Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Ship Decal question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red24
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Federation Ship Decal question Reply with quote

So I'm working on decals for my Federation ships and they are almost ready. You can seem my painting progress here: https://plus.google.com/photos/103588561671775506183/albums/5706656910462195105

I'm trying to decide if some, none, or all of my Federation ships should have the two red circular lines on the upper hull. I've build my decals with them in place, knowing that I can cut them out if I choose not to use them.

So my question is: What is the "history" of these lines?

I just was wondering if they had a certain SFB significance, or was just someone idea of what might look cool. Maybe, historically, some ships were supposed to sport them. If so, which ones?

I guess what's holding up my decision is that "classic trek" didn't have them, and I'm wondering how they relate to SFU. I think they look cool, but also may be totally unnecessary.

Thanks for all the info that I know will follow.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "history" of the red "war circles/leader circles" is a bit murky.

At its most basic, Ted Giebel (the first CGI artist doing cover artwork for ADB) added them to his NCL model and a few others. From what I've heard he added them for no other reason than they "looked pretty cool". They then started appearing in some of his other work.

His choice of initial subject (the General War era NCL) led some folks to form the idea that these were a wartime thing (like the black/white stripes used on airplanes in Europe for "D Day", etc.).

There's never been an official "decision" from ADB on them, that I've seen (they're not part of the official painting guides, etc.).

However, SVC & Co. (and CGI artist Adam Turner) seem to agree with a consensus that developed among minis-fanatic folks like Tony Thomas and myself -

For us, the rings are a wartime morale-building or identification marking. They are applied to classes built for the war effort, such as the the BB, DNH, DNG, BC(H), NCA, NCF, NCL, DWH, DW, FFB, etc.

Classes with firm "pre-war" design history and production (Franz Joseph DN, CA, GSC, CF, Tug, DD, Scout, FF, etc.) do not have them.

I use that pattern for which decals sets include them on the tenneshington decals. Obviously, you are free to follow your own vision.

Last edited by djdood on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Red24
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I knew there would be some cool history like that.

So I also forgot to ask...

For ships with a 3 digit registration number, is the convention a leading 0 our not?
So NCC-321 or NCC-0321?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leading zero is an error that Mongoose made in their lists and some prototype decals. The leading zeros are in some of ADB's ship lists as a database sorting convenience, but they are never shown on the ships themselves. Mongoose interpreted the lists too literally.

It is always NCC-301 or NCC-900, never NCC-0301 or NCC-0900. This is especially true after the most-recent film came out, where Paramount's U.S.S. Kelvin was NCC-0514.

Last edited by djdood on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will pretty much summed up any comments I would have made.

Many of us [myself included] consider the saucer rings to be war-time efforts only.
Others refuse the do any Fed ships w/o them, and some don't use them at all as they consider them non-cannonical...
and there's a 4th group [those that do not have an opinion either way].

I have to admit that I've crossed both sides of the side on occasion.
Typically I do rings on the "war" classes and not the pre-GW ships; but, I do have some of the pre-war ships with rings.

I tend to use them when using late war classes (for a consistent appearance) and use the non-ringed CAs, FFs, and DDs when playing older scenarios.

The end result of this rather long-winded post is that there is nothing "official" that establishes whihc vessels have rings and which don't - so do whatever ye will. The mini-police are not going to kick in your door in he middle of the night and confiscate your non-conforming miniatures.
Jim Lewis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Combat Leader Rings, and use them in my own mind to denote ships & crews that have earned a special distinction in service. I also like them because they look good on Federation starships. That small bit of trim dresses them up.

I just finished painting my little Burke-class Frigate and decided I would like my Starline 2500 Federation minis to sport the Combat Leader Rings.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who can hook you up with those. Wink
Jim Lewis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
I know someone who can hook you up with those. Wink

Oh yeah - believe me - I will place an order with you guys very soon!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hope to do decals for the SL2500 Fleet Boxes soon. Just need my Fleet Box of minis to measure...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: