Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Border Box #2 Woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Border Box #2 Woes Reply with quote

I brought Border Box #2 with me to work today to do clean-up and gluing of extra bits. I got to the Klingons and discovered the neck of one of the D5Ws was snapped off right in the middle. After about 10 tries, I finally got it to stick, at least for now. However, with enough glue to hold it, even temporarily, it now looks like a stork that tried to swallow a 10 lb. fish whole... Smile

Then when I got to the Kzinti, the (what I assume to be) Medium Cruisers both have the complete starboard side 'arm' busted off, and on one, the port 'hand' of the 'arm' is also busted off. On the other, one of the nacelles is busted off right behind where it joins the ship. Crying or Very sad

I've got an email into support, just waiting to hear back.

Also with the Kzinti, it's not easy telling which miniature is which class of ship. Am I correct in thinking the Medium Cruisers are the same body as the NCA and NCC, but without the extra 'body' attachment (with the extra pair of nacelles) added?

On a brighter note, I've got my first three Feds from Border Box #3 done (decals and all)! Very Happy I've got the rest of the Feds from that box painted, just need to get the decals on them. I still need to take pictures of the completed ones and get them up on my website...
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klingon booms and engines are notorious for getting broke (more often in-play). The old multi-piece mini's were much, much worse about this.

I have several old Starline2200 Klingons with busted booms. My plan to repair them is this -
I'm going to use a very tiny hand-drill (a set of which I got at my local hobby shop) to drill small holes in either end of the break. Into these holes I am placing a small length of steel rod (actually chunks snipped from straight needles my wife donated from her sewing supplies) and then epoxy the two pieces together with the steel reinforcing the joint. This lets the steel take the bumps and crashes. All the glue is doing is keeping the parts next to each other.

I'm hoping to use the same approach to repair my old plastic Fed CA engines, all of which snapped off at the base (next to the secondary hull). Drilling the holes in plastic should be easier.

I also plan to use bent pieces of steel rod (same little needle chunks, bent in a needle-nose pliers) to reinforce the joints on all my old (separate) Klingon engines.

I used this already on a kitbash, and it worked out quite well. It does take a steady hand and good eyesight, but so does painting... Wink
Shadow
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about trying to pin the boom, but factoring in the steadiness of my hands (or lack thereof) as well as my eyesight (or lack thereof for things that detailed) as well as how thin the boom is, I think that would fail miserably in my case.

I guess if I can't get the models replaced, worse case scenario is I could use a straight pin or a straight piece of paper clip and just glue it under the boom (and the same for the Kzinti arms). Don't want to do that unless I have to though... Crying or Very sad
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Border Box #2 Woes Reply with quote

Shadow wrote:
I brought Border Box #2 with me to work today to do clean-up and gluing of extra bits. I got to the Klingons and discovered the neck of one of the D5Ws was snapped off right in the middle. After about 10 tries, I finally got it to stick, at least for now. However, with enough glue to hold it, even temporarily, it now looks like a stork that tried to swallow a 10 lb. fish whole... Smile

Then when I got to the Kzinti, the (what I assume to be) Medium Cruisers both have the complete starboard side 'arm' busted off, and on one, the port 'hand' of the 'arm' is also busted off. On the other, one of the nacelles is busted off right behind where it joins the ship. Crying or Very sad

I've got an email into support, just waiting to hear back.

Also with the Kzinti, it's not easy telling which miniature is which class of ship. Am I correct in thinking the Medium Cruisers are the same body as the NCA and NCC, but without the extra 'body' attachment (with the extra pair of nacelles) added?

On a brighter note, I've got my first three Feds from Border Box #3 done (decals and all)! Very Happy I've got the rest of the Feds from that box painted, just need to get the decals on them. I still need to take pictures of the completed ones and get them up on my website...

Can't wait to see the pictures. I am sorry for the woes; but Djdood is correct. I have drilled and pinned (I also use fine gauge sewing needles) the booms on a couple of Klingons and have drilled and pinned both engines on the same Fed tug - so that method does work. It only requires a bit of patience.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got ships broken in the box, Email Leanna to send you replacements. If you broke it yourself, talk to the lady and see if she'll make you a deal of some kind.
Shadow
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came that way from a sealed box. I had sent an email (two actually, I hadn't discovered the Kzinti when I sent the first) to support@starfleetgames.com. Should I send one to Leanna in addition to this? If so, what is her direct email?

Thanks!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanna is sales@starfleetgames.com

In general, if you have any issues, or even just questions, about the online store, that is the email to use.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support is Vanessa's computer. Vanessa left six weeks ago and her email is rarely checked. It should be checked more often, but its pre-origins and there is no such thing as "spare time" around here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: