Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some details to flesh out the Brecons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Some details to flesh out the Brecons Reply with quote

I posted a simple question on the legacy board, that the PD Fed book says that the only real difference between the Grenpahk and Sorel is hair color, but it doesn't say what those colors are?

Now I'm sure I'll get an answer that it really don't matter for my game sessions and that would be true. However I would like to take some of our current sessions and either write them up for fiction to submit or (and this is my first choice) to make them into a graphic novel to submit to ADB.

If I go the graphic novel format, I'll need to flesh out the two Brecon team members and there are a few things I'll need to know to model them. (I do not draw well, I make 3d models and render them.)

So hair color is really only the first of several questions. Next is in regards to the arms. Are the lower arms the same length as the upper arms or can they be a bit shorter?

Anatomically speaking, do the lower arms have scapulas similar to our arms? Do they have scapulas like ours for the upper arms?

I'm sure I'll come up with more as I work on the basic male form (and even more when I get around to the female form), but for now, any help would be appreciated.
aramis
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Some details to flush out the Brecons Reply with quote

phdillman wrote:
I posted a simple question on the legacy board, that the PD Fed book says that the only real difference between the Grenpahk and Sorel is hair color, but it doesn't say what those colors are?

Having worked with horsemen who loved to yammer on, I immediately saw the play on Sorel=Sorrel

Wikipedia wrote:
Sorrel is an alternative word for one of the most common equine coat colors in horses. While the term is usually used to refer to a copper-red shade of chestnut, in some places it is used generically in place of "chestnut" to refer to any reddish horse with a same-color or lighter mane and tail, ranging from reddish-gold to a deep burgundy or chocolate shade. The term probably comes from the color of the flower spike of the sorrel herb.

Grenpahk looks to be a similar play on "Green Pack."

Hence, I suspect they are red haired and green haired.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly, none of that has likely been defined, and I believe there are only a very small handful of illustrations on the Brecon thus far. What I recommend is this:

1) Email (no posting on the boards, but actual email) Jean and Steve Cole, asking if any of these definitions have been made. (Quite frankly, probably not.)

2) If they haven't been defined thus far, make your model and submit the results (in some nice, usable pictures) to ADB. (I.e. email them to the aforementioned Jean and Steve.) Ask if what you drew works.

3) Assuming the first two steps go well (and it is quite likely they will), you have just helped define 'canon' for the Brecon.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember a hair color being defined for the Breccon, but then, lack of memory is not memory of lacking info.

There is art of the breccon which would make the arm length clear. It's been published in one or two of the RPG books.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Green and purple. Laughing

Seriously? Brown and blonde, probably, if you want realistic colours. Black and white (platinum blonde) maybe. Or maybe red and something else.

Arm length, from what I have seen on illustrations in PD: main rules and PD: Feds, is that the arm length is the same for both arms. Scapula I don't know what that is.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two separate replies....

I needed something for Joel to do today so I sent him everything to create a "brecon page" on the website. Watch the "what's new page" and it should turn up today or tomorrow or the next day, just depending on what else is on his work list. The art there will answer your arm question.

As for hair color, here's the thing. So far as I know, nobody ever said, so just pick something (black and brown?) but sure as heck if I declare that to be the answer someone will say "but on page xxx of product xxx is says green and purple" and if that happens, I was wrong about black and brown.
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I have with the art work I've seen so far is that the secondary set of arms are folded, which makes length estimations harder. Not impossible, just harder.

I compleatly understand SVC's thing about the hair color, which is exactly why I asked the question. Very Happy

Terry: a scapula is the anatomical name for a shoulder blade. It's a key portion of the shoulder joint and if the secondary arms don't have scapulas, then I'll have to create a new type of joint. Currently I'm thinking a ball and socket type simular to the hip joint attached to a rib.

Well, I'll make up a quick model this evening after work and email it to SVC and Jean.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the arms, I got the impression (nothing hard, just the impression) that the second set of arms are supposed to be co-equal to the other set. In other words, they just happen to have four "normal", fully functional and capable arms.

For the anatomy, do whatever works. I have to assume they have something as structurally sound, and quite similar to, a normal human shoulder system. How about something where each arm has a smaller, but equally stable scapula? I seriously doubt anyone has thought about the issue to that degree.

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were designing the Brecon anatomy, I'd go one of two ways:

1) What Mike West suggested. There's no good reason that a slightly longer scapula could not have evoleved. One that has two shoulder joints set more or less atop one another. The musclular connections would not necessarily prevent such an arrangement.

2) Or, my preferred method. Basically, duplication and invert the existing scapula/clavicle. Have a double clavicle arrangement where the lower clavicle replaces the bottom rib. The lower shoulder joint would be different, but it's a totally separate evolutionary track. Move the lower joint in a touch to account forthe narrowing of the torso at the waist, and then you can allow the upper set of arms to hang naturally outside the lower arms. Shorten the lower clavicle a bit to provide a greater range of motion, and you still get the downward flex needed to allow the lower arms to drape in what humans would consider a natural posture.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brecon page is up: http://www.federationcommander.com/Brecon.shtml
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone looked at John Carter of Mars, the Thark are pretty much what your discussing (vice the color, probably configuration of the face) ----
Jim Lewis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Brecon come up, I think of Goro from Mortal Kombat.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense intended, but I just had to laugh when I read the subject line of this thread. You want to "flush out the Brecon" ... you mean they're in hiding and you want to get them out in the open to shoot them? Or perhaps they're stuck in the plumbing and you want to flush the clog down the drain? I do believe you meant to type "flesh out the Brecon". Laughing

(Of course, this means I have to exta careful proofreading my posts for the next month, or I'll end up with a silly typo of my own and someone will gleefully point it out.)

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...and then launched a series of signal beacons...

Ah, the famous Brecon Beacons.

Hmm, I wonder; if a member of another Federation species wants to go out with a Brecon, do they always end up on a double date?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Hmm, I wonder; if a member of another Federation species wants to go out with a Brecon, do they always end up on a double date?

I know you were joking, but taking it seriously anyway ...

Given all of their other hangups, I have to imagine inter-species dating/mating would be extremely frowned upon, if not outright banned. So, as a general concept, I would imagine the question has never been directly addressed (in-game, much less with game rules).

So, I figure the only ones who would attempt to do so are already breaking (or at least pushing) the rules, so it could be done in just about any way desired. (E.g. a surviving Brecon, having lost his 'twin', and thus being marriageable in his culture, "branches out" with another species.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: