Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battlestations and PD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Battlestations and PD Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Those of you who are familiar with Battlestations, I have this question - what would you have to say about the compatibility of Battlestations with PD - in its various system incarnations. Can Battlestations be readily used as the boarding / in-ship combat scenario solution for PD campaigns ?

Thanks !

Gary
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having even heard of Battlestations until ADB announced a SFU version, I wouldn't know how it plays. That being said, the game looks to be a very good dual purpouse pack for PD games with some possible tweaks here and there.

If a square on the Battlestations board is roughly equal to 5 feet/2 meters, it'll fit it very nicely with either version of PD20 and the upcoming Savage Worlds version. With GURPS, which uses hexes that equal 3'/1Meter, a minor amount of tweaking needs to be done. Mainly, if a weapon's range is given in GURPS hexes, (they usually aren't, btw), you just halve the number of hexes (droping fractions) to get the equivalant number of squares. Now if a Battlesation Square equals roughly 3'/1M, then conversioin from GURPS becomes the easier one and D20 just need some minor tweaking.

Also, Movement in GURPS is based on hexes, the average being 5 hexes a turn, so the average PC can move 15 feet in a turn, which is 1 second as opposed to 6 minutes in D20. The last part is only system specific, so it doesn't bear much on the topic, but is worth noting. Smile

So, depending on what the size of a square is in Battle Stations will define how easy it's be to port over. Basicly, it's range from easy with a bit of math involved to Drag and Drop your game right on to the board.

My 50 cents.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlestations is really kind of three games in one. A space combat game, a run around inside the ship and shoot game, and an RPG. You could replace their RPG and run-around system with GURPS or d20 or SW and it would work out nicely.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the first edition of Battlestations. The "gameboard" is a series of tiles called "modules." Each module is section of starship: bridge, engineering, teleporter, etc. You arrange the modules to form spaceships in accordance with rules.

I played the game once, about 4 years ago at Kublacon. The setting for Battlestations is a take off on Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica. At the last few cons I attended there was at least one BSG variant offered.
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gurps_gm: does the rulebook say how big a square is on the board?
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys ! Once SFU Battlestations comes out, I'd like to explore "moduling" whole major vessels, such as a Fed CA/CC, Klink D-7, etc. In fact, my dream PD / SFU Battlestations scenario is a boarding battle between a CA and D-7, something like the climatic battle between the HMS Surprise and the French Vessel Acheron in the movie "Master and Commander." Maybe something to pursue for a future convention ?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot really build a Fed CA with battlestations modules. Battlestations only really works on a single deck ship (a CA has, I forget, 20 or 30 decks?) and each module is basically one 'room' so while a gunboat is about 3x6 modules, the enterprise would be 200x1000 modules (with two dozen such layouts side by side, for the various decks).
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it'd make for interesting H&R raid games.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not the whole CA, at least the bridge and the immediate decks !
dreamingbadger
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think building a CA in Battlestations would turn BS into the equiv of F&E!
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamingbadger wrote:
I think building a CA in Battlestations would turn BS into the equiv of F&E!

Um, that's a good thing, right ? Confused
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see us selling sets of 450 crewman minis.
dreamingbadger
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domingojs23 wrote:
Um, that's a good thing, right ? Confused

sure if your definition of "tactical" fun extends to spending several days playing out a few seconds of activity ... think of it like this... resolve every F&E combat with SFB or FC...

As a project for a big club with unlimited resources I can see it working, assuming you can get over the 2d vs 3d problem, which SFB, FC and F&E get over by having the scale big enough to ignore the Z-axis for practical purposes.

it just feels that BS is meant for a different "scale" and trying to move it to 'this' scale will cause things to break or at least take a very long time.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeper wrote:
@gurps_gm: does the rulebook say how big a square is on the board?
@Sweeper:There is an example in the book. However, I measured a module which was around 3 and 1/2 inches on a side. Each module has a maximum of 25 squares; some covered in equipment -- which means impassable. I think each square is roughly a 1/4 inch across.

Normal 25-28mm figs are too big. Gorilla games, has a line of figs I believe.
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gurps_GM: What I meant was, what is the scale of the map board? does 1 square on the Map Tile equal 5'? or something else.

@Steve Cole: A guy a Twilight Creations Inc. (Makers of the fine Zombies!!! game line) was once joking that their best selling products were the "Bag o' '
packs where $10 get's you; 100 zombies, 100 female zombies, zombie dogs, skeletons, or glow in the dark(super) versions of any of them. A lot of folks, myself included, buy them for extra minis for other games. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: