Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for painting tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Looking for painting tips Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm looking for advice as to how to detail around the raised areas on the engine pylons of Federation ships. I am finding that no matter how careful I am, it's really hard to get a nice neat white spacing line between the raised areas.

I'm using a spray primer and spray basecoat, so it's not gonna be easy to match the color with some ordinary white paint.

So how are you guys getting nice and neat lines?

Also, the reference guide says that those raised areas should be Blue, but is there a commonly held "official shade" of blue? I don't think I like the blue I have, but fixing it is going to be pretty hard so I'm stuck with it on the one mini.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much help this will be, Bill; but...
I use an expensive airbrush to base coat my minis. By thinning the regular acrylic color to the proper consistency and spraying it on - I get nice, even coverage and still have the matching shade in a paintable format for touch-ups.

I also use a small brush and a lot of patience on the raised areas thereby reducing the need for touch-ups (but if needed, they can be done as I air-brush the regular shade of white for a base coat).

As to shades of blue... every one is different. I use a cobalt blue base coat and then highlight with cyan. I start atthe forward protion of the area in question and allow the highligths to trail off. This gives a cyan color towards the front nad a deeper. more cobalt blue towards the rear of hte area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: