Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skiffs in Federation Commander
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Skiffs in Federation Commander Reply with quote

Now that skiffs have been introduced in the FC gaming system (in Communique78), are there any scenarios that can be ported over from SFB that use them?

Their avowed uses are (according to the ship card in Comm78):

"Seeker skiffs are very common civilian craft used for exploration, short-range transport, and trading.

Striker Skiffs, built on the same frame, are used by police and government forces for local security. Rarely, Striker skiffs are in the hands of civilian owners who have government licenses for the weapons."

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty stoked that Skiffs are in the game now. Fills a big hole in the lower end of the civilian ships list.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that skiffs only have the two shields. They now become the exceptions mentioned in the hellbore and PPD rules that hadn't existed before. They do now!

(Of course, this ignores the point that, as such small ships, how they take damage against hellbores and PPDs is fairly irrelevant as they will probably die so fast that the exact mechanics aren't really that relevant.)

As for scenarios, a couple things to try that fit their profile is to see how many it takes to defend a planet from an Orion LR (where the skiffs are the "good guys"), and to see how many it takes to take down a police ship, like a Federation Cutter (where the skiffs are the "bad guys").

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
<snip>...and to see how many it takes to take down a police ship, like a Federation Cutter (where the skiffs are the "bad guys").

Which, like all conflicts, depends on your point of view.

Not that I really believe that for one moment, of course Wink

Looking forward to trying out the mini-ships in C78. Gonna be fun....
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also go with taking a couple of Skiffs and a Armed Freighter or Auxillary Cruiser and try defending a Planet agiants a equal number of points in an Attack Navy Ships. You could even have both sides from the same Empire playing out a Civil War Scenero.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
mjwest wrote:
<snip>...and to see how many it takes to take down a police ship, like a Federation Cutter (where the skiffs are the "bad guys").

Which, like all conflicts, depends on your point of view.

Which is why I put "good guys" and "bad guys" in quotes.

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal has an interesting idea.

The Kzintis are always having internal power struggles. Suppose the worlds in a sector are in revolt and elements of the main fleet are sent to "put them back in line." The rebel fleet might intercept the main elements of the royal fleet, but suppose a separate squadron is split off to hit directly at the planet with supply stockpiles. The planet force could have DefSats, a commercial platform, 3 skiffs, an armed freighter, an auxilliary cruiser, a ground installation, maybe a base station in orbit, perhaps even a frigate. It would be fun to include a squadron of 12 planet based Kzinti fighters (from CL37 use the Federation F-18 fighters as the closest thing to what the Kzinti would have ... 2x Ph-3-FA; 2 drones, can launch 1 per turn; crippled at 7 hits meaning no phaser fire; killed at 10 hits).

If some backwash planet and not a mainline planet, strip off the DefSats and base station and maybe even the ground installation.

The scenario could either be evenly matched, or it could be a "lesson" in what happens when skiffs mix it up with a fleet squadron.

Anyone want to collaborate on developing a scenario like this and see how it does?

=====
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how much calboration you need you wrote up most of what i thought up. The only thing you need to do really is pick a Empire. Lyrans putting down a second attempt at a LDR, Klingons suppressing a mutiny, Kzinti Politics, or Romulan Houses in Fighting. Heck could even do Tholians and Seltorians in the old galaxy. And as always there is never a cop around when a pirate force shows up.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it woud be fun to see what would happen if two unimportant civilian planets (maybe klingon subjugates) wanted to duke it out over an old fued. Something like...

Attacker:
Auxilliary Cruiser
Small Armed Freighter
Prime Trader
2x Armed Cutter

Defender:
Commercial Platform
DefSats
Large Armed Freighter
2x Free Trader
2x Streeker Skiff

I'd have to work out the point values and balance it, but it would be a time limit thing where the attacker has to destroy the commercial platfor and leave before the local authourities showed up.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the current interest in the Hatfield/McCoy feud, I'd say you just generated the seed for a good scenario. You'd best write it up and submit it before somebody else does Smile
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please do frame it up.

But please put it in the Federation, not the Klingon empire. Quite frankly, I see it as something that is more likely to happen in the Federation than in the Klingon empire.

I hadn't even thought of the Hatfield and McCoy angle. If you want, go full-bore on that. Give a little background on the conflict. Put them in a sparsely populated section of the Federation. Note that no one actually knows the genesis of the conflict, but explain how it has continually flared up over the last 20 years. Note that this conflict is just one of many, but is typical of the conflicts. Explain the delay in police response to a decoy action the attackers set up.

If you are being ambitious, make this more of a campaign. Give each side a "fleet" of resources they can use, and a set of goals they have to accomplish over a set number of scenarios. That way it can be played multiple times, depending on the strategies used.

Go nuts.

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, more people latched on here than I thought!

And for the record, the Hatfield/McCoy feud didn't even occur to me, but it is kinda ironic considering that this is a Star Trek shoot-off Wink (Or, the other way around. You're choice Shocked )

Okay, I'll get to work on it soon...ish. Passing the Chemistry Final is a bit higher on my list of priorities now Smile
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Okay, I'll get to work on it soon...ish. Passing the Chemistry Final is a bit higher on my list of priorities now Smile

[Dad-Mode voice]As it should be![/Dad-Mode voice]

(My two boys just finished their freshman year in High School, so I have a legitimate claim to a "dad-mode voice".)

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to rub it in my face... Evil or Very Mad ( Wink )
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: New scenario with skiffs Reply with quote

This is the background paragraph for a scenario using skiffs that I submitted to SVC on 6/13/12. It is NOT a Hatfields vs. McCoys scenario, but I love the idea. It could be corny, but the Hatfieds vs. McCoys angle is worth pursuing.

SKIFFS TAKE A PADDLIN

SCENARIO BACKGROUND
During the early part of the War of the Devastated Zones in 2564, Alliance and Coalition fleets fought battles back and forth over thousands of parsecs of space. In one particular instance a Klingon fleet surged forward deep into Alliance territory, but a Federation fleet was able to intercept and stop its advance. The Deep Space Fleet admiral commanding the Klingon fleet quickly surmised that the Star Fleet ships must be supported by an improvised supply base close by. Thinking the destruction of the supply base would lead to the collapse of Star Fleet resistance in the sector, he called up a squadron from the reserve to seek and destroy the supply base. They did, indeed, find the improvised supply base.

Guess what kind of ships are "defending" the supply base?

=====
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: