Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFB Reboot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: SFB Reboot Reply with quote

I'm part of the demographic that started playing SFB way back in the day (expansions anyone?), lost touch for whatever reason, but is now back in SFU with FC. I realize this is not the SFB forum, but I hope you'll bear with me. If I were to take up SFB again, what would be a good place to start? Should I consider all my old stuff out of date? Commander's Rulebook Number Two is where I left off. Could I just pick it up from there, or should I go back to the beginning with a newer edition?
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise you start out with Basic Set and see how you like the changes, and then go from there with the rest of the expansions if you so choose. After Basic Set is Advanced Missions, which I highly recommend as the second purchase after Basic.

Off-Topic: Which part of CO are you in? I will be moving from Idaho to Monument/Co. Springs at the end of the summer.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the discussion to a more appropriate topic.

I agree with the recommendation to get Basic Set. A good second step is to get Module TR and download the tournament ships from the main website. (Ordinarily, I would make both of those links, but it is getting late tonight ...) Module TR includes all of the rules you need outside the Basic Set to run the tournament ships. The tournament ships give a nice, balanced cross section of the main powers in the SFU. That should give you a good enough idea as to whether it is worth the time and effort to expand from there.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It really has evolved over the years, and there's a lot of stuff about which I am clueless !

off topic-- Krellex, I live in Colo. Springs. We have a little group that meets at Gamer's Haven. Keep in touch.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starlist has a lot of colorado gamers including the head of F&E, the chief of staff of PD and the playtester with the most gold medals.
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I figure out what our zip code is going to be I will make a Starlist request. Very Happy And yes, there are a lot more SFU folks in CO than there are here. I am excited!
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with the Basic Set as opposed to the earlier Commander's Editions (and previous editions like Designer's) is that the Basic Set is part of the definitive rules set known as the 'Captain's Edition'.

All the rules are up-to-date and, while there are few changes from the Commander's Edition, most people on these forums will assume that the Captain's Edition is what you've got if you ask any questions.

Also the tournaments are essentially played according to the Captain's rule set (with a few minor rules to standardise proceedings, like Tournament Barrier and balanced ships).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: