Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gorn Frigate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Gorn Frigate Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there was ever a miniature for the Gorn Frigate? When I dig around I find that the DD and FF minis are semi-officially interchangeable. Is that really the case?
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, if you look at the entire line of ADB minis, there were/are minis for the frigate and for the destroyer. I have several of those minis. I can send you pictures.

The older Gorn sculpts with the old engines are beautiful.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

There was never a mini made for the Gorn frigate.

What Wedge might be remembering is that lots of folks (myself included) use the old Starline 2200 (lead, separate engines, small "wings" and rear hull) DD miniature for the Gorn FF.

The newer Starline 2300/2400 Gorn DD mini is bigger, with a larger rear hull and much larger "wings". This is due to this mini being literally a BDD mini with the rear bubble chopped off and the engines re-attached. Given the in-game upgrade path for the Gorn DD, this is entirely appropriate.

When the time comes to do the Gorn FF in Starline 2500, I will be pushing for it to carry on some of the features of the old, lead DD. Partly for nostalgia, but also because they are unique and will help it look less like a "scaled-down" Starline 2400 DD.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm always checking ebay for those old Gorn ships with the engines waaaay back. They DO NOT show up very often and they go for a premium.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took several years, but I finally acquired enough to flesh out my collection to where I wanted it. I think I have either 3 or 4 now, which is plenty.
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test for dj

Can you identify these? Please envision gorn engines on the kitbash with Fed engines. I believe it should have engines like #2. Also, notice the bump on #4 right below the engines. #4 also has circular landing platforms on the wings while # 3 does not.

My guess for #1 and #4 is DD and CL. Not sure about #2 and #3.

Is #1 and #4 from 2300 series and #2 and #3 from 2200 series?

djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your top view photo: L-R
Starline 2400 Gorn DD, Starline 2200 (lead) Gorn DD, Starline 2200 (lead) Gorn CL, Starline 2400 Gorn HDD/CL.

By the way, the giveaway identifying features are (again, L-R):
- small fwd-hull "bubble", straight rear-hull with rounded rear-end, large plasma launcher disks, large shuttle pads on wings = Starline 2400 Gorn DD
- small fwd-hull "bubble", protruding sensor dish, tapered rear-hull with flat rear-end, small wings with "notch" at outside edge and no plasma launchers, small shuttle pads in notch at rear of aft hull = Starline 2200 (lead) Gorn DD
- large fwd-hull "bubble", small wing plasma launcher disks, small shuttle pads in notch at rear of aft hull = Starline 2200 (lead) Gorn CL
- large fwd-hull "bubble", "mound" for 360-degree phaser, large wing plasma launcher disks, large shuttle pads on wings = Starline 2400 Gorn HDD/CL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: