Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Fleet Battles Today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Star Fleet Battles Today Reply with quote

I picked up SFB Basic and Advanced sets, along with many other modules during the late 1990's, back when Task Force Games was involved. The stuff was good back then. But in the coarse of moving to different places, I lost all those set's that I had gotten. Recently (in the past two months) I have been re-buying those things from the ABD store and WOW, I've been straight up blown away with the improvements! In fact, I'm still in the process of retrieving my jaw from the floor! All the die cut counters are now real looking images instead of bland two color shapes. The rule books are greatly improved, with better illustrations included in them! I just can't get over it! Not only that, I placed a reasonably large order of things on Monday morning from the ADB store, and I had everything ordered in my grubby, little, hands on Wednesday! Mind you, I ordered two modules, Scenario book one, Advanced Missions, two copies of "For The Glory of The Empire", and two different starline 2400 mini's. ADB is a rock solid operation! I feel the need to fill out my SFB collection before moving onto getting the Fed Commander stuff. After all, I haven't even used all the stuff from Klingon Border that I already have.

Last edited by leathernsteel on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the high praise. Very Happy We hope you enjoy them.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not say it if I didn't mean it!
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be picky, but Paramount is rather insistant that the name of the game is Star Fleet Battles not Starfleet Battles.

To their way of thinking (something to do with branding) Starfleet is official Paramount stuff and Star Fleet is ADB's little pocket universe they try to ignore.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would explain some failed search engine searches looking for SFB info! LOL I guess the three words on the spine of the boxes never registered in my conscious mind.
Kelmey
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this post. I'm picking upt he basic set after nearly a 20 year break. I played in 91-93 before going to college.

Looking forward to seeing what has changed.
Burning Chrome
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the praise for ADB's customer service.

I've purchased quite a bit of stuff over the past 8 months...even had to coordinate a change post-order with Leanna.

Friendly service, NO issues, and timely arrival despite dropping my brain during ordering.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic set is greatly improved but advanced missions is about the same as it was in 97. Still good quality though and you can always use mini's or stuff from Federation Commander, the counters and maps for the two games are almost 100% interchangeable.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to see Fed Cdr style counters in SFB, but from what SVC has said iin the past, counters are expensive to produce, and ADB will have to work throuhg their stock before changing anything.

PDF SSD books would be great though!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy the FC counter as spare parts. And there's always the megahex module Smile
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
You could buy the FC counter as spare parts. And there's always the megahex module Smile
All that stuff works great with SFB!!!
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pinecone - got that thanks; my point was that the Basic Set countersheet has been re-done in a Fed Cdr stylee, and it would be great if the other products were redone like that too.

One day, perhaps...
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I know that.

2. I cannot do it over until we sell out of what's on hand. It would be financially impossible and irresponsible. Countersheets are the most expensive thing we do. The idea of replacing all SFB sheets with the new graphics in one swoop is going to be more than most of get paid in one year.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally understood.

However, a chap can dream....
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, it would cost about $1400 per sheet to replace existing inventories, and if anyone wants to sponsor that for his favorite sheet, I'll award you a commendation medal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: