Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some other rules questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Some other rules questions Reply with quote

It says in the rules "Drones can make one 60 degree turn per hex they move (Turn rate of 1.)

Does that mean "Move 1 forward, turn, move 1 forward, turn?" Or is that "Turn 60, turn 60, turn 60, turn 60?"

I was a bit confused as I haven't played in awhile.

Also, when shooting a cloaked opponent, it says "Drop strength of weapons by 50%, dropping fractions." So, say I hit an opponent with three phasor hits, doing three damage each. Do I add them all, half them, and drop the fraction for 4 damage? Or do I half and drop the fraction for each one, giving me just three damage? We applied the second interpretation, and it seemed like the cloak was almost impossible to hit for anything substantial, but that may well be intended.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First move drones make when launched is Forward (Het is allowed if it can hit target),
after that,
Drones turn and move, that move satisfies the turn mode ---
So every time it turns and moves --

IIRC you total a volley together then half (don't recall the posts where they stated that)
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add all hits in a volley together, then halve. So if they are all phasers, add up their damage and cut it in half.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just concurring with Mark and Mike.

Drones can HET on first impulse of movement if that will allow them to strike target...
Otherwise they must move straight on first impulse of movement...
After that, it's like anything else: turn 60 dergees and move, turn 60 degrees and move...

Cloaks and Damage:
The reduction is per volley. Add all the damage in the volley and reduce by 50% and then drop the fraction... so in the example you cited, you would indeed score 4 daamge points.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drone answers have been correct.

The cloak answers, however, have not. Each weapon's damage is reduced by 50%. In your example with three phasers, you will only do three points of damage. It is each weapon, not volley. (The rule says this affects direct fire weapons, and never mentions volleys. It is each individual weapon. Yes, firing disruptors and Ph-3s at a cloaked ship sucks.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...
After reading:
(3A1) DIRECT-FIRE WEAPONS
(3A4) VOLLEY DEFINITION

specifically - A Volley consists of all of the damage resulting from either:...(2) all of the Direct-Fire Weapons fired by a single ship (or a single other unit) during a single impulse at a single target...
Clearly indicating its damage from each weapon, not the actual weapons frie that makes a volley...
and then reading (5P3c) Cloaked:

I can see Mike's decision making process at work, and I can see that we have been doing it incorrectly. I guess Plasmaboy's gonna like this! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: