Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evasive Maneuvers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kboruff
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Yes, it looks like you got it.

Excellent! The last thing I have to be clear on is how many impulses I have to wait to terminate EM.

Emergency deceleration and end of turn aside, I have to wait 2 full impulses after the impulse of announcement before I can terminate?

So at the beginning of the 3rd impulse (during speed change phase), I can terminate it?

That said, is my ship free of all the EM limitations/benefits at the start of that 3rd impulse? (defensive fire/offensive fire/tractor...)?

Lastly, if I extend EM beyond one turn, I can see that Turn Break Exception-1 goes into effect and I have to pay EM costs for that turn as we discussed before:

From 2D4d:

Evasive Maneuvers do not continue into the next turn (unless power is spent in the Energy Allocation Phase of that turn, which counts as an Announcement for purposes of termination, but does not extend the point at which Evasive Maneuvers can be terminated).

If I'm reading this correctly, I'm not bound by the new announcement point of the new turn for termination purposes. I am bound by my original announcement point in previous turn(s).

In other words, if I extend EM into next turn, do I have to wait 2 full impulses of that turn to terminate (terminate at impulse #3) even though EM was announced at least 1 impulse prior in previous turn?

If I get/have clarity on the termination process of EM, I think that will do it for EM. Any further questions from me on this will probably be of a tactical nature (in another forum).

Thanks.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kboruff wrote:
Emergency deceleration and end of turn aside, I have to wait 2 full impulses after the impulse of announcement before I can terminate?

So at the beginning of the 3rd impulse (during speed change phase), I can terminate it?

Yes, you have to wait for two full impulses. So, if you started EM on Impulse 1, you cannot cancel until Impulse 4. And, while you are under the restrictions of EM at the start of Impulse 4, it doesn't matter since you are cancelling it before actually doing anything that impulse.

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly, I'm not bound by the new announcement point of the new turn for termination purposes. I am bound by my original announcement point in previous turn(s).

That is correct. If you are continuing EM into a new turn, when you can cancel is based on when you originally started EM, not the beginning of this turn.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: "Firing" probes under Evasive Maneuvers? Reply with quote

Can a probe be launched (fired) to gather information while a ship is under Evasive Maneuvers?

I think the answer will be "no" but I want to be sure.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Lab info and evasive Reply with quote

Is lab info gained from a probe halved if a ship goes evasive later in the Turn?

Example:
Suppose a ship launches a probe on Impulse 2 and gains 20 points of data. On Impulse 4 it declares its going evasive and does so before the Turn ends. Is the data gained by that probe cut in half when data is totaled at the end of the Turn?

=====
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules basically don't cover that interaction. So, I am checking with Steve on what the ruling should be.

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike West, are you able to clarify about whether probes can be launched (or fired) while a ship is under evasive maneuvers?

=====
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just answered Mike's question by email and will let him post it.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is that this was missed in the rules. The answers are:
1. A probe may not be fired, either for information or as a weapon, while performing Evasive Maneuvers.
2. A probe fired for information gains all 20points, even if the ship performs Evasive Maneuvers in other impulses of the turn.

This keeps the interaction in line with SFB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: