Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andromedans and Disruptors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian380

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Andromedans and Disruptors Reply with quote

Hello All,
Rule 3G2b seems to differentiate between 'burn through' caused by disruptors and power that is 'not absorbed'.
I understand the rule but I don't understand why damage caused by disruptors is mentioned separately here. Damage is damage right? And power 'not absorbed' is the same as 'burn through' isn't it?
Regards,
Sebastian
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the lighter damage disrupters do, it was set up as a special case, which has a secondary affect on PAs.
Sebastian380

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I had misread 3C8, Shield Burn Through and was under the impression that EVERY 10 points of damage included one internal damage point.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian380 wrote:
Thank you. I had misread 3C8, Shield Burn Through and was under the impression that EVERY 10 points of damage included one internal damage point.

It does - almost. You score one burnthrough for every 10 points of damage scored, if the volley includes disruptor damage.

Example 1: 32 points of damage, of which 4 points are from a disruptor, are scored on an Intruder with empty panels. 3 points are scored as burnthrough damage, the remaining 29 points are absorbed by the panels.

Example 2: 32 points of damage, with no disruptor hits in the volley, are scored on an Intruder with empty panels. One point of damage is scored as burnthrough; the remaining 31 points are absorbed by the panels.

The difference is that for non-disruptor damage - on ships with or without PA panels - only one burnthrough per volley can be scored, no matter how much total damage is in the volley (up to the point at which the shields/PA panels fail, at which burnthrough doesn't happen anyway).

For damage which includes disruptor damage, against PA panels, you get one burnthrough for each complete group of 10 points in the volley.

Note that the total amount of damage caused by the disruptors is irrelevant; there just has to be some damage (even one point will do) from disruptors in the volley.

This also means that if you include disruptors in a voley, and they miss, no disruptor damage is scored and so you will get only one burnthrough point maximum, if you score at least 10 points of damage on your target.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. Now it's clear. But, I hadn't considered the implications. Isn't this a very heavy bias in favour of disruptors?
I'm a new player so I haven't got the experience to tell.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the problem with disruptors vs. PA panels was always that they lacked a credible threat against PA panels because they didn't have sufficient 'crunch' power to cause enough damage in one go. The PA panels would have time to recover between disruptor volleys such that the disruptors would be largely ineffective.

This special disruptor ability was included in order to try to redress that somewhat.

I think that's the reason, anyway. Disruptors are not all that powerful against PA panels unless they have the burnthrough rule to help them.

No doubt if I am incorrect, someone will come along quite soon and let us know Wink
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony is correct.
Disruptors by the,selves lack the "crunch power" of Photons, Plasmas, or PPDs. They can average the same damage as the other heavies over time... but not in a single turn.

The 1 burnthough point per 10 points of disruptor damage was a "kludge" to give disruptor armed ships a chance versus Andromedans.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO if I understand it right...

1) 32 damage with no disrupter = 1 burn through
2) 32 damage with disrupte = 3 burn throughs

Is that right?

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
SO if I understand it right...

1) 32 damage with no disrupter = 1 burn through
2) 32 damage with disrupte = 3 burn throughs

Is that right?

That's correct. But only with PA panels; against shields it would still be only 1 burnthrough. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: