Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISC vs. Tholians

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulgenna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: ISC vs. Tholians Reply with quote

I need a little help in a good tactic to use against the Tholians. My usual method of echelon formation of small to large I do not think will work against a Tholian/Neo-Tholian fleet. I'm thinking I will end up with too many ships stuck in a web.

I expect there to be 1-3 WC's in the opposing fleet. The rest of the fleet will be heavy cruisers. I will have a combination of CC's, CA's and CS's and CL's nothing small unless that is a tactical advantage.

Thanks in advance
paulgenna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Feds and Tholians vs ISC Reply with quote

In our campaign the Federation players has received a couple of Tholian destroyers with webcasters and on the third turn he was able to get the webs blocking my fleet from being able to fire on the Feds at a range of 10 with the ISC PPD's with the webs. I took a serious racking on a CA and was wondering if the tactic of waiting out the web was the right approach.

During the battle I thought of a couple of options and wanted to get some opinions on the best philosophy.

One of the options I could have used was running the ISC ships into the web prior to the Fed ships entering 10 hexes out and then unloading on a couple of them (I had 9 PPDs in my fleet). However, doing this would prevent my Plasma-S's from being able to be launched as a deterrent to rushing in. Since the Feds have a scout in their fleet bolting the S-torps would require a 1 or 2 on the die roll to hit.

Second option was to manuever and see if I could use the web to get out of the Fed FA arc. Since he was doing speed 24 and I was doing 16 I figured he could easily match my moves since he would be moving after me.

Third option, the one I did, was deaccelerate as far back from the webas I could and unload on the Feds when they came through the evaporating web. I unloaded a couple of S-torps at the lead ships trying to time the web evaporating but the Fed player had a second destroyer throw up a Web that got the torps stuck. He then skirted around the end and fired OVL photons at 6-8 range.

Since the Tholians are involved should I just expect a battle of attrition or should I have approached the fight differently? We just abou finished the turn and may have another opportunity to try out another option.
paulgenna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Fleet make-up Reply with quote

Fleet make-up and current status of ships

Feds:

LCC
2 Tholian destroyers
Scout
6 CA's 3 with front shields down and 2 with moderate damage.

ISC
CC No front shields and minor internal damage
5 CA's One CA with 60% damage.
2 CL
1 CS
Scout
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: