Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evasive Manueuvers and Emergency Deceleration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Evasive Manueuvers and Emergency Deceleration Reply with quote

Just want to verify this is legal (I believe it is).

I declare Evasive Maneuvers on the Defensive Fire Phase of Impulse 3. It has to remain in effect for a minimum of 2 impulses, so the soonest I could cancel it would be the Speed Change Phase of Impulse 6 (there is an example of this in the rulebook).

However, I *could* declare Emergency Deceleration (which also cancels Evasive Maneuvers) during the Speed Change Phase of any subsequent impulse (say, Impulse 4 or 5) before the 2 impulse minimum has elapsed, right?

In the above example, the only restrictions on me would be that I wouldn't be moving until the next turn (but I could make one Tactical Maneuver to change facing and even potentially have extra energy for shield reinforcement), correct?

Thanks,

Garrett
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Plus because every ship in Fed Com has a positron Flywheel, you are under no further movement restrictions after the turn.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I was thinking along the lines of forcing an opponent to fire at a given range by declaring EM. If they fire, then great (I can choose to return fire or not). I can Emer Decel and hopefully have them come in a few hexes more for a slightly closer shot at them. If they don't fire, then I will be protected by EM and get closer until I can drop it when needed.

Obviously, this has to be carefully thought out (opponent's turn mode not fulfilled, etc), but seems workable in certain situations (slightly more risky against seeking weapon empires if early in the turn; if late in the turn, it shouldn't be an issue).

Clearly this tactic would need to be carefully set up, but not really much of a disadvantage if done well (all depending on the situation of course). Especially since while I'm stopped I can still make a TAC or even a HET to keep them in arc, have left-over energy for shield reinforcement, and then go super-fast the next turn.

Specifically, I was thinking about my last game. I was Klingons against Feds and I used EM to force the Feds to fire at a longer range, but I didn't think about using Emer Decel to be able to fire back sooner (I ended up waiting through the 2 Impulse minimum where I missed a good firing opportunity).

Garrett

Last edited by gar1138 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit I find odd is that ED kills off EM, but a ship that has ED'd can start EM.

If you can EM whilst stopped then why does ED kill EM?
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I find it odd that you can go from 0 to 24 base speed over a turn break. Oh well, rules are rules. I am sure you wouldn't want to clutter up the rule book by adding a rule that ED does not stop EM.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Rock wrote:
And I find it odd that you can go from 0 to 24 base speed over a turn break. Oh well, rules are rules. I am sure you wouldn't want to clutter up the rule book by adding a rule that ED does not stop EM.

Or from *Stopped* to 24 instantly.......
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Rock wrote:

You wouldn't add a rule, you'd remove the existing rule. I think it would be great to get rid if that rule - it would DE-clutter the rule book and remove the oddity of stopping killing EM even though you can be EM when stopped. Wink
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
The bit I find odd is that ED kills off EM, but a ship that has ED'd can start EM.

If you can EM whilst stopped then why does ED kill EM?

Not weird. The effects of emergency deceleration disrupt the motions of EM, causing it to fail. I imagine it is similar to driving a car at 60 miles per hour and slamming on the breaks to stop... for a moment all of your activity is on stopping and just trying to keep the vehicle under control.

No problem here, as you have to repay the energy to start it again. You are being charged twice for the energy.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can go with that explanation.

Until I checked the other night I woud have said you can't EM whilst stopped. I was quite surpised to find a stopped ship could manouver evasively. Now I just need to think of a way to annoy someone with that fact. Smile
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could see the affect of EM while stopped:
instead of +2 against the weapon, have it fire against a random shield ---
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that you can only declare EM once per turn. So if you declared EM, then Emer Deceled to cancel it, you couldn't declare it (and/or pay energy for it) again until the next turn.

Garrett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: