Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's go shopping!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Let's go shopping! Reply with quote

I came into some spending money. It doesn't happen too often. I've got Ogre 6e and Traveller5 coming early next year... so I gotta be careful. Once the money's gone... there won't be anymore. So... I gotta think about this.

Option 1: Go to e23 and get Captain's Log 10, 12, 13, 15-20, and 23. Lotsa material... lotsa reading.... No fun reading it just on the screen, but at least it doesn't take up shelf space and clutter the house. (I loved CL when it's just SFB and F&E-- such simple times...!)

Option 2: Advanced Missions, C1, C2, J, and K. I would love to have a complete set o' Doomsdayness. Just wish I had the time and the SFB-contacts to get as much use out of it as it deserves....

Option 3: Advanced Missions, Starfleet Marines: Assault, and Captains Log #45. A more sane combination. An updated Advanced Missions would surely get some use... a complete and compact game that fills a niche that Traveller never dealt with. And I just love to kick back and read a REAL physical copy of Captain's Log. Oh... yeah...!

Sigh.

Okay. When I'm running an rpg campaign, I don't have time to do anything else... so there's probably no need to drop the cash just yet. It's so hard to predict what my next "thing" will be anyway. (I had no idea that the rpg folks would want to start back up again for instance.) But it's fun to do some virtual shopping anyway.... (I'll probably save it back in case I get to go to Origins next year.)

What are you dying to get...?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, my collection of Cap Logs with FC content is up to date... writing short humour pieces for Cap Log has gotten me some contributor's copies, which helps.

If I had some spare cash, what would I get?

Some Starline 2500 Klingons and Federation ships. Supplies are thin in Australia still. My wallet is even thinner.
FC: Battleships Attack (still don't have that one...) and the booster packs of DNs
Omega eMaster Rule Book from e23. Or maybe the modules instead. Omega looks interesting.

Waiting on Ogre 6e which I have pre-ordered from my FLGS.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
Some Starline 2500 Klingons and Federation ships. Supplies are thin in Australia still. My wallet is even thinner.

My local game store has a box of 100 Feds and a box of 100 Klinks.

(The owner is nuts for ACTA.)
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to go shopping there.. I need more minis.

A box of 100 each???
At 16 to the fleet box... that's difficult.
And at 5 to the Squadron box - that's 20 of each squadron box.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
A box of 100 each???

Wait.... The price was $100.

Sorry. Brain lapse!

Still... it was more mini's than I could normally imagine.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Okay. that's the 16 ship fleet box then. That makes sense.

I have two each of those... still...
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 4: Advanced Missions, Module H1, Module W... and Captain's Log #45. (Maybe C6 instead of the cap's log if it is out when I order.)

If the map sheets are good quality, this is probably what I'd go with. (I think I got to use H1 and W when I was at Origins and it was a much better experience.)
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 5: $100 is not enough. I should spend as much as I spent on Ogre 6e! Advanced Missions, C1, C2, C3A, J, K, Omega 3, CL #45, H1, Deluxe Space Battle Maps... and C6.

That's more like it. Wink
CarlZog
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:
Option 4: Advanced Missions, Module H1, Module W... and Captain's Log #45. (Maybe C6 instead of the cap's log if it is out when I order.)

If the map sheets are good quality, this is probably what I'd go with.

I've been debating over Module W too, just to have a relatively inexpensive map for minis play. But like you, I can't get a sense of how durable it is.

Or you just drop the whole wad on three sets of Deluxe Battle Maps -- which is also something I've actually been thinking about.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlZog wrote:
I've been debating over Module W too, just to have a relatively inexpensive map for minis play. But like you, I can't get a sense of how durable it is.

Or you just drop the whole wad on three sets of Deluxe Battle Maps -- which is also something I've actually been thinking about.

Maps are a big deal.

My gaming opportunities are few enough that it's pretty much "pics or it didn't happen."

I liked the module W I had when I was in high school... and I already have a set of Brilliant Lances maps. But I can't deal with some dude telling me that I really should consider investing in some plexiglass.

The only problem with the Deluxe Battle Maps is that they are so glossy that they glare easily in pictures. I think the answer to that is to back up and then zoom in. Doing that is much less hassle than getting paper maps laminated or putting plexiglass on top of them.
CarlZog
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:
Doing that is much less hassle than getting paper maps laminated or putting plexiglass on top of them.

I have to confess, I bought into the plexiglass cult playing Star Wars minis and rpgs. I have a ton of different location maps that are printed on little more than glossy paper for those games. A large, cheap poster frame from the craft store provided a nice piece of plexi that protected a wide variety of maps.

But for a blank star map that I'll use a lot, it seems worth investing in something that will last on its own.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More stuff to get: a pack of plastic stands to replace the ones I've broken. Also... a 2400 Gorn CL and DD. (I just realize I'd have all the mini's I need to play out "A Mission of Vital Importance" and the fact that these are the old series models is fine because that's an early years scenario!)
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the stories in GURPS Romulans and Captain's Log #29, my son is crazy for plasma.

Looks like time for Option 6: Federation Commander Romulan Border and some Gorn miniatures.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 2005 edition of Advanced Missions 'cuz I couldn't wait for the new edition. I don't expect the counters to be updated and can buy the updated SSD's from e23 when I care enough.

This old post reminds me, though.... Maybe if I can't get that Gorn Fleet Box for Christmas, I can put it off until my son's birthday. And instead get the Romulan Border FedCom set for Christmas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: