Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Module R2 rules in PDF?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Module R2 rules in PDF? Reply with quote

I asked about this on the FB group, and Jean said to email SVC and ask if Steve Petrick could work on it. As I don't know SVC's email, I figured I would post it here and hopefully someone will bring it to his attention.

I recently bought a number of FC and SFB products from w23, including the SFB R Modules. One of them, R2, has the SSDs available, but not the rulebook. Can the R2 Rulebook be released on PDF?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still want to email SVC, his contact info is on the Contact page for the ADB website.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/contact.shtml
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem (here we go again) is that back when we posted a few non-updated books as PDFs we got so totally trashed in reviews that it cost us thousands of dollars in sales. So, we only upload books that have been updated, and updating one book takes a couple of months. There is a list of books to update and I am sure if R2 is not on line that means it hasn't been updated. There is a staff meeting tomorrow and I'll bring up the question. (I am not the one who updates them and I really don't know where that project is.)

Okay, I just this minute sent an email across the hall to Steve Petrick (chief of SFB) telling him to bring his list of what modules have been updated & upload and which ones have not. I have instructed him to pick the easiest one and get it uploaded this month. Given the MSSBs I would think R2 would be fairly easy.

BTW, my email address is literally in every product.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you! I was actually wondering if it may have been an oversight, given that it was so unusual for the SSD book for a module to be out on PDF w/o the rulebook.

Stupid me, I didn't think to look in the books for your email. Embarassed
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I got some people together yesterday and found out that the reason the other books haven't been updated is we still have stocks of the old printing. It was deemed to be non productive to update R2 if that mean throwing away hundreds of dollars worth of books we already paid for.

The matter is complicated and will be reviewed at a future meeting.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... there is good news and not exactly good not exactly bad news.

The staff meeting today found that the stockpile (232) of R2 rulebooks is not much money (they were printed many years ago in a batch of 10,000 so they cost about a dime each). So at some near term point they will be discarded and new updated books will be done.

That said...

We have just run out of print of another book which has to be done first.

Then we will see if anything else needs to be done before we update R2.

We will be spending four weeks doing nothing but CL54 at some point that will start sometime in June. (That depends on when I recover from the 3 Jun surgery. If you don't know, I have lost 150 pounds in the last two years so there is this ugly empty circus tent wrapped around my middle and only one way for it to go away. That will involve a very long but very shallow incision and I have to be very careful until it heals or my insides will fall out.)

I should be back at my desk sometime between 10 and 30 June. Then Steve Petrick and I will do CL54. Before and after CL54, he will update whatever he can. It is at least theoretically possible that the out of stock book and R2 and something else could all get done before I get back from surgery. It is not impossible that even during recovery someone could bring me a clipboard of pages to review. It is also not impossible that he might not get R2 done before sometime in August. But at least it's moving and I thank you for inspiring me to look into the matter.

I do look forward to spending my recovery period playing PLANETBASE and CLIFF EMPIRE on Steam.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update. Good luck with your operation!
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Module R2 Rulebook PDF likely to be released by the end of this year?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it; there are too many others that need updating. We cannot upload anything we do not update or we get trashed in reviews which lowers the sales of every product. We will update everything but not all on one day.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious - why was it decided not to release the R2 Rulebook along with the SSD books, like the other R-Module books were?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We update the books separately. When we ran out of R2 SSD books, we updated it. We had R2 rulebooks in stock (the computer, which could be wrong, says we still have 1992 printing rulebooks in the warehouse) so there was no need to switch it to POD and so it wasn't updated at that time.
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Then we will see if anything else needs to be done before we update R2..

For those of us that have purchased Module R2 some years before, will a link be provided to download the update?

Thanks.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have never done that before. Updated books are separate products. PDFs are separate products. Some companies price their books higher than we do in order to include PDFs; we price each product for what it's worth and let you spend your money where you want to without having to buy things you don't want to buy. Any company that gives you something free is charging more for something else.

I will note that once you buy a PDF you get the updates if/when they happen automatically and free.
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
We have never done that before. Updated books are separate products. PDFs are separate products. Some companies price their books higher than we do in order to include PDFs; we price each product for what it's worth and let you spend your money where you want to without having to buy things you don't want to buy. Any company that gives you something free is charging more for something else.

I will note that once you buy a PDF you get the updates if/when they happen automatically and free.

I don't think I was clear - I purchased the PDF version of this product.

So you answered my question. Smile

One other question I noticed that you have updated certain rule sets since the 2012 Master rulebook pdf - are these changes going to be incorporated into the MRB in the near future?

If no, I'll be honest - I would pay for all the new rules if they were incorporated in one rulebook.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MRB gets updated now and then with everything done. You'd have to ask Jean or Steve Petrick if they update it every time they update a component (they don't read this forum so Email will work). I honestly don't know. I have enough trouble figuring out which F&E Books I have updated and in what order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: