Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinning saucers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Pinning saucers Reply with quote

Okay... so I'm at a tipping point (HA!)...

Has anyone else felt that the BC needs to be pinned to the neck? Or do we think it'll hold with simply with glue and putty?

Thanks,

---Guy

-------
Guy Davis
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had to hold mine in place for about 5 min using gorilla super glue
DHarris
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far mine have held up pretty well with just super glue. They are light weight so it shouldnt take a lot to keep em together.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've glued 6 of hte BCs together so far and haven't eeded anythgin morethan a drop of super glue and a little patience.
Two of them have already been dropped during use and all they did was bounce off the concrete floor.

The 2500s are very light and very resilient.
iams
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you wash them off thoroughly with Ajax or something like that, as the mold release can interfere with the glue and the paint.

Check out my Photobucket for SFB/Fed Comm and Trek Props!

http://s111.photobucket.com/home/Admiralkisluk/index
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! Thanks guys!

I'll put the dish on right away! Very Happy

-------
Guy Davis
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who here read the topic title and thought, "I didn't know detatched saucers could pin enemy ships in F&E"???

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new star trek episode: Gravity Well and the Concrete Wall of Space
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done assembly on mine yet, as I was waiting for more discussions just like this to establish the needs/lack-thereof for pinning.

I have noticed that the frequently mentioned ever-so-slightly porous nature of the resin does seem to be true. It looks like these will really, really, let superglues "tooth in" well (even more-so for epoxies). Given the far lower density of the resin vs. pewter, I'm certainly leaning toward not pinning.

I will agree those that the joints on the Fed saucers, and Klingon cruiser engines are giving me pause. Those are established problem points on the legacy metal minis and lots of us have 20+ years of history dealing with them popping off. It will take some time to adjust to the new material.

As mentioned up-thread, I think surface prep will be just as important on these as on metal. Clean, oil-free, *flat* surfaces will be critical for best strength.

I've noticed the resin ships' dorsal necks will have a tiny bit of "flash" on their upper face. Make sure to file that away so the "pegs" are clear and nothing interferes with their fit-up into the corresponding "holes" in the saucer.

A "jig" would be advisable to help assure that the saucer is being glued on level, both side-to-side and forward-aft. The jig could be as simple as some stacked washers, or more involved and permanent if you intend to do a lot of these ships (I do, so mine will be made using cheap "craft" sticks, like THIS ONE for my metal Fed cruisers).

On the Klingon cruisers, I've also noticed that they can benefit from some file/sanding work to make sure the engine "wing" and rear hull joint is clean and flat. Any protuberances will cause the engine to not be at the correct angle.

Last edited by djdood on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... so using Weldbond is not the answer:

I guess it will have to be Gorilla Glue. I let the BC sit for 24 hours and just popping it on the stand both popped it off the mount AND snapped the dish off.

-------
Guy Davis
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what WeldBond is, but if it is typical plastic model kit "glue" then no, it won't do anything on these.

Welding-type "glues" work by using toluene or another solvent to partially dissolve the polystyrene or ABS plastics, welding the two parts together.

The resin used for these new minis (and most resin kits in the small-run "garage kit" market too) does not react with "weld" type glues.

The clear stands themselves are probably polystyrene though and will react to that kind of glue, but with noting to weld to it will just turn the stand peg to goo and deform it. Once the solvent all evaporates out, the peg might still be usable (Hopefully).

Gorilla Glue might work on these minis, but I've never used it and can't speak to what it is made of.

The best glues for these resin minis that I can recommend from my experience would be cyanacrylate "super" glues (gelled "gap filling" kind would be best for most joints) and/or 2-part liquid epoxy glues. Both are a bit of a pain to use (superglues bond everything, including skin and epoxy glues have to be mixed from two liquids) but they are both "surface" bonding glues and will work well on this resin.

BTW - I note that you chose to fill the grid lines on the saucer with greenstuff. You're the first person I've seen do that and it will be interesting to see who they look painted up as "smoothies".

Last edited by djdood on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only use the gorilla super glue and it probably works too well, some mistakes are hard to fix.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I've noticed the resin ships' dorsal necks will have a tiny bit of "flash" on their upper face. Make sure to file that away so the "pegs" are clear and nothing interferes with their fit-up into the corresponding "holes" in the saucer.

Beware: The BC saucer (IIRC - I;m at work right now and not in front of my minis) has "ridges" on the top of the dorsal neck in addtion to any flash that may be present. Those ridges fit into the grooves /weld lines / shield grid on the underside of the saucer to prevent unslightly gaps from appearing when assembled.
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad: Thanks! I'm going to head off to a store for glue then in a bit.

Re:grid lines: yes, I have a plan! Well... I have an idea... we'll see if it turns out good or not. For the most part I've set it up so the CAs, DD's, SCs and Tugs are all Zocchi and the bigger ships (And the FFs) are 2500s. They work well together (It makes the BC seem a whole LOT bigger, which is reasonable and the DN is MASSIVE! Very Happy), but they won't match since the grid lines pop OUT on the Zocchi and they are recessed on the 2500s. Hopefully, this will work out to "Average" the two out Very Happy I'll certainly keep you posted!

-------
Guy Davis
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
So who here read the topic title and thought, "I didn't know detatched saucers could pin enemy ships in F&E"???

ME!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: