Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Holes and Displacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Black Holes and Displacement Reply with quote

Can an Andro self-displace within 2 hexes of a black hole? The DD is a quasi-direct fire weapon and DF weapons are prohibited from firing if LOS passes within 2 hexes of a black hole.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't think anything would affect "Same Hex" LOS
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ship is within 2 hexes of the black hole, its LOS will by definition fall within 2 hexes, even to itself.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may also be required to draw LOS to the target hex, in which case the LOS between its current location and the target will pass too close to the black hole.

I suppose the real question is, can an Andromedan use its disdevs to escape a black hole or is it dead like everyone else?

I suspect this may need a Mike ruling.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone would say something that sparked an "obvious answer" in my mind. Wink

By the straight reading of (6G3d) and (5U3a) I have to say, no, the Andromedan may not self-displace. Fundamentally, (6G3d) pretty much means that *no* direct-fire weapon can ever be used by a ship within two hexes of a black hole. That would include displacement devices.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree. For direct-fire weapons, even if the target is in the same hex, there is still a LOS, just it's only 10km rather than 10,000km.

Therefore it follows that a direct-fire weapon may not be fired even at targets in the same hex where that hex is within 2 hexes of a black hole - is that right, Mike W?

From this it would follow that because a DD is a direct-fire weapon, it cannot be 'fired' even at the ship itself.

If you want a technobabble reason, why not say that the same spatial distortions that cause the disruption of the direct-fire weapons' targeting do the same for the displacement device's targeting. In essence, it's not the type of weapon that is important but the fact that the targeting is screwed up. That's always been my take on it, anyway.
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you fall into the case, that a weapon may not target a friendly vessel (3A3),
so in that vein you take the DD out of the Direct Fire Weapon Category ----

Simple is not always so simple ---
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
Then you fall into the case, that a weapon may not target a friendly vessel (3A3),
so in that vein you take the DD out of the Direct Fire Weapon Category ----

Simple is not always so simple ---

That is a general rule that is (obviously) overridden by the specific rule of the Displacement Device. It happens. Besides, the Displacement Device is described as being "in effect" a direct-fire weapon. It's all a special case, no matter what. Regardless, it is specifically stated to operate within the broad confines of direct-fire weapons, with a few exceptions (e.g. can "fire" on friendly units, causes no direct damage).

Regardless, I still think (6G3d) effectively prevents any direct-fire (or direct-fire-like) weapon from even being fired if within two hexes of a black hole.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: