Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warp Speed Table error?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Warp Speed Table error? Reply with quote

http://www.starfleetgames.com/documents/Warp_Speed_in_SFU.pdf
Sgt_G spotted this 18 months ago. At Warp 8.5 a ship traveling at this speed can go 108.41 parsecs per day and 1004 parsecs per month. This goes against the 30 day month formula. Shouldn't the speed per day equal 1004/30 or 33.47?

If this has been addressed, I'm sorry haven't seen it yet.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug up my original post on the subject: Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Prime Directive RPG: PD AFTER ACTION REPORTS: GURPS PRIME DIRECTIVE 4TH EDITION --- 16 Sept 2013

James Goodrich pointed out a line in the notes under the table: "Note that auxiliary ships cannot "dash" more than 1,004 parsecs in a 30-day period as their engines cannot take the heat."

In other words, a ship going Warp 8.5 can go (108.41 * 30) = 3,252.3 parsecs per month, but Aux ships and such can't go that far. I guess they dash for an hour or a day then slow down to rest for two hours/days.

Personally, I like the idea that the "dash multiplier" increases as the Warp factor increases.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. forgot about that detail.
So anything over Warp 8 is dash speed? That makes sense. Or maybe Warp 8 is the lower end of Dash Speed? It kind of goes along with the old TV show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: