Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter 2012 FC Online Tournament Preference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you are interested in playing in this tournament, which format would you prefer?
Standard Format -- The same format which has been used for the first three FC Online Tournaments.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Lite Standard Format -- The same format that was used for the first three tournaments, but with 200-300 point squadrons (exact number to be determined) rather than 450 point squadrons.
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Reverse Standard (aka Storey) Format -- The same format which was used for the first three tournaments, except you pick the empire and squadron against which you will fight in all of your matches rather than the empire and squadron you will use.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Light Storey Format -- The same as Reverse Standard Format, but with 200-300 point sqaudrons rather than 450 point squadrons.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please specify with a post).
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Winter 2012 FC Online Tournament Preference Reply with quote

The purpose of this poll is to explore preferences for the Winter 2012 Tournament which will begin on January 1, 2012.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I would prefer it without all the added artificial cruft tacked on about point value modifications. I say let's roll with them as printed.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the comment, but based on our experience to date, that is a non-starter.

We did so in the 1st Tournament and it created significant problems (e.g., the third round of the 1st Tournament was going to require the four undefeated Kzinti players to play each other -- it was one of the main causes of the failure of the 1st Tournament to be completed). The point value modifier system has sucessfully corrected those problems and created interesting matchups between different empires in each round.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree to disagree.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me but I don't understand how a reverse standard format will work.
Are you going to require your opponent to use a fleet that they may be unfamiliar with. this also seems like there would be incentive to choose the worst fleet you can think of as an opponent.

Nicole
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the idea, instead of only ever seeing the same 'best' ships getting used it would see some of the more 'interesting' ships being used. In order to win the tourney you'd have to show you can command stuff that you yourself might not normally pick, possibly across a range of empires.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a better solution would be allow people to play what they want but outlaw the general war ships. You could also outlaw the ships that are played the most. Just go look at the previous tourneys ship and outlaw the ones that are used 3 or more times.

Nicole
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting seems to be closed.

I would have voted for same format, though I really like Lee's reverse format as well.

I wish to continue to explore the point shifting and think that with the tournament size a skill variation we have, that will take years to generate something interesting. For that reason I'd like to see this format maintained.

I also think we can have more than one tournament running at a time, as long as we have a good judge, like Jim, moving it along. The format, Swiss, really helps there as well as it is by far the best format for any tournament that you want to run on a schedule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: