Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few Points Over Legal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: A Few Points Over Legal Reply with quote

I played an interesting Klingon-Fed matchup recently. I took a Klingon Squadron consisting of two D5Ws, and a DWL. The idea was to have three ships with expanded disruptor arcs, all turn mode B. It wouldn't quite be a legal squadron for tournament purposes, but it would represent the best squadron the Klingons could field without going too awfully far over the 450 point limit. I told my opponent he should take a traditional Klingon enemy. He chose Feds. To make an apples to apples comparison of two squadrons made up of all top of the line war cruisers, he took two NCAs and an NCC. That's a few more points than what I had, but I considered it a fair fight.

I wasn't at the time planning to post about this, or I would have kept detailed notes. We may replay it, and if we do, I may post a detailed after action report. The short answer is that I was 12 points over a legal squadron, he was a bit more than that, but I benefitted from my extra twelve points a lot more than he did from the extra points above the legal limit than he took. Luck was mostly average, although my turn 1 impulse 8 volley produced more 6s on the die rolls than most people see in an entire tournament, but such are the fortunes of war.

My 462 point squadron could, without turning toward the enemy, put six disruptors and twelve phaser 1s on a target. At range 9-15, with any kind of average luck, that's about 24 points of damage give or take at range 9-15. An NCA has four batteries. Unless he holds fire and uses all his reserve power to soak, that's going to hurt. For most of the game, he was losing most or all of a sheild every turn.

We were playing on a closed map. Since we play on a map with large hexes, it was slightly larger than tournament size. eventually I got jammed up in a corner, and hit by overloaded photons, but it was a lot closer fight than any Klingon-Fed tournament style matchup than we had ever seen, and on an open board, (or maybe a location map considerably larger than a tournament board) I think the Klingons could have pulled it off. As it was, the Feds took some major damage. On the volley when his photons connected, I got deep internals on one of the NCAs firing directed damage weapons. He lost all his photons on that ship and most of his phasers. Had my first volley not amounted to a light show (It did a total f two points of shelid damage), I could have done that one turn sooner. His photon torpedo volley would then have consisted of eight photons instead of twelve. Would this have changed the outcome? I don't know.

My opponent expressed the view that the best Fed squadron to engage my Klingon squadron on an open board would be two NCLs and a standard BC, and that this force would have done better than the two NCAs and the NCC. I am not so sure about this, but the matter may get put to the test at some point.

My point? I'm not sure there is one except that the Klingons seem to benefit a great deal when they can bring their top of the line ships to the fight, and if they have some room to run in, they start looking fairly scary. Which isn't a very profound or original observation. In any case, it was an interesting game.
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opponent and I discussed this game a bit more. The Klingons seem to have a hard time with Feds on a closed map, or at least a tournament sized map. On the other hand, we both agreed that an open map would lilely be unfair to the Feds. The Klingons in this case seem to be able to stay outsode overload range, and with the amount of firepower the Klingons can put out, the Feds may very well be on the clock. We then turned to the question of a location map. I'm wondering what size map would give both sides here a fair chance. Thoughts?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played 3 D5Ws against 3 Fed NCAs on a fixed 99*99 map and still lost. It was certainly a closer game than you'd normally get on a tourney map.

On the other hand that was against Paul Scott, so make of it what you will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: