Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I play without minis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Can I play without minis? Reply with quote

I am interested in ACTA:SF. I was wondering if you can play with just the core rule book? Do I need the minis? Can I use the tokens from Fed Com. The reason I ask is my wallet size.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I play without minis? Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I am interested in ACTA:SF. I was wondering if you can play with just the core rule book? Do I need the minis? Can I use the tokens from Fed Com. The reason I ask is my wallet size.

Eric:
Several of the play test games we ran were ran using just the counters from Fed Comm.
Sure, the minis are much more impressive (and the game is designed that way), but it is possible to play with counters.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I am going to pick up the rule book and look to get some of the new minis over the next few months.
Marauder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minis also require a much larger playing area. I for one have already ordered a fleet box and will play only with minis, but I certainly see the economic and logistical reasons for sticking with counters.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that playing with tokens would need a scale reduction. What is the basic move, in inches, in ACTA?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I would think that playing with tokens would need a scale reduction. What is the basic move, in inches, in ACTA?

Not really.
Movement is measured from the stand peg of the mini, so just measure from the center of the counter...
Range to target is measured stand peg to stand peg, so again... just measure from center of counter to center of counter.

Basic movemet: Most ships have a max movement of 12 inches.
Typical playing surface is 4 feet by 4 feet.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so the scale will reduce automatically! cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: