Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generic FC / SFB Warships - In Anticipation of PD: Traveller
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
terryoc
Captain


Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 1378

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of "stock" civilian ships in the SFU that can do what you described, no real reason to allow ship design IMO.
_________________
"Captain" Terry O'Carroll, fourteen papers published including six best of issue
"Man, Terry, you are like a loophole seeking missle!" - Mike West
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 05 Aug 2011
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
There are plenty of "stock" civilian ships in the SFU that can do what you described, no real reason to allow ship design IMO.


The whole point of designing a ship like that instead of using a similar "stock" ship is the increased level of connection and sense of accomplishment you share with the ship and ultimately the game itself. It's like building a custom car from parts vs. walking into a dealership and buying one. It's not for everyone, but it makes a huge difference for those who are willing to put the time and effort into it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scoutdad
Commodore


Joined: 09 Oct 2006
Posts: 4467
Location: Middle Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or do what I do.

I've got several "stock" generic ship minis from... ehem... other companies. I simiply select the one I like, use that mini, and pull the equivalent ship card from my FC stock.

I've used the APT ship card for several different minis that look nothing like the APT, same with the small / large / jumbo / heavy freighter cards.
Any freither / transport mini can be used as a "stock" Fed Comm freighter. Just assume the ship card is a standardized representation of the various makes / models of privately manuafactured ships.
_________________


Scoutdad's minis photos here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Alex Knight
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 57
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Or do what I do.

I've got several "stock" generic ship minis from... ehem... other companies. I simiply select the one I like, use that mini, and pull the equivalent ship card from my FC stock.

I've used the APT ship card for several different minis that look nothing like the APT, same with the small / large / jumbo / heavy freighter cards.
Any freither / transport mini can be used as a "stock" Fed Comm freighter. Just assume the ship card is a standardized representation of the various makes / models of privately manuafactured ships.


Like a Glow-worm Class transport from GZG?
That is a pretty cool idea though, I like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1548
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that CL43 includes an SSD for a Barbarian battleship in SFB, perhaps there could be scope for a Frax-like Barbarian ePack somewhere down the line?

(So long as the rules covering the weapon, NWO and power options could be handled cleanly enough, perhaps.)
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnum357
Lieutenant SG


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 174

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Wow! its been a while. Reply with quote

In my opinion, I use to be in the crowd of customizing SFB ships with some sort of system, but after reading up on all the R modules for SFB, ADB has practically come up with every possible type of ship (at least for me) you would ever want in your games of SFB or FC.

I don't know anything about this "Travelers" system (sounds kinda interesting) but I have have heard many attempts to design a system to build custom ships. You either fall into the problem of building "pocket battleships" or your design the next generation of X ship.

Is there something wrong with the custom options of Pirate vessels? Yes, limited performance compared to empiral ships, but Pirate versus pirate battles can be just as interesting as empiral battles.

If you want total customization of ship design, maybe you should check into Starfire Design Studio or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3462
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Barbarians were somewhat down on my list of simulator empires to take a look at, but I suppose I could at least pitch them to Steve. (Though I have no idea why the presence or absence of a BB would influence this.)

But, to be honest, I am not sure that there is sufficient interest in the Simulator empires to worry about them too much. The Frax had interest as they predated C4, and were the prototype for simulator empires. I honestly don't know how much interest there really is for the others.
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dal Downing
Commander


Joined: 06 May 2008
Posts: 552
Location: Western Wisconsin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of investing time into another simulator race I would rather se rules for Heavy War Destroyers or a Modular System applied to APTs Skiffs and Free Traders.
_________________
-Dal

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 05 Aug 2011
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wow! its been a while. Reply with quote

Magnum357 wrote:
In my opinion, I use to be in the crowd of customizing SFB ships with some sort of system, but after reading up on all the R modules for SFB, ADB has practically come up with every possible type of ship (at least for me) you would ever want in your games of SFB or FC.

I don't know anything about this "Travelers" system (sounds kinda interesting) but I have have heard many attempts to design a system to build custom ships. You either fall into the problem of building "pocket battleships" or your design the next generation of X ship.

Is there something wrong with the custom options of Pirate vessels? Yes, limited performance compared to empiral ships, but Pirate versus pirate battles can be just as interesting as empiral battles.

If you want total customization of ship design, maybe you should check into Starfire Design Studio or something.


This may be the case for wargames, but keep in mind that Prime Directive is NOT A WARGAME. There is so much more to life on a starship than space battles, and that's what you get to do in RPGs like Traveller and Prime Directive, explore new worlds (need sensors, probes, labs, and transporters), host diplomats and transport criminals (crew/passenger quarters, rec deck, brig, and other "hull space" type areas) and pretty much anything else you can imagine.

If you're worried about roleplayers creating pocket battleships, you still have your head stuck in SFB or FC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1548
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Gary,

Barbarians were somewhat down on my list of simulator empires to take a look at, but I suppose I could at least pitch them to Steve. (Though I have no idea why the presence or absence of a BB would influence this.)

But, to be honest, I am not sure that there is sufficient interest in the Simulator empires to worry about them too much. The Frax had interest as they predated C4, and were the prototype for simulator empires. I honestly don't know how much interest there really is for the others.


I should clarify that I was only suggesting them as a way to allow any players out there looking for the closest thing there is to DIY warships (as opposed to civilian hulls) there is out there; I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry about them personally.
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
storeylf
Fleet Captain


Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 1836

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wow! its been a while. Reply with quote

Mr_Tricorder wrote:

This may be the case for wargames, but keep in mind that Prime Directive is NOT A WARGAME. There is so much more to life on a starship than space battles, and that's what you get to do in RPGs like Traveller and Prime Directive, explore new worlds (need sensors, probes, labs, and transporters), host diplomats and transport criminals (crew/passenger quarters, rec deck, brig, and other "hull space" type areas) and pretty much anything else you can imagine.

If you're worried about roleplayers creating pocket battleships, you still have your head stuck in SFB or FC.


I don't get to play RPGs nowadays, but this is so true. In an RPG the best ship is not necessarily the best armed. I remember when I played a Sci-Fi RPG back in my youth I wanted luxury 'yachts', and the latest in fashion and opulence on my ships (with a special emphasis on the trophy room). It was about travelling in style and showing the plebs, or groups we had to interact with that I was absolutely loaded. Space combat was dangerous, and I didn't want scratches on my Yachts.

The goals of a wargame and RPG are vastly different.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group