Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About A Call to Arms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Bob: Joel could not remember how to upload an avatar, and sent it to someone else to see if they can upload it. When it is available, you'll have to go select it.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Bob: Email me and I'll email you the avatar. Nobody can figure out how to upload it to the gallery but everybody can figure out how to upload it for your own use.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, all i have accomplished is to screw up my own avatar. The system lets me pick one but then ignores the one I picked.
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to playtest of sorts for ACTA:SF, but I think I might be the only one in my area that seems to know what ACTA is. (Aside from the local gamestore owners). Although I have not gotten into Noble Armada.

My first thought would be to try to have independent shielding if not set in 6 sections, then at least 4 at the 45 degree intervals. That should be easy enough to determine with line of sight. Should be able to keep the burnthrough too. Once shields are down though, would hits be automatic or would you have to compare hull ratings like in ACTA? In the Starfleet universe it seems most ships are made equally hull wise.

I think the free movement will be nice too. Never tried it with FedCom though. I've had many a game were if you don't quite make a 45 degree turn your target can be in arch, but you aren't in his.

As for movement, although I liked the minimum move in ACTA, the warp field seems to give pretty precise control of a ship and being able to set speeds differently can be a big advantage.

Any thoughts on how energy will be used?

Thats all the random thoughts I have for now.
lincolnlog
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading this forum since the announcement, but this is my first post. This is exiting news! I play Mongoose: Victory at Sea, which is also based on the core ACTA rules (modified for WWII wet naval engagements).

I have been a Starfleet Battles player since the very early 80's. I had many of the original plastic Federation Ship Mini's (which I prefer over the metal).

Interestingly, the first version of SFB I pruchased in 1981 was not meant to be played on a hex grid and came with turn templates that had to be cut out and used on the open table top (can't remember but the miniature rules may have been a module). Anyone other than me remember this?

Then they came out with the large hex maps which negated the need for the templates.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shields will be one score as an all round bubble basically.

energy will be handled via special actions, so if you do something like full power to engines then you will be able to do less shooting or turning etc
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silent bob wrote:
shields will be one score as an all round bubble basically.

energy will be handled via special actions, so if you do something like full power to engines then you will be able to do less shooting or turning etc

Okay, I get the special actions. There should definately be a trade off. But for the shields, how are things like those nasty hellbores going to work?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would ships with both shields and armour (like the Fed Old CL) have both Shield and Armour* traits?

*The recently-uploaded preview pdf for the Vuldrok fleet in ACtA:NA includes rules for ship-mounted armour.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are looking into armour.
hellbores are not in the initial release but its something that will have to be looked at when introducing them. my thought in ACTA rules is to make them cause double damage against shields as a possibility but will look at it closer to the time and see what matt suggests as well.
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. If you ever need any outside testers I'd be glad to help. Definately when this is released I'll have to re-join the Mongoose Infantry and promote the heck out of this game at my game store!
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry on!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silent bob wrote:
hellbores are not in the initial release but its something that will have to be looked at when introducing them. my thought in ACTA rules is to make them cause double damage against shields as a possibility but will look at it closer to the time and see what matt suggests as well.

For hellbores, simply take the full damage and apply it to the mono-shield. Hellbores do very nice damage totals, and this is the logical simplification. (Heck, that is how it is handled in SFB/FC if the target has a mono-shield or no shields.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just thinking of things to make them different instead of just being another weapon that hits shields.

and talking of testing, anyone on here live in elgin, scotland or nearby? as I am moving up there soon so need a new gaming group and therefore testing group.
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More thoughts on ACTA: SF:
Has the initiative been worked out? Providing an initiative system will be used. I would think Klingons would have the highest base initiative points, followed by the Feds, then the Romulans. But I wonder if the Romulans could then gain an additional bonus if they have cloaked ships on the board each round?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Romulans would be higher than the Feds. Yes, their Eagle-class ships are barges, but the Kestrels and Hawks are as maneuverable as the Klingons. (The Kestrels are converted Klingon ships, as seen in the episode The Enterprise Incident.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: