Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am sold on FC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinshi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: I am sold on FC Reply with quote

I am long time SFB player, started with SFB Volume 1 and had everything SFB since then...

Anyway..after sitting down at long last, and reading over the rule in FC 1st Missions, I am like "Why o why did you guys not do this 20 years ago??" I mean really..SFB became less of a game and more of a simulator administered by lawyers. (it was a rare thing to make it past turn 2 w/o at least 5 rules lookups and at least one dispute over interpretation, and we wont speak of addenda..ok we will Nexus #6..gah..its ALL addenda.. Very Happy

I say this as I glance at my binders of Commander and Captains edition rules, the size of NYC phone books, which have become a object of loathing to me (and as one who never cared for the Commander's SSD format (I did not like having the page cluttered up with tables that can already be found in the Master Weapons Chart., and I was really happy with having 2 SSDs per page like in the original SFB Vol I set)

However I am even happier with FC SSDs, especially the squadron scale as SFB made operating more than 1 ship a logistical headache of paper shuffling. (I do not know how people ever could stand to do Assault on a Starbase with such limitations). The fact I can run small fleets pretty easy is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, you sold this ol SFB'er...FC is gold imho, enough to make me retire the old SFB materials for good.

I especially like the "power track" concept, reminds me a lot of the old FASA STSCS which I felt worked quite well, and yea these new SSDS are quite the eye candy.

Might actually have a shot at getting my kids to play FC where as they laugh at me when they see my SFB stuff.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinshi, welcome aboard!

Sounds like we got started at the same time waaay back when. I have all the old Commander's Edition stuff. I even went so far (back when a teenager had tons and tons of spare time on his hands) as to make my own custom set of consolidated addenda by cutting and pasting (scissors and paste; long before I had a computer) all the addenda together in order. Heheheheh, craziness.

Looking forward to hearing all about your coming battles,

Garrett
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another welcome, Kinshi! You will find several FC players have the same type of story as you have (I know mine is very similar). The only reason I am remotely interested in SFB anymore is because of all the history that goes with it.

I'm very happy with FC. Just got the v.6 Reference rulebook.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
kirbykibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Kinshi!
you'll soon to have more fun then ever and whatnot Very Happy

Tip: buy the War and Peace Expansion pack, its awesome.

Edit: Yeah, even though i haven't played SFB (shame on me) i do have an uncle who has. He said that it was very complex and i do think that the FC will be significantly better.

Last edited by kirbykibble on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Kinshi Smile Yeah, this is a good clean system and is so much fun to play. Sure, we have rules lookups but not as often as in SFB by any means.

I endorse the recommendation of War & Peace. Probably the best in a series of awesome addons for the game. Orion Attack is especially awesome, too, btw....
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly agree with Kinshi that FC is a great improvement on SFB. I will also add that FC continues to improve. I started my FC collection about the time the latest edition rules came out, and the rules changes over the edition I had been playing were a definite improvement, especially as regards to plasma. Now that plasma torpedoes can be live on turn one, plasma races can be much more aggressive. The last couple of games I played, I was taking a Klingon squadron up against the Gorns. These days, the lizards really do come out swinging, and it makes for a more exciting game.

Anyone who does not have the sixth edition reference rulebook is strongly urged to get it.
kinshi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FC appears to be perfect for the types of game me and my primary opponent like to play, and yes, we have spent a LOT of time cutting and pasting rules to make our own 'scaled down' version of SFB (basically we used the tournament rules and only the tournament rules, but we did use a lot of the non-tournament ships with them, and that worked out well).

It boiled down to not using all of SFB Vol III and most of SFB Vol II and not using Supplement #1 or 2.

less can be more Very Happy

At some point in the near future, I will prolly also sign up for FC Online and see how that works too.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the game! We'd be happy to have you on FCOL, we're always looking for new players Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: