ?                       ?                  ?                  ?                ?
  Federation          Mojo_Billbo                  NCC                         NCL                     NCL          ---------------      ----------         447.30
  Federation            pinecone               BCF(Plasma)                     NCL                     DDL          ---------------      ----------         446.25
     Gorn               Brazouck                   BCF                         CC                      CL           ---------------      ----------         436.80
    Hydran             orgyockbo                   PAL                         DWH                     DWH          ---------------           7             450.00
    Hydran           VulcanDropout                  ?                           ?                       ?                  ?                  ?                ?
    Klingon           ericphillips                 C10                         F5W                     F5           ---------------      ----------         449.28
    Klingon             gar1138                    C7                          D5W                     D5           ---------------      ----------         439.68
    Klingon           Jiraiya1969                  C7                          D7                      D5           ---------------      ----------         430.08
     Orion           JimDauphinais      BR(Ph-G,PHT,PHT,Ph-1,Ph-1)  DR(PHT,PHT,Ph-G,Ph-1,Ph-1)  CR(Ph-G,PHT,PHT)   CR(Ph-G,PHT,PHT)      ----------         444.15
    Romulan             krellex                    NHK                         RHK                     SK            ------------        ----------         447.12
    Tholian              Archer                    DN                          NCA                     PC                 PC             ----------         442.56
    Tholian             The_Rock                   NHD                         DD                      PC                 PC             ----------         437.76

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: