Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How playable is the old TFG version?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: How playable is the old TFG version? Reply with quote

Several years ago, I found an old used copy of the 1986 Task Force Games version of Federation & Empire for pretty cheap at a small local game store. I bought it because I was familiar with SFB and my roommate and I played Starfleet Command against each other on our computers fairly often. We never really got a chance to dig into this copy of F&E though, and I completely forgot about this game until recently when I started going through my game collection with the intention of playing games I haven't yet played at least once.

Anyway, I'm curious about how playable this early edition of the game is. Does it play well as-is, or should I look into updating or expanding the rules and components?

Also, how easy, short, and light can I make this game without stripping away its essence? Most of my friends prefer light-to-medium board games and card games that play between 30 minutes and 3 hours and don't seem to be so much into games with huge hex-maps and hundreds of counters. I know a few of them can enjoy lengthy heavier games, but a game that takes multiple days to complete probably won't ever make it to the table, especially if the don't even know if they'll like the game going into it.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should play well enough. If you like it and find opponents you can upgrade the rulebook later.

The full game will take multiple days, indeed, but there are shorter scenarios. If you email me, I'll email you one you can play in a night.
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Email sent.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scenario sent.
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: