Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prime Directive Miniatures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Prime Directive Miniatures Reply with quote

I saw some posts on the discus board on starfleetgames.com which discussed Prime Directive miniatures and included a really awesome looking green-stuff sculpt of a Klingon in 28mm heroic scale. I was wondering whether that figure or any other figures which would be appropriate for a Prime Directive game were coming into production anytime soon. Smile

It seems to me that 28mm Star Fleet Universe figures could well have a broader market than Prime Directive in its variants might have. I know I'd certainly use them in canon Star Trek RPG games like Decipher's if they were available, and I'm sure there are people who would just like to buy them to paint even without a game in mind.
CmdrKiley
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would love to see some 28mm figures. I think there's a market for it. Everytime the pic of that Klingon green shows up on TMP there's lots of excitement.

Mega Minis and Victory Force both make some "generic starship crew" figures that look rather classic and could easily be used for Prime Directive. These have generated some excitement on the forums when they first appeared. However, I'd like to see some more figures based on the PD artwork. Not only would these minis be applicable for Prime Directive, but useful for those who play the ST RPGs by Fasa, Last Unicorn Games, and Decipher. Gorn, Klingons, Kziniti, and Romulans would be very popular as there's no equivalent out there. Furthermore non-canonical minis like Seltorians, Lyrans, Zoolies, Hydrans, Hildarians, and such would be very applicable for other Sci Fi applications beyond PD.

Also I think a 28mm miniature skirmish game based on PD would very popular. Think small scale, like Urban War, Necromunda, or Rezolution. You'd have 4-12 models on each side representing a Prime Team and supporting Marines. You could have scenarios involving beaming in and sabotaging enemy ships and such. There's lots of potential with this.
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree about a land based miniatures rule game with Prime Teams and the like, but I didn't want to jump the phaser... Very Happy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things on SVC's list of things to do is a tactical skirmish game called "Star Fleet Assault". It's still in the early stages of playtesting, but it looks good and will work seamlessly with SFB / FC / and Prime Directive.

Based on the turn length and movement scales, you could easily have a Federation Commander battle involving the Battle Station orbiting the planet while your PD characters are duking it out on the planet's surface.

Or, you could have a battalion of marines launching a frontal assault on a Klingon stronghold while your PD team attempts to infiltrate through a secret passage...

The possibilities are nearly endless.
CmdrKiley
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear. Is there a line of minis to support it?

Hopefully it's not simply a re-issue of the Harliquin (now Black Tree Design) figures. I like those figures but I'd rather see something more representative of the artwork established in the PD books and see some representation beyond just Federation Forces.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CmdrKiley wrote:
That's great to hear. Is there a line of minis to support it?

It's not out yet. Nor is there anything other than PD that would have a use for Starfleet Universe miniatures that aren't starships. So no line of minis yet.

I expect that may change when the game is released, however.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to do character figures for two years. One sculptor who signed up to do 12 did one and disappeared. Two more signed up to do six each and never did any. I have more projects to manage than i can manage, so this one just got forgotten, because I can't do it myself (you do not want to see my sculpting) and the sculptors never delivered and I just got tired of asking them "when?" and getting "soon" but no minis.

When I get past Origins and get some other things done, the number of projects I am managing will steadily decline (as projects are finished) and sooner or later I'll pick up this project on my active list again.
CmdrKiley
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps work out a license deal with one of the manufacturers already making 'trek'ish' looking minis. Someone like Victory Force's line. As the models already come with different head and hand options, have them sculpt up some alternate heads (like Andorians, Vulcans, Cygnians, etc), and you have the makings of a Federation team already started. Maybe even some phaser rifles and such.

Then get them to do Klingon and Romulan sets as you need to have some opposing forces.

Here's that Green of a Klingon. Don't know who made him, but he'd be excellent for PD.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrwigglesworth@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/caedre2&.dnm=c421re2.jpg&.src=ph

Victory Force Miniatures line of Space Farers

Mega Minis makes a number of really cheap minis called Bridge Crew (scroll to bottom) I think they're true 25mm however. Neat thing is you get seats and seated figures as well.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Original Series episode in which Spock has to return to Vulcan to get married (can't remember the title), there's a Vulcan character with a big axe and an odd face mask. The Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy "Dark Elf Executioner" is a dead ringer for this guy. Right down to the pointed ears. Not that I'm implying that there's any shenanigans going on, of course! Wink Wink
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see what can be done, after Origins, and after some other projects lighten my load.

He who tries to manage every imaginable project, all at once, manages nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: