Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our 4 player campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
Don't be too hasty, I reckon you can pump out seven police cutters each turn!

Groan, you know that means 7 suicide shuttles a turn as well Wink
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm! Very Happy

7 suicide shuttles a turn, that would just be silly. Shocked

I can think of no opponent who would do such a thing!

Not really thought about 6 a turn though Cool .

p.s also has a large share in a shuttle building company!
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shout out 4 xmass with 10 boar
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 boar? I need Uhura.

Sorry I couldn't make tonight, was to ill. Hope someone picked up my mail before hand. Spent the evening watching the last Trek film to make up Smile
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current odds on who win this campaign

Andros odds on Fave

Gorn 2/5

LDR 1/3

Fed 1/10

Enough said! Even JoHn Mckirick can't big up the Feds chances here! Shocked

p.s I think the NO show by the Andros, must be because they FEAR me building a tug or Monitor! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you factor in the Gorn's newbie commander then their odds are lengthened. Andro's look like they are going to be in a position to launch the first Starbase assault - they have definitely the shortest odds. Now if we could just convince the Federation commander to to try something radical like defend his homeworld, the rest of us might be in with a chance...
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Feds can still stop more or less anyone getting at them, they just need to stop goofing around (e.g. building the sats on a planet they can't hold, rather than on their home base or a better ship). They can put a 1000pt fleet in the dust cloud which would match me, or put it in their home world and let anyone come at them (who's going to want to try that attack first when someone else is in the wings for a follow up). They could attack the Gorns, getting in the way of them doing much.

The Fed position is quite playable. Not unsurprisingly he is on the defensive (thats what happens when you build non-warships early on and spread out too much), but far from dead except in his own mind.
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop goofing around. Shocked I do, what I do best! Goofing around is my preferred game mode! (Surely, you must hv worked that one out, by now)

I say to the Gorn and LDR, listen not to the insidious Andro.

The Feds are trying to save us all. BUT need help! Sad

As for me speading out to early, I misunderstood the new supply rules.

Which means I would hv played differently, if I had understood them earlier.

Further more if, I pull back then it is only a matter of time, before defeat. Crying or Very sad

By not defending my base, I leave victory or defeat in the hands of LDR or Gorns. This has been clearly signposted Exclamation

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Cap'n Jack always right?
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes: sniger
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xmas and illness has slowed down the actual campaign turns. But we have played a training game Smile

Holodeck tactical training:

Following a request from Federation Admiral Jack (probably Rear admiral in view of his noted qualties as someone leading from the rear) a holodeck simulation was created to help train the Federation crews in fighting Andros. First scenario was within a dust cloud, a campaign battle that may happen very soon. An Andro squadron of 1 intruder and 4 vipers engaged 1 DNL, 1 NCA and 1 FFB.

Given the entire map was dust (as opposed to just certain hexes) the andros advanced slowly, speed 8 under EM. The Federation ships at speed 0 (the frigate in reverse). The Intruder dropped a couple of hexes back from the vipers. This happened for a couple of turns, whilst the Federation launched suicide shuttles. As the Vipers closed to range 3 they dropped EM and opened up on the NCA, whilst the NCA and NCL opened up on 2 vipers. between the +1 shift for the asteroids and bad rolling the Fed cruiser escaped without being too badly damaged, though it had lost its front shield and a good few phasers. The 2 vipers also got lucky when the Feds fired, but whilst they both survived they were gutted, losing all 8 phasers between them and 1 of the TR beams.

The 2 damaged vipers peeled off, whilst the 2 others and the Intruder closed on the now photonless Fed cruiser and DNL. The chase felt quite odd, the pursuer chugging along at speed 8 and the pursued at speed 0+ (reverse). The 2 good vipers phasered down another NCA shield. At one point it appeared that the Fed NCA going to be gutted as the Andro cruiser centerlines it at range 0, but as it was EM and the DNL was just beyond the Andro left it and struck out at the DNL. The DNL went EM just as the Intruder arrived at range 1 and fired, that took down the front shields, and did some reasonable internals.

The Federation DNLs photons came back on line and they proceeded to attack the andros again. The andros had missed that the NCA had not started rearming photons stright away in the earlier turn, as it was not expecting to survive. The Federation ships closed on and destryoed 2 of the vipers, 1 of the previously damaged ones and a good one. In closing the Federation commander speeding up to speed 8 for the first time discoverd how hard it is to move through dust at any speed when front shields are down, between accels and battery power he had surprisigly little power left by the time he came to fire. The DNL was again hit by the Intruders 8 phasers through a side shield, and a TRL through the already damaged front shield. The Intruder then tractored the DNL.

Whilst the Int had taken some damage from dust, some drones and a bit of fire, it had a much larger front 'shield' than the DNL, which now faced being dragged at speed through the dust by the Intruder, which was also about to bring up TRHs again. The Federation commnder ended the Holodeck simulation at that point, recognising his defeat.

Notes. This was a really interesting game. No one went higher than base speed 8, the Fed spending most of the game at speed 0 (in reverse). Shooting beyond range 4 was largely ineffective due to the +2 shift from asteroids, making it a close range but very slow moving fight. A good number of shuttles were launched, which whilst not hitting were forcing ships to keep moving and take further dust damage. Drones, whilst only lasting 4 moves before being shredded, were freakishly nasty as they were speed 24 and impossible to evade (and +1 on defensive fire just to be extra annoying as well).

From the andro perspective it went well and more or less as I planned, the vipers pack a good punch making them something that has to be dealt with, and hence a good screen for the Intruder, though I was somewhat caught out by how badly they lost all their phasers to relatively few internals. The overall Andro strategy being to wear down the enemy with vipers and have a more or less intact Intruder left to take on damaged enemy ships at the end is what happened. The Federation were reasonably impressed with their ability to take on andros in dust, helped by the fact that is was hard to actually shed any damage due to the amount of dust damage also coming in. He was mainly interested in taking out the vipers, presumably going on the basis that the Andros need their Vipers to carry on any offensive.

The primary thing I need to consider as the andro is how much battery to start with. Being used to being short of power I just started full of power in the batteries without thinking, but at these low speeds that isn't needed.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played another turn. map below is start of turn 12 after the turn just played.

# damged
## crippled
* degraded

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turn just played:

Gorns: They skirted around the Fed planet, apparently afraid of fighting. They are now, however, getting close to the Fed home, and their economy is now vastly superior to anyone elses. They have built more fast ships, as they are not keen on the time to get from the home base to the front line.

Fed: Quickly built a scout, degraded, to throw into the possible Andro battle. They looked like they were going to put a large fleet in the dust cloud, but the Andros threatening that area shifted to raiding, so the Feds were less concerned. They did move a ship into the Andro area which captured it when it was left vacant.

LDR: Advanced on the Andro. They didn't build anything, suppsedly saving for a BB to lead a large fleet.

Andro: The main threat in most peoples eyes. After considering a large battle in the dust cloud they rejected that, the Feds could match the Andro but with a scout as well, which with the modifiers inherent in the dust cloud would have been a bit difficult. Instead they displaced to region 1 whilst also attacking into that area from region 2. The plan being to have a large fleet next to the LDR home world, with hopefully the large LDR fleet being unable to get the in the way. However, as the LDR attacked into region 2 from 1 there was a roll off to see which fleet advanced, and the LDR won. That left the battle taking place in region 2 and the main Andro force as simple raiders unable to actually take control of region 1. The Andro retreated in front of the LDR. On the other side the Andro made an attempt to take the planet back the Feds had taken. That failed and the Andros retreated after a fight, both ships damaged.

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAR battle for region 8:

Fed POL, Scout, FFB and DefSats around a planet

Andro attacking with a Conq + Cob.

As the attacker this was always going to be somewhat difficult, as there is a 10 turn limit to win or retreat. The Feds were clearly going to play for that limit and hang around the DefSats. The Feds took Phaser 2s on the defsats, which was a good choice, given the andros have phaser 2s as well. However, I thought we had a decent chance, despite being outpointed, we had the benefit of regeneration on our panels against a force which lacked much mobile weaponary.

Turn 1: The Andro advanced fast, the Feds made no great effort to engage, moving around the planet to keep away. The shooting at the end of the turn set the tone for the game, all the DefSats were range 4-8 and split between front and back panels, but they did significantly above average damage to the cobra. That left the cobra somewhat wary of advancing the following turn.

Turn 2: The Feds continued to skirt around the planet, the Conq displaced in to the Fed stuff just behind the ships, looking to split Sats between front and rear panels. The Scout and Pol immediately HET'd to move behind the Conq, but the Conq was more interested in the FFB (as that was his main warship). The FFB HET'd at the end of the impulse, able to bring 1 OL and 2 standards to to bear on the Conq (whilst I was disrupted and unable to fire), which also had to HET to bring its front panel to the FFB. I had somewhat underestimated how much damage would be inflicted by the Sats, though again excellent rolling by the Feds did not help - the Conq took 20 odd internals, including 3 phasers and 6 power. The Conq then tractored the FFB in order to stop it escaping. Unfortunately I had lost 2 batteries in the Fed attack and after a bit of pondering had lost the 2 batteries with power still in them, rather than empty ones, this would allow me to do a panel dump (after a couple of decels) and get 20 power back, but leave me with no power at that moment. However, it wasn't until afterwards that I noticed the FFb had 0.5 power left - that proved decisive, as I couldn't risk the panel dump opening the way for hit and run on the full panels. Consequently I was unable to fire phasers and gut the FFB. The Conq did drag it out away from the planet and hit it with its remaining TRH on the front.

The Cobra on the other side of the planet had tried to pull around to attack the Pol and Scout (whilst dodging drones) which it did, and managed to put some internals on the POL. This left it a bit to close to the DefSats at the end of the turn, so it went EM at the end of the turn. As did the Conq as it dropped its panels.

Turn 3: The cobra got away, taking some shooting from the DefSats, which again did rather well, re-filling up the back panel again even under Em at range 4+. The cobra then spent the rest of the turn running from the POL and its overloaded photon.

The Conq pulled around once the cleared front panels were up, and attacked back into the Feds, with most of the sats having fired at the Cobra it was able to dive in fairly safely and caught the FFB off guard at range 1 next to the planet, which left the FFB taking yet more of a pounding through its damaged front shield, including 2 rearming photons which the Fed was hoping to overload with all his spare power at turn end. This was impulse 8 again though, and I was now in amongst the Sats. So I had also declared EM and a displacement out. Going with the general trend of the night though, my displacement failed, leaving me next to the Sats.

Turn 4: The Conq tried to get away, with still damaged rear panels, again though the rolling of the Fed Sats was stupendous, doing almost triple the expected damage, and the FFB shooting put more internals to the Conq. By mid way through turn 4 the andros decided to withdraw. They were getting to the point of being far to damaged, having lost to much firepower, and power, plus the panels were to full to have any prospect of succeeding. The Fed couldn't do anything more to the Conq, but his last shot at the EM Cobra to see if he could render it damaged in campaign terms was an overloaded photon needing a 1 to hit. Not surprisingly it hit!

Both Andros are damaged, and the FFB and POL were as well. As the Feds were at the planet they just repaired at turn end.

A very good game. I knew it was a tough match up, but it was fairly even. The Fed rolling was just too hot though (and when I really needed anything but a 6 I got a 6), and i did make a couple of mistakes, If I had chosen differently on the battery loss on the Conq in turn 2 and kept the power to phaser to the FFB I would have been in a much better position. On the other hand I was needing the panel dump, but missing that the FFB had enough power for a possible H&R was bad. One of those games where the last 0.5 power had a huge effect on the outcome - even though it never actually got used!

As the Gorn player noted, this sort of game is what makes campaign good, you'd probably never be fighting this quite interesting battle otherwise, nor would you probably ever see a Fed with that line up, A POL, FFB and Scout.

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle Planet 8 (A.KA Charge of the Andros!)

The Andros were very lucky, to be able to get away with their Alien hides intact.

Ph2s on my "DEATH" sats did sterling work! Extra rum rations all round! Very Happy (only skillfull and brave running away by the Andro commander, saved them from utter defeat)

With a bit of luck on my side, this could have been a legendary Victory! Razz

p.s The Andros have disappeared my Droneship on planet 37! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: