Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aztecing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Aztecing Reply with quote

I was reading on another thread about people who were thinking about aztecing their models... I was going to reply there, but then it occurred to me that it would have been hijacking the thread Smile So I figured I'd start a new thread with ideas on how to do it Very Happy

I had experimented on a set of Zocchi's that I had purchased from ADB last year:

I accomplished this by spraying the model with flat grays and then masking it off and spraying the model again with a gloss clearcoat. The masking wasn't too hot, but it was a first experiment Smile It looks pretty good when the light bounces off of it! So, anyone have any other interesting ideas on how to do aztecing?

--Guy (Aabh)
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually not too bad. I'm not sure how effective it would be in play (since it's only the difference [I assume] between gloss and matte finishes), but it's be interesting to see.

I have several of the Zocchi and CC saucers in the bits box. I may try that on one of them this week as an experiment.

I still intend to do this to my first Mongoose CC, although I'm still leaning towards either a set of photo-etched brass airbrush templates, or a set of lo-tac, frisket film templates. The brass will be a bit harder to complete and use - but will be reuseable. The frisket film will most likely be a one-shot deal.

A combination of ghost grey base coat with a gull grey aztec pattern should be subtle enough to look good w/o distracting. After that, it's only a matter of scale. i.e., how large do you make the sections? The commercially available decals have approximately 15 bands from the edge of the saucer to the central bubble. That's fine for a 1:1000 or 1:350 scale model, but it's a bit much for a 1:3125 scale version. I'll play around with the templates, but expect to settle around 10 separate bands.
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points!

I've always thought the first mistake people often make is to make the aztecing too obvious... it seems like the patterns on the hulls were not even really visible unless a ship was being hit with light... otherwise they were kinda uniform looking...
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. The aztec pattern should be very un-obvious. The azteccing on the film model was so faint, many people do not even realize it's there.

I'll try for a similar effect when I do the CC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: