Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hex bases for Starline 2500 minis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlee33
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: hex bases for Starline 2500 minis? Reply with quote

Anyone replace the bases on the Starline 2500 line with hexes so that you can use them on a hex map for Federation Commander? I saw on the Litko.com site that they had 1" hex stands but I wasn't sure if they'd work with the larger ships.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Ninja Magic magnetic adapters from Rattlehead Games.

With one post on the mini and the other on a combination of Mongoose round and ADB hex bases, I can swap out at will.

The resin 2500s sit on the ADB stands quite nicely. When they convert to metal, they will need to have the hex bases weighted.
Zamboni
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja Magic also has a heavy metal stand that takes a 1" label plus has degree marks around the edges. I have a set on order, but it looks like it may be able to pull double duty for both games by including both sets of firing arcs.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Litko has stuff as well:

http://www.litko.net/categories/Miniature-Bases-%26-Bottoms/Hexagons/
http://www.litko.net/categories/Flight-Stands/
Eric Lakin
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like corsec engineering's hex bases. Below are 1.25" and 2" IIRC.:

(posted these on mongoose's board originally)
Marauder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just also purchased some corseg bases myself. Since I'm only planning on using these for ACTA I selected the square bases with fire arc markings on them.

If I ever do decide to get back into SFB (or try FC) with these minis I can always order the hex bases.

-Tim
tlee33
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: corsec hexes Reply with quote

I like the corsec hex bases...I was wondering though, do you think I could just buy the hex bases and then glue the Mongoose pegs into the base? Or is the hole in the base too big/small? This way I can interchange my starships with ball/socket into the mongoose base or switch it to the hex base.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hear about the guy who wanted to make his stands as authentic as possible, so he used magnets in order to put any ship on them he wanted.

During his first game using the new stands, he was using a Gorn battle cruiser against a Romulan opponent. The Romulan player's ship got within a couple of inches of the Gorn ship and suddenly was pulled straight to it. The Romulan player exclaimed, "What gives?!"

The Gorn player looked up and said with a sly grin, "Neodymium magnets...the Gorn Anchor."

Wink

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
tlee33
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, funny Smile I can picture that happening Smile
Marauder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also using the corseceng omni stand system. I much prefer it to the ones they are packaged with. I have the square bases with firing arcs to use with ACTA and the hex bases to use with Klingon Armada.

-Tim
tlee33
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: mount height Reply with quote

I noticed that the mounts are different heights. did you drill larger holes to insert them and some you didn't? Or can you purchase shorter mounts to just glue on?
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just now finishing my first 2500 miniatures and I am concerned with the optimal stand options.

The stands that come with the ships I am conerned about. The ball and socket seems prone to breakage and each base seems to have a uniform crack in it from the center. And one good fall seems to break off my Klingon engines. I looked at some of the links above and they were a little confusing to me and I was not sure if they work seamlessly or need to be adapted

I was thinking of ordering a bunch of 2400 stands (with the metal columns) and superglueing them to the 2500 ships, exactly as I do for my 2400 miniatures now.

Now that some time has gone by is there a better option for stands than my 2400 stand plan that anyone knows of?

Or are the stock 2500 stands fine and I am being overly paranoid?
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the core sec stand system it works real well. You either drill our the hole on the mongoose base or like i did i ordered a arc tool base from silver compass drilled out the center for the core sec bottom connector.
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I watched the demo on the core sec engineering website, quite impressive. I will be ordering some to try out and perhaps a mat too.
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to caution you all to gently screw the posts onto Corsec bases. I managed to crack one - I have just gotten them and didn't realize they were so fragile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: