Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFB in the Early Years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: SFB in the Early Years Reply with quote

After seeing Xander's new art, I was minded to start this thread up, and see if anyone else was similarly inspired to talk about this fascinating era once more (or perhaps for the first time).

As the above cover suggests, there have been three SFB modules looking at the Early Years in the Alpha Octant thus far; each offering a chance to explore one of the truly defining eras of SFU history.

It was a time when almost no-one had overloads; when the Gorns and Federation had yet to meet; when the founding planets of the ISC only gradually learned to set their rivalries aside and work together; when a Klingon invasion of the Romulans was averted only by the unexpected arrival of a Tholian sphere; when old ironclad designs gradually made way for the immediate forerunners of the modern star fleets (not least Star Fleet itself); and when the borders which seem so "normal" to modern eyes were anything but.

The Early Years ships are broadly divided into two types; the W-era, where the first warp-refitted (or warp-driven, in the case of the early ISC) starships entered service; and the Y-era, which saw the first vessels built from the ground up to incorporate mature tactical warp technology emerge on the stage.

Notably, both the Federation and ISC go through the W-era with seperate planetary fleets; only in the Y-era do the first saucer-and-nacelle Star Fleet ships and the first two-prong (in contrast to the more modern three-prong) ISC naval vessels start to make their mark.

Also, two "new" (well, "old") powers were major factors in this era, only to have been removed from the scene by the time the Middle years roll along. The Carnivons, a canine species genetically related to the Kzintis and Lyrans, fought both of these rival species before they were laid low; while the Paravians terrorized their Gorn genetic cousins before a Sun Snake wiped out their existence... in the Alpha Octant, at least.

Does anyone here have an interest in this era?

(As an aside, Module C5 includes a few Y-era ships for the Baduvai and Eneen; I'm not sure how well they might play with Early Years ships in Alpha, but it could be an interesting simulator exercise...)
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a setting where the D6 and the E4 are cutting edge designs.

In theory, I like a rules light game, but in practice... Basic Set with just D7 vs. CA can be as rules light as I want. The lack of overloads (I am afraid) would cause the Y game to not be SFB anymore. (That is fear, not experience talking there.)

Multi-racial empires are a favourite of mine, so more info on the ISC is neat.

So far I've just played the space boar scenario from Y1 with a Hydran ship or two....
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:
I like a setting where the D6 and the E4 are cutting edge designs.

That would be the Middle Years, not the Early Years. (I am sure you already know this, just keeping things clear.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you really want your overloads, there is one handy thing the Y-era lets you do; fly smaller Neo-Tholian ships against Alpha opponents!

(The sphere had two NDDs and four NFFs when it arrived; all six had working, overloadable particle cannons, and the NDDs even had their web casters, too. However, the Holdfast Tholians were only able to repair the samples already in service, and weren't in a position to build more; once the six ships were lost, the Tholians were driven to go out and capture disruptor technology instead.)

The Tholians are, essentially, flying the equivalent of X-tech against the D3s and D4s the Klingons had to hand; but even they could not get around their smaller hull sizes forever.

(Also, the Jindarians had their "modern" tech throughout the Early Years; making any attempt to take on a Caravan a particularly thorny prospect.)
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SFB in the Early Years Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:

Does anyone here have an interest in this era?

Yes, I find that era very interesting! It's going to be a while before I can get into it though being as how I'm rebuilding my SFB collection of modules.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone would mind if you decided to jump around the queue a bit...
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the double post; but Xander is showing off again!

(There is something of an ISC vibe with some of the design elements, I find...)
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool look'n ship, but it does scream ISC.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ths era very much intrests me, and I hope we see more of it in FC sometime.

How in the world did the tholians manage to lose 2 web caster ships to the pathetic klink ships at that time? That would be like wooden ships defeating ironclads.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Ths era very much intrests me, and I hope we see more of it in FC sometime.

How in the world did the tholians manage to lose 2 web caster ships to the pathetic klink ships at that time? That would be like wooden ships defeating ironclads.

We had this discussion a while back. Yes it's the equivalent of an X-ship. However, it's still just a destroyer (or a frigate). It's not invincible - throw enough ships at it, and eventually it will die. You might lose 10 to kill that one, but you can build 10 more and get enough subject/slave races to recrew those ships. The Tholians can't rebuild their lost ship, or recover the lost technology.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows why the Klingons didn't just smash the Tholians upon first discovering em. 10 Ships would still take time to build, which would mean 10 less ships to deal with the Kzinti's.
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buyed Y1, will start playing it tommorow.

Just to be clear :

The gorn can only use Plasma Bolt until Y100, no standard torpedoes, right ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: