Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega sector Paravian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Omega sector Paravian Reply with quote

I could be blind, but looking at my Omega supplement, I don't seem to find anything about the Paravian (info or SSD) and I was wondering wherther they will come later or whether they have been covered in a Captain log or somewhere else.

For the Earlier Year Omega Paravian I could always used the SSD's from Early Years supplement, but for later on in the history (Middle and later years) I was wondering what would be the upgrades brought on those early ships, What would be the new type of ship they would fly...and any Paravian X-ship (for the omega sectors)??
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more information about what kind of empire the Paravians in the Omega Octant build up to in the timeline shown in the Omega Master Rulebook; also, Bruce Graw write about some of his early ideas for them in the CL36 article Omega's Lost Futures.

In terms of actual SSDs, there are none. Apparently, work on them was delayed once the Stellar Shadows Paravians were being done for Captain's Log #28 (so that the two branches of Paravian developments could be mapped out properly); but any material Bruce might have had was deleted in a computer crash he suffered several years' back.

(Hence the "lost" part of that article heading...)

While it would be neat to see the Omega-Paravians get developed (alongside the other "new" empires, such as the Echarri Dynasty) the impression seems to be that if/when we get another Omega module for SFB, that it would work to try and build up the empires we already have, rather than rush into showcasing new ones.

Given that, after five published modules, we still don't have even one properly campaign-compatible Omega Octant empire (in contrast with the LMC, where the three Magellanic Powers have enough ships and logistical units already in Module C5 to be viable) it's a valid viewpoint; the more well-rounded the current empires are, the easier it would be to work new empires in to match them.
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the info.

With CL36 and CL28 on top of my master rulebook (which I only flipped through) I could get some info which would be a nice place to start. From there I could play a bit with the Early year SSD, I guess to give me something.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two main issues to bear in mind comes down to the various technologies the Paravians are reported to adopt.

The first is a thing called the quantum wave mine, said to be an adaptation of the Nucian tactical mine... only we don't know what they are supposed to be either, since no rules or SSDs for the Nucian Clans have been published yet.

The second is the seam of antiproton technology the Paravians uncovered when they discovered the Ymatrian home world; but there's no clarifcation on what that looks like either. We don't know if the Paravians simply adopted Ymatrian weapons systems for their own use (the way the Worb did) or somehow converted it into something else entirely.

Indeed, while it's said the Paravians started using Ymatrian warriors as ground forces, what this means in actual game terms has yet to be clarified.

At least with the Ymatrian tech, there is some room to play around with; the Nucian stuff might require a little more imagineering.
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm full of imagination, so I should be ok Smile

But i can indeed see the difficulty and the challange at hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: