Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase priority

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Booneron
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Purchase priority Reply with quote

So when cleaning out some stuff in the basement a couple of weeks ago, lo and behold, I ran across my old SFB stuff - what was left of it anyway. I played with a couple of guys back when we were in high school, but it seems I lent out my rulebooks and SSDs to a casual acquaintance back then and never got them back. D'oh!

Fortunately for me, I now have a larger gaming group, ADB is still in business, and they offer all the replacement parts. Woohoo!

And there is a fun new streamlined ruleset called Federation Commander. Woohoo! Woohoo!

So I think I'd like to jump back in, but play FC instead. I still have the map panels and a lot of counters, so I think all I need to start with is the FC rulebook and SSDs.

I'd love some advice on what to buy (i.e. my purchase priority). I'm thinking I need the rulebook PDF via e23 for starters.

Then, should I get a few of the ship packs on e23, or get the SSD parts of Klingon/Romulan Border, or just get Klingon/Romulan attack?

I just want to get enough stuff that my gaming group (8 of us) can try it out to start with. If they like it, then I think I'll know what to get later on. I want more than the 2 ships in the FC Intro mission PDF provides though.

Please let me know what is a good but economical way to let my group try this out. Thanks!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just get the Reference Rulebook (PDF or paper) and then go trolling through Commanders' Circle for ship cards? This should give you enough to get started and see what you like.

Then, you can always go buy the laminated ship cards as spare parts from the Online Store.

Finally, if you like the slightly older, unrefitted ships, you can always buy the Briefing #2 book and get a whole set of B&W paper ship cards.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booster #91 goes well with Briefing #2, also; since it has the "Franz Joseph" ships that served in the "tri-video" era.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to try out the free demo version "First Missions", available here:

http://www.federationcommander.com/FCFirstMissions.pdf

It's a great way to demo the product first.

Garrett
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost ALL my old SFB stuff. What I did was re buy the SFB basic set and Advanced missions as well as other modules and have not regretted it. I did get Federation Commander Klingon Border which is excellent. I use the Fed Com stuff way more because I'm short on time. I would also put in not to forget the mini's, those seem to make the games more fun and visually stunning.
kirbykibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the klingon border is good for starters
(a good o'l fashion feds Vs. klingons)
the pack has the basic rules as well as counters and cards
Booneron
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think my group will like playing and I'll use a handful of ships from the communique's to start with. I'm guessing that I'll end up getting KB, KA, RB, and RA plus the Orion ship pack after we play a time or two.
dharras
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booneron wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think my group will like playing and I'll use a handful of ships from the communique's to start with. I'm guessing that I'll end up getting KB, KA, RB, and RA plus the Orion ship pack after we play a time or two.

There is also Klingon/Romulan Space - which gives you the non-duplicated parts of Klingon/Romulan border (so if you buy KB, you could buy Romulan Space to avoid duplicating a rulebook, map panels and accessory items).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: