Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For The Glory of the Empire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: For The Glory of the Empire Reply with quote

I just got two copies of "For The Glory of the Empire", one for me, and one as a gift for someone else. This stuff is gold! Excellent reading to be sure!

In the back of the book, it advertises an upcoming release of "Day of the Eagle". Are there any plans to release this book? I would sure like to get a copy if so!
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we plan to release that book, but not this month. Right now, it's on hold waiting for us to work out a plan to produce a series of books with Mongoose, as their better distribution would actually sell enough copies to make doing them worth the trouble.
rexbinary
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed For the Glory of the Empire as well. I hope there is more to come.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Yes, we plan to release that book, but not this month. Right now, it's on hold waiting for us to work out a plan to produce a series of books with Mongoose, as their better distribution would actually sell enough copies to make doing them worth the trouble.

I'm glad to hear that it WILL come out. but at the same time, I will not put any pressure on you for any deadline. In my opinion the main focus of ADB would be Starfleet Marines Assault, being as how this WILL be a successful product.

Note to other noobs like me, "For the Glory of the Empire" is not only most excellent literature, but it has included with it Federation Commander scenario's with it that you can try out as you read this excellent book!!! It is worth WAY more than the simple 10 bucks ADB charges at their store to get a copy.

Last edited by leathernsteel on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leathernsteel we do NOT advocate for any online store unless it has a brick and mortar store attached. They hurt the "real stores" which is where we tend to gain new players.

That's also the reason that we do not discount our products in our own storefront online. We need the real stores to survive.

Jean (wearing her marketing hat)
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll edit post.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that make me a bad person for ordering things online? Sad Wink
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, Pinecone, you are fine for ordering stuff online. Some people don't have a local game store or the one nearby doesn't carry Federation Commander. If I lived where I grew up, I would have to travel 60-100 miles to a game store and that isn't reasonable. Since I now live elsewhere, but still have to travel 40 miles to a grocery store that has all the stuff I like, I might as well drop in at my "local" game store.

We just don't promote the online stores on our boards.

You can help get us more fans by seeing if friends would like to play. I learned RPGs in college (see what I missed by growing up n the wilderness?) so you already have a comparative headstart on when I began gaming.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
Oh, no, Pinecone, you are fine for ordering stuff online. Some people don't have a local game store or the one nearby doesn't carry Federation Commander.
The game store where I live IS an online store! it's the weirdest thing I have ever seen in my life! They have a special building with numerous tables set up where you can play games like Federation Commander but you must buy your stuff from them using the internet. They have a few PC's set up where they sell snacks where you must go to order products. Or order them from them on your home computer. it isn't like it was in the old days.

Jean wrote:
I learned RPGs in college (see what I missed by growing up n the wilderness?) so you already have a comparative headstart on when I began gaming.
I was playing Star fleet Battles when I was in middle school Very Happy
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel ancient. Shocked

The important thing is that I found ADB and their great games. I encourage anyone who finds a store such as leathernsteel describes to make sure to run demos there. The only way to find a game in that sort of store is to know about it already.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I was joking Wink

I am considering running Starmada demos to ease people into (eventually) Federation Commander. Or do you think it's better to just start with FC?
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two local game stores where I live, but one is primarily Warhammer-focused and the other is focused on D&D. I bought the GURPS Federation source book at the second one, but they didn't have any other ADB products except for a handful of miniatures. I've never seen any ADB products at the second one, but they have some 1st edition Prime Directive materials on a back shelf full of random old forgotten game modules, and I found an old TFG Federation & Empire box there a few years ago. I still haven't found anyone willing to learn it with me though.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan has been to start folks off with Federation Commander. I know nothing of Starmada. So far, my circle of friends has been so busy with work and band stuff that we haven't been able to really seriously have a good Federation Commander session. I did play one match with our drummer who enjoyed the game, so there is promise.

Here is another idea, I have noticed that people get into the book "For The Glory of the Empire, very quickly. It has a cool looking cover illustration, has many cool illustrations within, the story is AMAZING, and here's the kicker: It has Federation Commander scenarios included in it. After people read this book, they will naturally want to play those scenarios. That's where we come in, when they come wanting to try those out, we'll be ready with all our game gear, to rock 'n roll and show em the ropes of the game. Keep track of birthdays and Christmas and be ready to give copies of the book as gifts.

I have already given a copy of the book as a gift to a coworker, and he reports that his 10 year old son stole the book and hid it in his room! LMAO! Laughing But what he doesn't realize is that it is only a matter of time before his son starts bugging him to buy him a Klingon Border set. The more players the merrier, I say!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about trying to start with Starmada. That game system is totally different. I've just started with FC and kept out overloads, emer. decel., sideslips, and anything that might confuse at first. That plan has worked quite well.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting the ADB suggested path with First Missions, then adding in more and more rules from Klingon Border worked well for me and the others that I have taught to play the game.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: