Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our 4 player campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good campaign session. This one changed the dynamic quite a bit. The Andro menace have been temporarily thwarted somewhat by manoeuvres by the LDR which blocked their approach on the LDR homeworld. The Andros were building up a head of steam and the pressure on the rest of us has been somewhat relieved. They are still a significant threat but they are now a few areas away from a homeworld.
There is a major buildup of Andro and LDR forces in adjacent areas and no doubt the next turn of two will see a significant battle, , looks like it might be epic in proportions!

Such a massing of LDR and Andro units on that side of the galaxy is somewhat a relief for the Federation player who will now be able to concentrate on little old me (Gorn).

Despite Storeylf's attempts to goad the Gorns into an unnecessary battle. '. ..apparently afraid of fighting...,' the Gorns are going to stick to their own strategy. The next turn or two is going to see a significant clash between the Gorns and Federation - exactly where this will be depends on the Federation, as Delia Smith would say, 'let's be 'aving yer!'
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headline news: Gorns bloodied in rear guard ambush by Federation.

This turn saw the Gorns finally find the courage to fight. They launched an assault into the asteroids just outside the Federation home area.

The Gorns assault with 2 DNLs, 2 BCFs, 2 BCHs and an HDD.

The Feds rake up a hodge podge force of 1 BC (drone variant), 3 FFBs, 1 scout, 1 POL and 1 Tug.

So a huge advantage to the Gorns, though the Gorn commander was trying to play down that - with excuses of it only being his 3rd or 4th battle of Fed Com. Clearly the thought of taking on the Grandmaster of the rear arc Ph3 was worrying him. The HDD stays in a corner, whilst we use a floating map, the map won't float if that would take a ship off map, so the HDD is basically trying to keep the map a fixed one.

The forces started at range 26, or there abouts, on a map comprised of all asteroid boards. The Feds started facing directly away from the Gorns.

Turn 1: the Gorns advance at speed 16, the Feds run at speed 16, but pull back around to face the Gorns as the turn prgresses. The Feds launch a wave of drones, but with nothing else to worry the gorns this turn they just phaser them all down.

Turn 2: The Ship are not to far apart, probably about 12-15, but with 2 large clusters of asteroids more or less splitting them. Both sides still doing speed 16. The Fed Frigates and Pol split and head up the channel between the clusters directly at the Gorns, whilst the other ships head around a cluster, which will take a while to get anywhere. The Fed frigates and Pol reach range 8 to the Gorn DNLs and open up on its number 2, dropping the shields and doing some reasonable internals. The Gorns do not return fire (or if they did it wasn't of note). A drone wave is launched, which is again handled with no great issue. The frigates/POL then HET and run away, with the Gorn DNLs in pursuit. The other gorn ships move trying to keep their options open as to where they will turn - against the friagtes or the BC/Scout/Tug coming around the asteroids.

The Fed BC gets to range 5 just before rouding the asteroids, and opens fire on a BCH along with the few phasers from the other 2 ships. Other than the BCH being targetted the Gorn ships hold fire again. The BCH takes to its front shield 6 damage, 17 damage and 89 danmage as all overloaded photons hit through the asteroids, plus a good phaser volley from the Fed BC. The BCH is straight to crippled. The Gorn fire isn't effective vs a +2 from asteroids and scout combined.

The Gorns then launch plasma. They don't just launch some plasma, they launch lots of plasma, eveyrthing that isn't an F is launched, either at frigates or the BC. However, inexperience shows itself (even more), it being impulse 6 and with the Fed BC still having a free HET there is no chance of any hits this turn, and next turn they will outrun the Plasma at speed 24.

Still in turn 2 the gorns are thrown into panic as the Fed BC and scout/tug launch another wave of drones at the BCH as they are launching plasma, which in the confines of the asteroids forces the BCH to HET to avoid the hits (it lacking in point defenses by now) but the tug has followed in and gets to tractor range of the BCH. Desperate fire from the BCFs cripples the tug, and the second BCH shoots all available phasers at the drones themselves. There is a moment of worry as the Scout offensively jams the BCH, meaning that non of his shooting has guaranteed drone killing ability, forturately he still takes out all drones. The Tug manages to tractor the crippled BCH and both crash to a halt in a static situation. Out of drones, the Tug dumps an 18 point shuttle into the BCH - with nothing he can do about it so his rear shield takes a hammering. The BCFs and other BCH try to follow the Fed BC and scout around another clump of asteroids, whilst the DNL are still chasing 3 frigates.

By the end of the turn the nimble POL has easily manouvered around a tight channel in the asteroids and has got up close and in front of the BCH, though can only rake up a couple of ph3s for more internals.

Turn 3: The BCH and Tug use up plenty of power in a tractor auction, the BCH knows he can win, but has been reduced to speed 16 in order to be sure of that, and is left with little power after the auction, that little is needed to avoid the asteroids in front of him with decels. The POL and Tug over the turn manage to manouver on to his tail, and blast him again through the rear.

Meanwhile, the BC/SCout have pulled around the asteroids a lot better than the Gorns and moving at speed (to avoid the plasma following) are shortly catching up with the BCH. The BC is not able turn to attack the BCH straight away due to the plasma, but the scout moves in and adds to the damage being piled on the hapless Gorn vessel, a final drone from either the scout or Pol finishes off the BCH at the end of the turn.

The Frigates running from the DNLs are struggling to manouver where they want early in the turn due to the plasma and asteroids. Though the DNLs are just struggling to manouver full stop, and settle for barging through asteroids in the end. By the time the Feds have shaken the plasma off (helped by dragging them through asteroids) they find themsleves trapped in a corner. There is a plenty of 'Umming' and 'ARing' as they decide whether to try and survive a couple of impulses at close range to the DNLs, who have plenty of phasers and power, as their photons will be up at the start of next turn. In the end they disengage off the map, rather than lose a ship for nothing this turn, and then probbaly another ship the turn after. The Gorn DNLs are at least left a good way out of position at this point.

The other 3 Gorn cruisers eventually catch up to the almost stationary tug at the end of the turn. At this point the Feds decide they are just going to withdraw next turn, they can't save the tug, but there is little the gorns can do to the Feds before they get away.

So tbe battle ends.

Gorn lost a BCH and suffered a damaged DNL.
The Feds lost a tug.

A good result for the Feds. The Gorn commander decides he doesn't like asteroids.
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes another fun session. A real learning curve for me, I made lots of mistakes in the game, but each one was a valuable lesson. My conversion from being an old SFB player to FC continues with the timing of the fire phases every four impulses my Achilles heel at the moment.

With the cutting of the last Federation convoy route, their economy is severely reduced. My Gorn economy is booming and I now have a foothold in an area next to the Federation homeworld. A few choices as to what to do next, the LDR and Andros seem to be locked into their own separate races to each others homeworld. The introduction of a strategic movement rule, which makes planets even more useful, is causing me a conundrum. Do I take the Federation planet that is only two areas away from their homeworld and use this as a staging post for a future assault? Or do I push on from my current areas?

I am currently out-producing the Federation by nearly 3/1. This means that I can merrily trade ships and still come out on top. My concern is crippled ships as they continue to cost upkeep. There is no mechanism to decommission ships and so any forward deployed ship that is crippled is an ongoing burden. From my current forward zone it would take such a ship 8 turns to turnaround get repaired and then return, whereas a new ship can be there in 5 or 2 if it is fast. This is why I sacrificed my crippled BCH in the last game, it doesnt make strategic sense for me to keep such a crippled ship in play.

So lots of choices, but things are looking up for the Gorns. My objective in my first ever campaign of FC is not to lose my Starbase - so far my staegic play has been better than my tactical! I just have to improve my battle tactics Smile
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a excellent Tactical victory for me! But I should have stayed and fought for the strategic victory! Holding on to the asteriods was important for 3 reasons

1 Guarding my base.
2 Convey routes
3 I pefer to fight in astroids/dust clouds than in the open and think I have an advantage over the less nimble Gorn! Shocked

As the Gorn payer says he can afford a destroyed BCH and damaged DNL to my destroyed tug. Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes

p.s I believe it was a suicide shuttle that finished off the BCH Rolling Eyes

p.s also has a large share in a shuttle building company!
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Jack a splendid victory! I agree I will have to improve my ratio of damage taken to damage caused Embarassed
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, just a heads up that the weather forecast looks pretty grim for Friday - I will keep an eye on it but if on Friday afternoon it is as bad as they say it will be then it is unlikely I will be able to make it this week.
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Frenchie and I agreed that we both get a free move. Seen as Dave and Lee are a no show Laughing Shocked Wink

Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? Confused
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All raiding forces, need to go to sector 11. Shocked

Otherwise defeat by the Gorn is only a turn or two away.

LDR and Andros have been warned. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

p.s I won't even mention the Dreaded cough of Lee, aka THE COUGH of DOOM!!?

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad weather has got in the way of making much progress the last couple of weeks. We have moved on another turn, but a battle between Feds and Gorns is still in progress (the Gorns looking like they have taken a few more lessons on board, and there is no terrain).

That, however, is probably just a side show now. More notable is the that Andros have now advanced to just outside the LDR home base. There are some LDR forces ready to defend, and the LDR may be about to build a BB to rush out (degraded) in a bid to stop the almost inevitable assault by the Andros on the Home base. The Andros have a Dominator, Intruder, 10 Vipers and an Eel ready to attack with. The LDR a starbase (lose that and campaign over) around a planet, Defsats, NCC, CA, CF, CL, CL, CL, FF and a possible DNL that can get back, plus whatever trainee ships they rush out.

So about 1400 points of Andro vs over 2000 pts of LDR (and that is just the card cost without our house rule LDR adjustment), but the Andro do only need to kill the SB even if they get whopped doing it.
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorns won their battle against the flatheads and so regained the honour they lost in the previous asteroid fight, beginning to get the hang of the game and the Gorn ships.

The galaxy will hold its breath next turn as we should see the first starbase assault, Andros taking on the LDR. Looks like an all or nothing attack by the Andros to take down the starbase. I am sure they have lots of sneaky displacement tactics to get them into range but I think the LDR will too strong. The problem with the Andros is that they need to get pretty close to get the job done, 3 hexes being optimal. A 2 hex range the LDR deals death like it is going out of fashion, I dont think the Andros will have the freedom of movement to keep out of that range long enough to take the starbase down, we will see. I am rooting for the LDR (need more turns to get my assault on the Feds in place).

I will spend the next week composing some suitable Andro taunts to try and put Lee of his game.

Something along these lines, 'Don't worry self-displacement always works,' and, 'Phaser twos at range 4 are fine,' and the ever popular, 'the only way to deal with ESGs is to ram them, they never expect that!'
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, last week was a disaster for the Feds (even my slightly above average firing could not save me). Embarassed Sad

The only chink of light of is when fighting Gorns next it will be with Terrain (Dust cloud or Asteriods or planet!) Very Happy

Furthermore my raid into sector 41 did cut 3 Gorn convoys (with value of 45 points!!) Laughing

TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorns are most upset by the raiding of their supply lines Sad
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the Andros could manage raiding into sector 41! (I have, your turn!)

This might just keep the Gorns form destroying me for a couple more turns (just the right amount of time you'll need, to destroy the LDR starbase Laughing )

TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack always with the raiding...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: