Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring 2013 FCOL Tourney: Info, Announcements and Deadlines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique of bidding system Reply with quote

ncrcalamine wrote:

Base squadron
The player who gets stuck with the base squadron should be allowed to change the squadron so long as the points get worse or stay the same. The defaut race and point total should be that, not a booby prize. (important)
In this tourney I would have played Two fed stike ca and an ncl for 415, and allowed Jim to play his lyran bid.

I disagree. Its not a booby prize, its the base line squadron others are comparing to when bidding.

When I'm bidding or considering bidding I'm thinking about what is already in, i.e the base squadron as is. Using points is, as we know, a bad way to balance, allowing the base sqaudron to change based on points doesn't work because you can get a much better squadron for the same or worse points.

The base squad is there as a base for every one to consider what sort of squadron they need to have a chance. I'm bidding based in the SHIPs I know I will face not the points they happen to come to. 2 NCAs and a CS, or 2 CS and an NCA is a vastly superior squadron to the existing base squadron for the same or worse points, and would have almost certainly altered some of the bidding.

On the other hand I'm not so keen on the rigid 24 hour format and any one dive in with a bid, by the time someone on the US West coast bids it is likely 12 hours before I'll see what empire is up, and there's a good chance others will have beaten me to most of the likely squadrons just because of my time zone. It is however faster and cuts to the chase better.
pinbot
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was definitely feeling the threat of getting the base squad when the Frax bidding was going on. I also noticed and interesting pinch on the Seltorians with their short roster. Assuming 2 CA's and a leader, if I bid for the DN then someone else could have bid the BC, and I wouldn't have been down to a CC. Of course, that's just because they have so few options, and maybe that's a desired effect in the bidding.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bidding pressures were all intentional. They drive players to go directly to their final bid or to bid something just above what they would be comfortable fighting against.

Also, if you are worried about sniping, make sure you are at the lowest bid you can live at. If you get sniped below that bid, you won't want that empire anyways.

The make up of the base squadron is as important as its point value. It is not something that should be changed once it is set as everybody's bidding is based on fighting that specific squadron (as well as the others that have been already awarded).

I picked the Base Squadron. Therefore, I in fact did get to pick an empire and a squadron for it.

I have not been able to get anyone in any online tournament to play a civil war scenario. So, I am not going there.

The Base Squadron will likely usually be Feds (but not necessarily always) because it is also the bidding opt out option for new players. I actually find it a bit of disaster to let new players play the Klingons. I have seen too many new players just plunge in with the Klingons against the Feds or another close in crunch empire. We all know how that goes. The Feds are far more forgiving though it takes some experience to deal with their power limitations.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RECAP of TOURNAMENT SCENARIO

The scenario for all matches in this tounament will be as follows:

Map:

The map shall be 84 hexes by 60 hexes Fixed Map (this is functionally the equivalent of a standard Federal Commander small-hex Location Map).

Any ship which leaves the map as a result of the player's own movement (or the movement of a ship he tractored) is considered to have been destroyed. Any ship held in a tractor beam that will be forced to move off the map as a result of the opposing ship's movement is immediately released from the tractor in the last hex of the map (and does not leave the map). If its facing is such that its next movement would force it to exit the map and it cannot turn by any means to avoid doing so, it immediately stops (Speed Zero) in that hex; it otherwise will move normally (subject to its own speed plot) from that point. Drones, shuttles, and plasma torpedoes whose movement would force them to exit the map are destroyed.

A non-Class-S, Gas Giant (6A4) that is seven hexes in diameter is centered on hex 4230. It is surrounded by a ring that is one hex wide and 15 hexes in diameter. The ring is considered to be Dust (6B2a).

Players may want to mark the boundaries of the Gas Giant with planet counters and the Ring with asteroid counters. These counters are available under the "Other" tab of the FC Online Client

Starting Locations:

One force begins in or within one hex of hex 1736 and the other begins in or within one hex of hex 4952. Note that these two hexes are 32 hexes apart and that the ring around the Gas Giant does not lie between the two hexes. The center of the Gas Giant is 25 hexes from these two hexes.

If both players desire the same starting hex, they should each roll a die. The player with the higher die roll decides which player starts at each of the two starting hexes.

Victory:

Use the Point Value Victory System (8B2) with the following exceptions:

a. There is no adjustment for the difference in the starting point values for the two sides (i.e., (B2a) is not in effect).

b. Captured enemy ships are only worth 110% of their point value rather than 200% of their point value.

c. After the completion of 10 turns, if the victory point totals of the two players differ by more than 30 points and the player with the higher total has earned at least 150 victory points, the player with the higher total "wins" and the other player "loses". Otherwise, both players earn a "draw".

d. If one player resigns, the resigning player "loses" and the other player "wins".

e. If a game ends before the completion of 10 turns without a resignation by either player, both players earn a "draw" unless the victory point totals of the two players differ by more than 3 points for each turn completed and the player with the higher total has earned at least 15 victory points for each turn completed. If the point totals of the two players do differ by more than 3 points for each turn completed and the player with the higher total has earned at least 15 victory points for each turn completed, the player with the higher total "wins" the battle and the other player "loses" the battle.

Special Rules:

Ships with cloaking devices can use them for a total of 48 impulses, including the fade impulses, in any given game. At the end of the 48th impulse, the cloaking devices fail and will no longer function for the remainder of that game. Note that this is done for each individual ship. This applies whether the opposing ships have cloaking devices or not.

The following modifications to the Federation Commander Cloaking (5P) rules are in effect:

- Voiding doesn't affect the damage modifier. All other protections are still removed.

- Voiding only lasts for one impulse, regardless of cause. (Note that a tractored ship will still be re-voided every impulse.)

- Entering a web hex merely voids the cloak, though it is re-voided every impulse it remains in the hex.

- On the impulse the ship becomes fully cloaked, all seeking weapons targeted on the ship are removed from play, subject to its speed: Speed 0 (or Stopped) removes all seeking weapons; Speed 8 removes all seeking weapons farther than 4 hexes; Speed 16 removes all seeking weapons farther than 8 hexes.

- If a cloaked ship performs emergency deceleration, all seeking weapons still tracking it are removed.

Time Limit:

There is no time limit in terms of hours played. Instead, each match between players shall last for ten (10) turns or until one player concedes. You don't have to play all ten turns at once. You'll have one month to get each match in, and it should be possible to save the game in mid-game. In general, player match ups will be provided by the Judge in consultation with the Assistant Judge prior to the start of each month and results must reported by players back to the Judge and Assistant Judge within one month of that date.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring 2013 Federation Commander Online Tournament Kickoff

Player List

Pinbot - Seltorian 1 x BC and 2 x NC (474 points)
Ncrcalamine - Lyran 1 x BC, 1 x CC and 1 x DW (442 points)
Storyelf - Frax 1 x CA, 1 x CW and 2 x DW (464 points)
Sebastian380 - Klingon 1 x C8, 1 x F5W and 1 x F5 (446 points)
JimDauphinais - Federation 1 x CC and 2 x CA (445 points)

Match Schedule

You may play each of your matches below in any order you want and at any time you want with one exception. The exception is that you must complete each match by no later than its scheduled deadline.

For example, the JimDauphinais versus Sebastian380 match must be completed by no later than July 10, 2013.

Code:

Deadline:       Deadline:       Deadline:       Deadline:       Deadline:
                May 10th       June 10th       July 10th      August 10th    September 10th
                --------        --------        --------        --------        --------

pinbot      jimdauphinais      storeylf      ncrcalamine     sebastian380
  Match #1         vs              vs              vs              vs              vs
              sebastian380       pinbot          pinbot          pinbot         storeylf

ncrcalamine     sebastian380   jimdauphinais      storeylf      ncrcalamine
  Match #2         vs              vs              vs              vs              vs
                storeylf      ncrcalamine     sebastian380   jimdauphinais   jimdauphinais

Sit Out    jimdauphinais      storeylf      ncrcalamine     sebastian380       pinbot

The Winners of completed matches will be shown in all capital letters.

Good luck to everyone and have fun!

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly interesting set of empires. The only 'crunch' empire being the base squadron. Three disrupter empires, and the Selts with their rapid fire mini disrupters.

I've never played Frax before, only against them, so that should be amusing.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, though I look at the Lyrans as being partly a crunch empire with the ESGs. Also, the Seltorians can shield crunch and board against the empires with weaker marine contingents if the players of those empires get careless.

I look forward to the games.

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I would class the Lyrans as crunch as well really, It was to late last night and I wasn't really thinking to much before heading for bed. I was just taken a back a bit by having mainly single turn armers.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to get games in, I should be free UK evenings from Tuesday - Thursday, then the weekend. Happy to play anyone who wants to get a game in.

Jim - any chance you would change to get any game in by each date, rather than specific ones. I understand the desire to see that progress is being made, but does it really matter which game people get in?

It might not make any difference if everyone is available, but I'd rather not have the pressure to match up with a specific opponent each month.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ensure convergence toward all of the games being completed by September 10th, I felt structure was needed to help things along over the course of the total time allotted. This is why certain games need to be completed by no later than a certain date.

If the requirement was to only get at least one your games completed each month, I feel it would be much harder for everyone to figure out how to schedule their games. This said, I am open to repositioning matches in the matrix on the fly provided it does not inhibit any other player from completing a match for the month. So, if you want to reposition where a match is in the matrix, you will need to get agreement from all of those players that are directly affected by the repositioning. However, I expect it will be difficult to get that agreement as it will typically involve getting two or three other players (besides yourself) to agree to the repositioning.

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are folks coming along with getting their matches played?

Thanks,

Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Klingons and Selts play to a DRAW Reply with quote

The first match (at least I think it's the first match) has been played. Pinbot and Sebastian380 have played to a draw. I'll post a detailed report as soon as I get the time. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to the next match. Thank you Erich.
pinbot
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that was a great fight. Thank you too!

I wish we could have gotten through a bit more of it--but it was certainly all my fault that our tempo was a bit low at times. Fortunately, I'm feeling pretty well adapted to the online client now, as well as the mental demands of multi-ship actions. So I confidently hope to play more briskly henceforth, and I'm Looking forward to more!
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee and Nicole - Any progress with your game?

Pinbot - I will be sending you an email to try to schedule our game.

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arranged a game with Nicole last week, then managed to forget about it by the time it came round. My fault.

However, my subscription has run out again, and I'm probably not going to be resubscribing at the moment. Whilst it may not be much, I can't really justify the money given how few games I play online. If I can get something a bit more frequent then I'll reconsider.

Effectively I'm dropping out, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: