Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PRIME DIRECTIVE: TRAVELLER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We continue to work on it. Smile
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike West was on Paul Franz' TalkShoe show last week and gave some great insights into how Traveller is being adapted to the SFU.

Scaling Traveller to the SFU (and vice versa) seems to be particularly at issue. Mike talked at length about how SFU vessels were being translated into Traveller tonnage terms, but for me the most exciting aspect of this were his assessments of just how big the SFU is in Traveller terms and what that means for RPG adventuring....

It turns out the Alpha Octant is still a REALLY big space with a LOT of unexplored places -- characteristics I've traditionally tended to associate much more with Star Wars RPGs than the SFU.

By comparing the scales and relative sizes of the Traveller universe with the SFU, Mike argues that even in much of Federation space, there are likely hundreds of unexplored planets -- enough mystery to run a long RPG campaigns without leaving a single F&E hex.

Similarly, he proposed the possibility of SFU adventuring parties as being the crew of a smaller gunboat or trader -- rather than just being members of a huge crew on the iconic capital ships.

I really like both these concepts, and taken together I felt like the SFU had suddenly become a much more exciting place for RPG adventures. The idea of unknowns to be explored WITHIN the Alpha Octant has always seemed downplayed to me, and previous PD editions seemed to focus on putting PCs into Trek-style officers' seats. While I love that high-end military sci-fi, it sounds to me like the Traveller edition may also offer the opportunity for the grunts on patrol to find a little glory in the backwaters of "local" space.

I hope I'm right.
Sgt_G
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
argues that even in much of Federation space, there are likely hundreds of unexplored planets

One could say "hundreds of thousands" if not even "tens of millions".

I've posted before showing the math proving that it's reasonable to assume there are about one million stellar bodies per F&E hex.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millions of unexplored planets, of which tens of thousands are actually worth a look or a landing.

Remember that the entire Traveller universe is about 1.24 F&E hexes.
Nerroth
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One comparison I find interesting is the region of space the five pre-ISC planets found themselves in during the era of the Resource World Wars. With the short-ranged and unreliable non-tactical warp drives used between -Y175 and Y10, the five factions found themselves repeatedly squabbling over the viable colonies within their overlapping areas of influence. (With the Q'naabians somewhat aloof due to distance and biology).

A volume of space which, in one universe, teems with life is, in another, not quite enough room for five warp-capable species who aren't in a hurry to share their spoils just yet.

Of course, the five ISC species are BFFs with one another by the time of the modern era supported in the PD core rulebooks. But I'm hoping that, one day, we could see the Resource World era explored in further detail in a faction sourcebook for the Inter-Stellar Concordium.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: