Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our 4 player campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, don't forget the loss of the Intruder...

This has been a great fight - my biggest battle by far. The asteriods give the Andros several advantages and the Gorns none. It has been hard going for the Gorns, with the Andros being able to dictate the pace of the battle. Not sure if i have really learnt how to fight the Andros in asteroids... maybe just avoid them Smile

My only solace is that in campaign terms I can afford replacements easier than the Andro..
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, how did I forget the Intruder!

It has been a great battle so far, very tough on me as well, whilst there is no questions the asteroids provide a huge boost to me, and a problem to the Gorns, it was still hard approaching them given how large their fleet was.

No question I'd have have been utterly hammered in open space. The DOM would have run out of power many turns ago. I think he has rammed asteroids just about every turn so far, and followed with a panel dump. The last turn we played I rammed asteroids twice, as the first one 'only' gave me 20 damage which was no where near enough.

I'm not sure I've done enough strategicaly, but then again the Gorsn should have won this campaign turn but they were to pessimistic about their chances of beating the Fed Starbase.
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know us Gorns - its not all about winning Smile
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumble in the Rubble 3 (The dithering);

Tonight saw the final part of the big battle. A humourous affair with plenty of comments about people (well lizards mainly) not making their minds up about what to do. "I don't need to make my mind up yet, I'll just keep going ahead" will probably be the quote oft repeated by historians. Although "it looks different from this side of the board" will probably be another one to crop up again.

The penultimate turn of the battle saw the Gorns send their damaged but almost crippled BC away from their main fleet, in order to distract the Andros. Seeing that I could have a good go at that with the DOM, and then displace back for a turn 10 attack I sent the DOM after it. I was only going to get one strike, turn 9 or 10, so it wasn't much of a distraction. Unfortunately the big Andro couldn't quite finish it with phasers alone (I wanted to keep the TRHs for an attack on something else next turn), and the BC limped away seriously crippled.

Turn 10 saw the Gorns starting with all sorts of bravado about how he was going to turn on the the Andros and have a go at taking out the other vipers, or maybe the DOM. But after further dithering he went EM and split up. The andro got in a couple of displacements on the Gorns as they went EM, but that barely moved them, so it had little effect.

I closed on his DNL and BB, triggering his Orion mercenary to risk a HET and turn for some close range phasers, but after realising that even at point blank range he was struggling to actully hurt the DOM all he did was tickle the rear of a viper.

The final impulse saw the DNL being chased by 4 vipers and a DOM dive into some asteroids where its EM gave a +3 which was just enough to avoid being crippled.

Losses at game end:
1 BCH dead, 1 BC dead, 1 BC crippled, 1 damaged Scout 1 crippled BCH, 2 damaged CFs and a damaged DNL for the Gorn.

1 Int and 8 vipers dead for the Andro.

A good game overall. The Gorn were on the defensive most of the game, largely due to simple manouvering issues in terrain that heavily suited the Andros. They were however simply to big to take on without significant casualties, their phaser arcs largely making it moot which way they were facing.

By dithering over their push on the Fed base they have been dented by the Andros and given the Feds a chance to reinforce so they have probably lost their best chance of a campaign win. On the otther hand they do still have a fairly fearsome force that can take out a starbase. The Feds have still got their work cut out to defend themselves, but they are looking a lot better than they did a turn ago.

To late to check grammar and spelling, sort that out tomorrow and put up a map update on how the next campaign turn has progressed.

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An intense battle, outcome could have been a lot tougher on me (Gorns) if Lee had conjured up a couple of good displacement rolls - the devices just wouldn't play ball. Best outcome from the battle is I now have my own catchphrases, my favourite being, 'I don't need to make my mind up yet, I will just keep going ahead.'

My inexperience probably showed by not attacking the Federation last turn - I will try and learn from my mistakes... I don't think I have enough left to take out the Fed starbase but I should soften it up a little for the Andros...
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to make my move, probably too late but I've been tided down by the Andro threat and not been able to establish a good economic base.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Conference called, Gorns the dominant empire.

Last night saw the Gorn assault on the Fed Home world. Better late than never.

The Gorns came with:

BB
BCH (crippled)
DNL (damaged)
DNL (damaged)
BC
CF (damaged)
CF (damaged)
CL
HDD
SC (damaged)

The Feds had:

Star base
DefSats around planet
BC
NCA
NCL
NCD
Monitor
FFB * 3
Scout

We were testing a seeker rule to try and streamline drone useage. Drones are not moved during normal subpulses, but just after subpulse 4 they move their entire move in one go.

The Gorn commander, Admiral Trotsky, was showing his usual pessimism. Whilst his adviser Cpt Storey was in confident mood.

The Gorns start slow whilst arming plasma and kept beyond range of the base, skirting the range 25 line. The first major decision was whether to head at the base using the planet as a shield, or to move around and come at it away from the planet and avoid the DefSats. The Gorns moved to sweep around and come at an angle away from the planet. DefSats have proved brutal in a few games previously.

The Feds came out to some extent, as they were preparing to prevent the Gorns getting a range 12-16 launch if that is what they tried to do. Lots of drones were launched, the first volley at the crippled BCH who was so low on power there was no chance he could outrun them (The BCH took no real part in the attack, barely moving from where he started). The 2nd drone volley at the BB. At the end of the turn the Fed commander dsplayed a lack of focus and discipline, getting his BC to range 8 of the BCH and firing his photons. Given the slow moving, crippled BCH was little threat, but the photons held back to next turn woud have been, this was a mistake. The BC then found itself somewhat out the game, and chased the gorn scout around to a not huge effect.

Turn 2 was the major turn of the game. The Gorns increased to speed 24, and went EM. They moved a bit further along the the range 26 line to the base and then turned in. The Feds who had been going slower, speed 16 mainly, were now some what out of position to intercept a fast moving Gorn charge as they then turned in. The main issue for the Gorn was dodging lots of drones whilst under EM.

Speed 24 and accels carried the Gorns past the drones, and past the Fed ships mainly. About half way through the charge the FFBs got a range 2 shot in against the CL and HDD, but having not really learnt lessons from previous battles, tried to split fire in order to beat out the scout. This meant that they didn't do much. The Gorns continued forward, originally lookng for a range 12 launch, but now looking for a range 8 launch - the extra range category woudl add a potential 162 plasma strength on impact, and was probably worth the risk of going closer to the bases guns, given that the Fed fleet had been caught out and was now more or less chasing the gorns.

With lots of drones following the still EM BB, and a wave of 6 coming from directly ahead (launched by SB) the Gorns had to adjust their attack run slightly, ramming the 6 drones on the BB number 6 shield (which would be of no consequence later on), that gave the BB 20 internals, but of no great concern for the lumbering behemoth.

On impulse 8 the Gorns dropped EM and carried on forward. Fed fire was heavily influenced by the fact that plasma can launch even when destroyed, so there was no point firing anything less than woud kill something, and that the Gorn scout was still capable of covering 1 target. Their remaining fire took out a DNL and the CL. Then the plasma was launched, there was still around 20 plasmas, with an expected combined strength of ~600 damage. The Gorns also managed to rake up some phaser fire wit what little power they had left, which just about took out the facing SB shield. This woud not be the one hit by the plasma, as the base would rotate just prior to impact. It would, though, mean that any further fire on impulse 1 next turn would be against the now weakened shield.

Turn 3 saw the Gorns prepare for a carrnode and phaser run on the SB, following in the plasma. There was no question that the SB would survive the plasma alone, with 16 scout channels between the base and scout ship, and lots of phasers from the ships prior to impact plus the bases defensive fire, the plasma woud be noticebly reduced.

Impulse 1 saw the Feds as expected speed up their ships to try and catch the plasma and reduce it, whilst they launched more drones. Then the plasma impacted as the Gorns arrived at range 0 and 1. The Gorn BB again just rammed the 6 drones coming at it, allowing 5 to hit the front shield, whilst tractoring the last, taking a burnthrough.

The plasma had been reduced to about 470 damage prior to impact, sensors, defensive fire, shields and armor reduced that to about 130 internals (on something with over 500). Admiral Trotsky was still at this point in doom and gloom mode, whilst his advisor was preparing for the celebrations. The massed firepower of the remaining Gorns poured about 400 damage into the downed shield, vaporising it.

With the Fed base down and out the Gorns win the campaign.

A good game. The drone rules worked well, the game felt faster, and certainly flowed better not having to move each drone each subpulse 1 hex checking where it can go etc, and then do it again and again.
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The campaign ended and rather to my surprise the Gorns pulled off a victory and took down the Flathead's starbase. I don't think they group will let me get away with that again!

A public thank you to the other players in the campaign for making me so welcome. Storeylf for running the campaign, Targ for hosting the games and Captain Jack for some memorable battles (and of course for letting me blow up his starbase Smile )

As a relatively newbie to FC it is interesting to read back over the campaign and see how my play has improved, from the first disastrous clash with the Federation in an asteroid field, to holding my own against the Andros (also in an asteroid field), to the final battle where my plan played out about as well as it could.

The highlights of the campaign for me were:
* chasing the Federation battle frigate 'Annoying' all over internal Gorn space before finally cornering it. It took a lot of my attention and resources to deal with that - I won't let one of those slip past me again.
* Fighting the Andros in asteroids - still have no idea how to do that - my advice is to just try and avoid it.

I think my fellow players have now noted my playing style: lots of dithering, plenty of pessimism and the occasional burst of unexpected decisiveness. Despite Storeylf's bravado in his post above there was one point during the final battle where he went from, 'You will do this,' to, 'You should be OK.' A comment noted by the defending and ever optimistic Federation commander Very Happy

My only regret in the campaign is that I didn't face the LDR in battle - not sure my plasmas would have enjoyed playing with the gatlings but it would have been fun to try.

Finally a few thoughts about how the Gorn ships performed in the campaign. The power curve and firing arcs made the ships generally easy to fly. Storeylf made a comment during a battle regarding his displacement armed Andros and that regardless of where the Gorn ships end up after displacement they can still put down a fair bit of fire.

The standard BC made up the bulk of my fleet and performed its job well matching equally pointed ships from the other races. The heavy Gorn Scout, based on the CL hull, was very effective particularly against the photon armed Federation. The difference between the two battles we fought in asteroids, one in which I had a scout and the other in which I did not was very noticeable.

The standard Gorn CL also performed well despite being somewhat of a glass cannon - its initial firepower was most beneficial in several battles. It drew a fair bit if fire but I would be happy to fly them again.

The DNL served me well, although they lack some firepower their shielding and ample power reserves meant they just kept going - they were great for plowing through asteroids.

The ship that surprised me the most was the Fast BC, I built a couple because I needed to get somewhere fast, but they performed very well in battle. Despite its lack of a full complement of plasmas the extra phaser-1 were very useful in every battle it fought in. They always had enough power to undertake every mission they were called upon. They are a bit expensive but a very useful and powerful ship - I will consider using them again in the future.

Finally, the BB was of course just awesome. I don't generally like the really big ships, being an old SFBer I still think the Klingon B-10 should be the biggest thing out there. The firepower the BB put out was incredible, in the final run on the Federation Starbase it must of been responsible for over 200 points of damage just on its own.

Now to think about the race to take in the next campaign...
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I had predicted. I forsaw the doom of the starbase much earlier than the bickering Andro and LDR. Rolling Eyes

Good campaign. I really suffered when the gorn player took a scout. Even my Legendary gunnery, couldn't surmount this.

Well done to the Gorn, a big rasberry to the Andros and LDR! Shocked

P.s Captain Jack bravely ran away (in a Tug Rolling Eyes ), taking a leaf out of the andro and Ldr book! The ISC have decided to hire him and his crew (must of heard of his elite RA ph3 gunners! Might even work on those rear firing plasma Shocked )

p.s also has a large share in a shuttle building company!
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion has started on the next campaign, using a similar set of rules as this campaign as modified based on a review of how things went.

It might even be a 6 player campaign! if the other 2 can commit to it.

Possibly an almost historical setup of the 'western' empires- Hydran, lyran, klingon, Kzinti, Fed and then ISC.

Currently we are talking about having 3 teams of 2, Klink + Lyran., Hydran + Kzinti, and Fed + ISC. Teams will help with not having people sat out so much when battles are fought. It should also make the strategic situation interesting.
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we on for tomorrow? (3.5.13).

Dave
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know we begin our conquest of the known galaxy tomorrow.
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok see you there...
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - my probability of getting transport for tonight has reached zero! Will have to let Lee take control of my forced tonight - my units will begin good hands...
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: No show Reply with quote

Just Say you are scared of my ISC fleet! Laughing None of this shilly/shallying around, about lack of a lift Rolling Eyes Exclamation

p.s also has a large share in a shuttle building company!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: