Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Race ships and points

View previous topic :: View next topic  
computerarif
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Race ships and points Reply with quote

What are some good ships by race? Also we want to start using points in our games. I was thinking 350 for squadron scale and 250 fleet. Thoughts?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a gross generalisation the ships that are 'New' something (NCA, NCL etc) are better than ships that are not, but they are not always the most interesting to play IMO. Older ships with less power or inferior weapons can make for more interesting games.
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Race ships and points Reply with quote

computerarif wrote:
What are some good ships by race? Also we want to start using points in our games. I was thinking 350 for squadron scale and 250 fleet. Thoughts?

A great way to play some multi-ship battles without making the fights last too long (while you get the hang of things) is to put 3 frigates/destroyers on each side.

250 points. Must take 3 ships.
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite size ship to play is about 140-160, give or take at squadron scale. If I'm fitting out a squadron, I'll shoot for three ships of about 150 pts. having one big ship and two little ones means that the big ship draws a lot of fire, and if it's crippled your squadron may be in serious trouble. Here are a few of my favorite ships

Romulan - King Eagle. It won't survive against a heavy drone user, due to it's poor phaser suite, but Romulans don't fare well against heavy drone users anyway. (Actually, Romulans don't really fare well against much of anybody, but that's neither here nor there.) Excellent sheilds, an R torp, and a couple of Fs for good measure. And unlike the anemic War Eagle, it's fast, and can be handled very aggressively.

Klingons - The D7, believe it or not. Some things are classic, and some things are just old. The sheilds aren't as good as a D5W, and it hasn't got the expanded disruptor arcs. On the other hand, it has more system boxes and will hold up better once the sheilds are penetrated, and has more phaser 2's, which comes in handy when the other side starts getting phaser hits. They have more transporters as well. D5W's have good sheilds, but after they go down, the ship is basically made out of tinfoil.

Feds - The New Heavy Cruiser is a fine ship, as is the Fed battlecruiser. The BC means you have one big ship that will draw fire, but it can take a lot. It's a great ship. As for the NCA, it has more power available than the old heavy cruiser, and handles quite a bit better as a result.

Kzinti - The old Kzinti battlecruiser is a classic. Two of these and an old command cruiser make a fine squadron.

Orions - I use more pirate raiders and battle raiders tha anything else.

Last edited by Klingon of Gor on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kirbykibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Strategies. Reply with quote

Here are some thoughts, if you want to try to get a good squadron, (ill go for 350 points) i suggest that you don't go for the Battle ship right away. In most occasions, the BB will waste too many points and there will be too many leftover points. To go for the exact number of points, i suggest that you have one heavy ship, say, for example, an NCL and then have multiple "gunships" consisting of Frigates and Destroyers.
DaveP.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue with what KofG (Tal!) was saying:

Gorns: I prefer the Medium Cruiser over the old Battlecruiser; for only one point more you get a little more power and a better set of Pl-S arcs. The HDD is a great light cruiser, but if you really want to mess with your opponent's mind you can try a Strike Cruiser. The Gorn BCH, with three S-torps and a pair of F's, is a real monster.

Hydrans: I really like the vanilla Hydran DN. It's on the small size for a Dread, but packs a more-than-decent punch... and, without fighters, costs less than some races' BCH's.

Feds: The Federaton Bismarck-class battlecruiser has the biggest toolbox in deep space: you've got crunch, drones (and ADD capability, depending on your needs), an Arcwelder of Deep Space-class phaser battery... and two plasma-F torps.
The F-torps hold for nothing, can be carronaded for some extra never-miss muscle at close range, and- best of all- you can take them as your first two torp hits (thus preserving your photons) and still launch them from the destroyed tubes.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
As a gross generalisation the ships that are 'New' something (NCA, NCL etc) are better than ships that are not, but they are not always the most interesting to play IMO. Older ships with less power or inferior weapons can make for more interesting games.

What you need is middle years! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: