Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deckplans.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Deckplans. Reply with quote

Love the Burke and Klingon Gunboat Deckplans. Any chance that other starships deckplans will come out at some point?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt. G was working on Federation Police Ship deckplans, I think, or maybe the crew roster. Or both. Can't remember.
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Romulan d20 and CL 36 have the Romulan Skyhawk.

CL 31 has the Snipe.

There's a few others I think, but none have been given the G1 gunboat treatment.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the crew roster for the Fed FFG in CL-43, based off the one I did for the POL (posted to the board but not published). I finished the deck plans, but then the ship grew about 18 meters longer and another full deck with the Starline 2500 mini design, so I have to start over.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that Nick Blank has at least one more brewing (I *think* he's mentioned the Klingon F-5). It might be a while though, as they take a (understandably) long time to complete.

I look forward to it though. They're one of my favorite things in the SFU. Captain's Log issues with them are among my favorites.

@ Garth - I'm still looking forward to seeing the finished Pol deckplans. The previews have looked great.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the deck plans for ships centrally located or scattered around various books? We play GURPS PD as an extension of our FedCom games, and I'd love to get my hands on these deck plans for future games! Very Happy

-------
Guy Davis
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy the deckplans for the Klingon G1 gunboat as a product, right HERE.

That didn't sell as much as everybody hoped, so all the other deckplans are indeed scattered through various PD books (every empire sourcebook has an appropriate one and the Prime Trader is in the core rulebooks) and occasionally in Captain's Log (in reduced size).
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, just in case you were wondering, here are the (out of print) deckplans for the diminutive Courier and the Seeker/Skiff.

These were actually deckplans for the classic Traveller ships. But they are also the deckplans for the corresponding SFU ships!

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that, Mike. Thanks!!
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of articles for Captains Logs has what deck plans are in which CL, but do not include other products.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/documents/Captains%20Log%20Index/INDEX_OF_CAPTAIN's_Log5.pdf
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two questions about deck plans, and it is often hard to tell which question is being asked.

Version one: What deck plans have been published in "reference scale" and where are they found? The guys pretty much answered that one. I guess if somebody wanted we could probably create a series of PDF products including those. (Not mentioned anywhere were the D7 plans which are on the website for free download.)

Version two: What deck plans have been published in "playable traveller scale" to date? The answer is: Only the G1, although SVC has given hints that he's working on a set for the D7. The G1 didn't sell very well and was a pain to create. Worse, ships in SFB are gigantically bigger than traveller players imagine. A Free Trader from SFB would take a very large dinner table. A D7 done in full traveller scale mode would take four pingpong tables.

I am, as rumored, working on a new concept of plans for the D7. The squares are mostly one inch (not 1.5 inches) so that each deck fits on about 3 sheets of standard paper. However, it drives me insane that Traveller insists on a rigid 1.5 inch square no matter where the partitions are, leaving tiny slivers of squares on the other side of a wall. The D7 plans I am working on (to the shock and dismay of Traveller players) stretch or shink the boxes as needed to make them fit with the partitions. If a given compartment is 1.8 inches wide, then it gets two 0.9 inch squares. Also, I'm doing these in a "smaller scale" (a traveller square is what, about three feet?) with squares that are at least twice as many real world feet just to get the ship to the point you can play it. That said, the D7 has 9 decks and most decks take a 22x17 footprint. If we set aside the highest decks for the moment, you're looking at a footprint for the complete ship in "Steve Cole big enough to be playable" scale that is going to be about 4.5 x 8 feet, enough for one pingpong table. Doing the D7 in Traveller scale would take four such tables, and few rooms in American homes can hold four pingpong tables. But give them a chance. I plan to use the same plans for Project T, KRAG, and Prime Directive.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give some rough equivalencies between SFU starships and Traveller sizes:
Shuttle: 3-5 dton. (I will be going with 5 dton to get everything in.)
Courier: 50 dton. (Same as a Traveller Modular Cutter.)
Skiff: 100 dton. (Same as the Traveller Type-S Scout.)
Gunboat: 150 dton.
Free Trader: 5000 dton.
Fed Police Cutter: 2000 dton.
Fed Frigate: 5000 dton.
Fed Destroyer: 10,000 dton.
Fed Heavy Cruiser: 19,000 dton.
Klingon D7: 15,000 dton.

(Where a "dton" is a Traveller displacement ton, or about 14 cubic meters.)

So, what this means is that SFU warships tend to be somewhat smaller than Traveller warships (where larger warships can exceed 100,000 dton). However, the smaller ships seen in the Traveller universe tend to not exist at all in the SFU. The SFU has a huge gap at say 200 dton (the max size of a gunboat or skiff) and 2000 dton (the size of a typical police cutter). That is a whole range of "player scale" ships that just don't exist in the SFU.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Steve -

I'm very happy with the deck plans even in small Captain's Log scale. I'm more after the arrangement and data than playability. There's probably a good chunk of "readers" like me - always happy to see new stuff coming from Nick (and Garth, and you).

Someday, once the resin minis line is really built out and development has slowed w-a-y down, I'm likely to take a crack at doing some deckplans myself. I work in an old copy of FreeHand and I've heard that helps, some, for making them digestible for ADB's Macs.

On another note about deckplans -

There was mention at some point of deck plans for the standard small freighter being in an old product (I think the poster indicated the core book for the original PD1). However, I went and looked there and no-joy.

Anybody ever seen them and remember where? I'd have loved to have referenced them for my inputs on that SL2500 mini, but that ship sailed months ago.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime Adventures #1 (a PD1 book) has the Small Freighter and a Tramp Freighter overlay. Sometime ago, ADB had some extra (spare, not the size) Small Freighter sheets laying around, but I don't know it that is still the case.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall there being a number of deck plans for certain ships from the Babylon 5 setting, in one of the books (Warships of Babylon 5) done as part of the Traveller adaptation Mongoose made when they still had said licence.

Does anyone know what scale, and in what format, the plans were published there?

(It might be a more useful comparison, since B5 has fairly large capital ships itself. Unless, if this review is any indication, it may instead show an example of what not to do this time around...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: