Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damage and Directed Targeting Question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxwell Luther
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Damage and Directed Targeting Question... Reply with quote

To clarify what I've read:

1. When you target weapons/power, rolls of Table 1-2 / 5-6 are switched to table 6 / 1. Are all other rolls treated as normal, i.e. if you roll a 3, you use chart 3 regardless of whether you Directed Targeting or not?

2. You can ONLY target weapons or power, not command or other systems, correct? So no taking potshots at chart 2 to target the Bridge?

3. Speaking of the Bridge, there only seems to be one spot on one table for it and it only covers the main Bridge and Flag bridge, not a generic 'Control' result which might be conceivably used to mark out the Emergency and Auxiliary bridges. Are Marine assaults the only way to take out EMER and AUX Bridge boxes?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage and Directed Targeting Question... Reply with quote

Maxwell Luther wrote:

1. When you target weapons/power, rolls of Table 1-2 / 5-6 are switched to table 6 / 1. Are all other rolls treated as normal, i.e. if you roll a 3, you use chart 3 regardless of whether you Directed Targeting or not?

Correct. Directed targeting gives you a 50% chance to hit the desired system.
When directing on Power, rolls of 1, 5, or 6 use chart #1 and 2-4 act as normal.
When directing on Weapons, rolls of 1,2, or 6 use cahrt #6 and rolls of 3-5 are unchaged.
But as the ships become damaged, remember that directed targeting causes all skipped damage points to count as lost hits.

Quote:
2. You can ONLY target weapons or power, not command or other systems, correct? So no taking potshots at chart 2 to target the Bridge?

Correct... read rule (3D4) for a more detailed explanation.

Quote:
3. Speaking of the Bridge, there only seems to be one spot on one table for it and it only covers the main Bridge and Flag bridge, not a generic 'Control' result which might be conceivably used to mark out the Emergency and Auxiliary bridges. Are Marine assaults the only way to take out EMER and AUX Bridge boxes?

No. Look at result #7 on row 5. The primary is Aux Con and the alternate is Emer.
Maxwell Luther
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage and Directed Targeting Question... Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Maxwell Luther wrote:

Correct. Directed targeting gives you a 50% chance to hit the desired system.
When directing on Power, rolls of 1, 5, or 6 use chart #1 and 2-4 act as normal.
When directing on Weapons, rolls of 1,2, or 6 use cahrt #6 and rolls of 3-5 are unchaged.
But as the ships become damaged, remember that directed targeting causes all skipped damage points to count as lost hits.

Cool. That's what I thought, just double checking.

Quote:
Quote:

Correct... read rule (3D4) for a more detailed explanation.

Yeah, I figured that was specifically what it meant, but as I know someone will ask me that on game night considering the use of the word 'could' in that section, which might be inferred as 'here are a couple of options,' even though 3D4c only mentions those two (there are still plenty of rules lawyers in this world looking for loopholes and I happen to be friends with some of them), I thought I'd get a verification on that.

Quote:
Quote:

No. Look at result #7 on row 5. The primary is Aux Con and the alternate is Emer.

Ah, there it is. How I missed it on the first dozen passes, I have no idea. Thanks, Scoutdad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: