Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Webcasters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Webcasters Reply with quote

Recently, I played a single ship duel between a Romulan KRC and a Neo Tholian heavy cruiser. The Neo cruiser got pretty badly shot up. In the post mortem, my opponent and I discussed other things that we might both have done differently. During the game, he used his webcaster as an offensive weapon, throwing web fists to damage my ship. Question: In a matchup such as this, would it be better to use a web fist or to throw strands of web in the path of the Romulan ship to interfere with its movements?

In the initial approach, I came in at speed 24, and didn't bother to cloak. I used two points of battery to put a turn of arming in the plasma S torps and spun them all the way up as quickly as possible. I would have liked to come in under EM, but power limitations did not permit this. The downside of all this was that my impulse 8 volley consisted of one phaser 1. THere wasn't enough power to charge up the plasmas, come in at speed, hold two points of power back to get my batteries back up for turn 2, and still deliver much of a volley. Something had to give. I decided to focus on setting the table for turn 2.

Any thoughts on the use of the webcaster? I found that the fear of it dictated a lot of my actions. I came in fast out of fear of getting snarled up in web, and to minimize his firing opportunities if he threw web fists.
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that cast web is more powerful than the web fist. It takes some practice, but you can devastate the enemey with them. I jjust player a game last night, 2 Thol PCs and a NCA against 2 Klingon D5Ws. I managed to wreck one of the D5Ws before I took any internal damage. I never fired a web fist or a disruptor. Phasers only. The Tholians only took shield damage from long range pot-shots by the Klinks.

The point of cast web is to get in at least 1 (hopefully more) unanswered strike before the enemy manages to cause any dmage to you.

Try this. Assuming you are approaching the enemy head on. Lay web directly in front of the enemy when you are 15-20 hexes apart. Place 5 hexes of web a number of hexes in front of the enemy equal to the max speed it can travel in an impulse. This will force it to go left or right or through the web. If he goes left or right, then place another web in front of the enemy and you will have maneuvered the enemy into turning away from you. If the enemy goes through the web, stay outside range, but place another web between you and the enemy and stay outside range 8 until it solidifies. Then you can get closer, fire phasers and the enemy will not get a shot off.

When fighting the Tholians, move FAST. 24 always always always.

Tholinas cast web takes proactice and I recommend sitting down with a map and some counters and practice web placement to learn the effects.

There are more possibilites with the webcaster, but that should get you started.

- Pat

Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Doyle wrote:

Quote:
Try this. Assuming you are approaching the enemy head on. Lay web directly in front of the enemy when you are 15-20 hexes apart. Place 5 hexes of web a number of hexes in front of the enemy equal to the max speed it can travel in an impulse. This will force it to go left or right or through the web. If he goes left or right, then place another web in front of the enemy and you will have maneuvered the enemy into turning away from you. If the enemy goes through the web, stay outside range, but place another web between you and the enemy and stay outside range 8 until it solidifies. Then you can get closer, fire phasers and the enemy will not get a shot off.

This makes a good deal of sense, I think. I certainly agree that against Tholians, speed is vital, in part because some of their ships are pretty tough, and you need to get close to do decisive damage. In the game we played, the Neos fired on impulse 7 of turn 1, and then turned away. I bought some acceleration on impulse 1 of turn 2, and ended up centerlined dead astern of them at range 5. I bolted everything, and hit with 2 S torps and an F. With phasers added, that came to 19 internals, plus whatever the transporter raids did.

The point here is that the Neos needed to maintain some distance in order to deny the Romulans their best plasma shot, and with cast web, they might have done that while still keeping their front arc to the enemy. (The Neo's heavy weapons were all pretty much front arc only)

Note that I made an error when I bolted my plasma. I should have fired two D torps as seekers after bolting the other plasma torps. They could have been run out easily, but they would have given the Neos a disincentive to HET back into me, which is what they did. That was a mistake, but one I thankfully got away with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: